http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...f-stevie-nicks

This is a really nice story on Stevie.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post

This is a really nice story on Stevie.
A few factual errors but otherwise very nice. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's really nice seeing so much love towards her solo career lately. The timing seems to be perfect, with the great press and reviews she's been getting. And the shows have been selling quite well.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Thank you for telling us, TheWildheart67]

POP MUSIC NOVEMBER 28, 2016 ISSUE By Amanda Petrusich The New Yorker

THE RESURGENT APPEAL OF STEVIE NICKS

Her generous songs provide an antidote to today’s often embattled pop music.

Nicks’s music has long been considered a balm for stubborn strains of heartache: her songs are unsparing about the brutality of loss, yet buoyed by a kind of subtle optimism.

Nicks’s music has long been considered a balm for stubborn strains of heartache: her songs are unsparing about the brutality of loss, yet buoyed by a kind of subtle optimism.

The cover of “Bella Donna,” Stevie Nicks’s first solo album, shows the artist looking slender and wide-eyed, wearing a white gown, a gold bracelet, and a pair of ruched, knee-high platform boots. One arm is bent at an improbable angle; a sizable cockatoo sits on her hand. Behind her, next to a small crystal ball, is a tambourine threaded with three long-stemmed white roses. Nicks did not invent this storefront-psychic aesthetic—it is indebted, in varying degrees, to Hans Christian Andersen’s Thumbelina, de Troyes’s Guinevere, and Cher—but, beginning in the mid-nineteen-seventies, she came to embody it. The image was girlish and delicate, yet inscrutable, as if Nicks were suggesting that the world might not know everything she’s capable of.

This intimation is newly germane: a vague but feminine mysticism is in. Lorde, Azealia Banks, FKA Twigs, chvrches, Grimes, and Beyoncé have all incorporated bits of pagan-influenced iconography into their music videos and performances. Young women are now embracing benign occult representations, reclaiming the rites and ceremonies that women were once chastised (or worse) for performing. On runways, on the streets, and in thriving Etsy shops, you can find an assortment of cloaks, crescent-moon pendants, flared chiffon skirts, and the occasional jewelled headdress.

While Nicks’s sartorial choices have been widely mimicked, it’s rare to hear echoes of her magnanimity in modern pop songs, which are frequently defensive and embattled, preaching self-sufficiency at any cost. It’s difficult to imagine Nicks singing a lyric like “Middle fingers up, put them hands high / Wave it in his face, tell him, boy, bye,” as Beyoncé does in “Sorry,” a song from her newest album, “Lemonade.” Nicks’s default response to betrayal is more introspective than aggressive. Her music has long been considered a balm for certain stubborn strains of heartache; her songs are unsparing regarding the brutality of loss, yet they are buoyed by a kind of subtle optimism. It’s as if, by the time Nicks got around to singing about something, she already knew that she would survive it.

This month, “Bella Donna,” from 1981, and Nicks’s second solo album, “The Wild Heart,” from 1983, are being reissued. Nicks was thirty-three when “Bella Donna” was released. Though its cover might not suggest an excess of reason, in its songs she is a sagacious and measured presence. Her acknowledgment of the heart’s capriciousness is gentle, if not grandmotherly. There’s surely no kinder summation of love’s petulance than the chorus of “Think About It,” a jangling folk song about taking a breath before hurling yourself off a metaphorical cliff. “And the heart says, ‘Danger!’ ” Nicks sings. She pauses briefly. “And the heart says, ‘Whatever.’ ” For anyone busy self-flagellating over an error in judgment, this can feel like a rope ladder thrown from above—an invitation to scramble up and out of despair. It is generous and knowing, and offers a clear-eyed conclusion: some things can’t be helped.

In 2012, Tavi Gevinson, the young founder of Rookie, an online magazine concerned chiefly with the complexities of teen-age girlhood, ended a tedx talk with some blunt advice: “Just be Stevie Nicks. That’s all you have to do.” What does it mean to be Stevie Nicks? To understand loss and longing as being merely the cost of doing business? To acknowledge the bottomless nature of certain aches, yet to know, in some instinctive way, that you’ll keep going? Nicks evokes Byron, in spirit and in certitude: “The heart will break, but broken live on.”

Nicks was born in 1948, in Phoenix. Her paternal grandfather, A. J. Nicks, Sr., was a struggling country musician, and he taught Nicks how to sing when she was four years old. She was given an acoustic guitar for her sixteenth birthday, and immediately wrote a song called “I’ve Loved and I’ve Lost and I’m Sad but Not Blue.” The title is a surprisingly succinct encapsulation of Nicks’s lyrical alchemy: a combination of acceptance (I am hurting) and perspective (I will not hurt forever).

In 1966, when Nicks was in her senior year of high school and living in Atherton, California—her father, an executive at a meatpacking company, had been relocated there—she met the guitarist Lindsey Buckingham at a party. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor—bearded, curly-haired, and strumming the Mamas and the Papas’ “California Dreamin’.” Uninvited, she joined him in harmony. (“How brazen!” she later said.) Buckingham asked Nicks to join his band, Fritz. By 1971, the two were romantically involved. They eventually took off for Los Angeles, where they tried to make it as a duo, called Buckingham Nicks, releasing one album, in 1973, to very little acclaim. Not long afterward, Buckingham was asked to join Fleetwood Mac, a British blues band featuring the singer and keyboard player Christine McVie, the bassist John McVie, and the drummer Mick Fleetwood; the group was being rebooted as an American soft-rock act. Buckingham insisted that Nicks be invited, too. She ended up writing two of the band’s biggest early hits, “Landslide” and “Rhiannon.”

Extraordinary success often leads to spiritual dissolution, and Fleetwood Mac had its share of psychic turmoil. In 1975, Fleetwood divorced his wife, the model Jenny Boyd, after she had an affair with one of his former bandmates. Nicks and Buckingham broke up the following year. Around the same time, John and Christine McVie’s marriage collapsed. There was an ungodly amount of brandy and cocaine on hand to help nullify the despair. Still, in 1977, Fleetwood Mac—now five wild-eyed, newly single people—released “Rumours,” a collection of yearning songs about love and devotion. The record spent thirty-one weeks at the top of the charts, and is one of the best-selling albums in American history.

“Tusk,” which the group released two years later, was a bombastic double LP that cost a million dollars to produce. The critic Stephen Holden, in his review of the album for Rolling Stone, suggested that Nicks sounded “more than ever like a West Coast Patti Smith.” Superficially, at least, Nicks and Smith aren’t obvious analogues. Nicks is hyperfeminine, intuitive, and bohemian; Smith is androgynous, cerebral, and gritty. But both are unusually perceptive chroniclers of their time and place.

If Smith is obliged to the Lower East Side of Manhattan—and the punk scene that included the Ramones, Television, and Suicide—Nicks’s debt is to Laurel Canyon, and to the sentimental, silky-voiced artists who emerged from L.A. in the late sixties and early seventies. Some of those acts—James Taylor, the Eagles—are now considered, fairly or not, irrelevant to the Zeitgeist: too mellow, too affluent, too sexless, too white. Candles and incense and macramé plant hangers; wistful thoughts about weather. Nicks’s lyrics often worry over domestic or earthly concerns—gardens, mountains, flowers, the seasons—and how they might affect the whims of her heart. “It makes no difference at all / ’Cause I wear boots all summer long,” she sings in “Nightbird.” When compared with the dissonant and provocative music coming out of downtown New York, the California sound could seem limp. But the scene in Laurel Canyon was tumultuous. Many of its artists—including, at various times, Nicks—were wrecked by drug addiction. Nicks’s voice, a strange, quivering contralto, gives her songs unexpected weight. Its tone reminds me of the gloaming—that lambent, transitional moment between night and day.

“Bella Donna” was produced by Jimmy Iovine, a Brooklyn-born audio engineer who worked on Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run” and produced the Patti Smith Group’s “Easter” and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “Damn the Torpedoes.” Iovine spent time in California, but his sensibility was tougher and more plainly that of the East Coast. He later became a co-founder of Interscope Records, where he helped to establish the career of the rapper Tupac Shakur, and, for a period, he oversaw the hip-hop label Death Row Records. Iovine was aware of concerns that Nicks was too coddled and immature to make a solo record as good as the records she’d made with Fleetwood Mac. Regardless, there was romantic chemistry. “This record was our love story unfolding,” she has said.

“Bella Donna” reached No. 1 on the Billboard chart, and produced four hit singles: “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” a duet with Petty; “Leather and Lace,” with Don Henley; “Edge of Seventeen”; and “After the Glitter Fades.” The last, a country song about the travails of stardom—Nicks wrote it just after she and Buckingham moved to Los Angeles, long before she had a record deal, showing either hubris or prescience—contains organ, pedal steel, and reassurances. “The dream keeps coming even when you forget to feel,” she sings.

Nicks, like most artists, culls inspiration from disparate sources. She is prone to saying things like “ ‘Edge of Seventeen’ was about Tom Petty and his wife, Jane, my uncle dying, and the assassination of John Lennon.” But her personal life—a tangle of love affairs, often with her collaborators—informs her work in explicit ways. “Heartbreak of the moment isn’t endless,” she sings, in “Think About It.” This might seem like a billowy platitude, but if you are someone who does not think that every flubbed decision is fodder for personal growth, it is comforting to hear someone assert that nearly all mistakes can be neutralized, if not conquered. If “Bella Donna” contains a single directive, it’s to love freely, love fully, and hang on.

In 1981, Iovine flew with Nicks to the Château d’Hérouville, in northern France, where Fleetwood Mac was recording its next album, “Mirage.” Iovine left almost immediately, to escape the interpersonal conflicts that roiled the band. Iovine and Nicks’s relationship foundered. The following fall, while Fleetwood Mac was on tour, Nicks’s childhood friend Robin Anderson died, of leukemia, at the age of thirty-three. “What was left over was just a big, horrible, empty world,” Nicks has said. Days before her death, Anderson had prematurely given birth to a son. Nicks, operating under the savage logic of grief, married her friend’s widower, Kim Anderson, thinking that she would help raise the child. They divorced three months later.

By 1983, Nicks was ready to make another record. Her relationship with Iovine was strained, but Nicks asked him to produce the record anyway. “The Wild Heart” is inspired in part by the unravelling of that relationship, and in part by her mourning for Anderson. Nicks frequently cites as a guiding influence for the recording sessions the 1939 film adaptation of Emily Brontë’s “Wuthering Heights,” which depicts an undying, almost fiendish love. Mostly, the songs are about bucking against the circumstances that separate us from the people we need.

The artist Justin Vernon, of the band Bon Iver, uses a brief sample of “Wild Heart” (a track from “The Wild Heart”) on the group’s new album, “22, A Million.” Nicks’s voice is sped up, pitch-altered, and barely discernible as human—just a high, grousing “wah-wah,” deployed intermittently. Vernon pinched it from a popular YouTube video of Nicks, in which she sits on a stool having her makeup done, wearing a white dress with spaghetti straps. She begins to sing. Soon, someone is messing with a piano; one of her backup singers joins in with a harmony. The makeup artist gamely tries to continue with her work, before giving up. While the studio recording of “Wild Heart” is saturated, almost wet, this version is all air, all joy.

What affects me most about the video is how profoundly Nicks appears to love singing. Her voice has an undulating, galloping quality. It is as if, once it’s started up, there’s no slowing down, no stopping; the car is careering down a mountain, with no brakes. You can see on her face how good it feels just to let go.

“Stand Back,” the first single from “The Wild Heart,” was inspired by Prince’s “Little Red Corvette,” which Nicks heard on the radio while driving with Kim Anderson to San Ysidro Ranch, in Santa Barbara, for their honeymoon. (Prince played keyboards on the track, though he’s not credited in the album’s liner notes.) The song was produced in accordance with the style of the era, with lots of synthesizer and rubbery, overdubbed percussion. The lyrics describe a deliberate seduction followed by an acute betrayal. “First he took my heart, then he ran,” Nicks sings. The chorus is appropriately punchy: “Stand back, stand back,” she warns. Nicks is capable of going fully feral before a microphone, perhaps most famously at the end of “Silver Springs,” a song intended for “Rumours” and one of several that she wrote about Buckingham. (It ends with Nicks hollering, “Was I just a fool?”) On “Stand Back,” she erupts briefly, on the middle verses, but for the rest of the song she is more characteristically sanguine. “It’s all right, it’s all right,” she concedes. “I did not hear from you, it’s all right.”

Nicks went on to make six more solo albums, and three more with Fleetwood Mac. Following her divorce from Kim Anderson, she never married again, or had any children, though a rich maternal instinct runs through all her songs. This, more than anything else, may be the reason that Nicks’s work has endured—why listeners turn to her for consolation, especially now, when many feel wounded and the radio remains rife with confrontational whoops. To be Stevie Nicks is to offer shelter. ♦

Amanda Petrusich is a contributing writer for newyorker.com, and the author of “Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World’s Rarest 78rpm Records.” MORE

This article appears in other versions of the November 28, 2016, issue, with the headline “What the Heart Says.”
Old 11-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Thank you for telling us, TheWildheart67]

This month, “Bella Donna,” from 1981, and Nicks’s second solo album, “The Wild Heart,” from 1983, are being reissued. Nicks was thirty-three when “Bella Donna” was released. Though its cover might not suggest an excess of reason, in its songs she is a sagacious and measured presence. Her acknowledgment of the heart’s capriciousness is gentle, if not grandmotherly. There’s surely no kinder summation of love’s petulance than the chorus of “Think About It,” a jangling folk song about taking a breath before hurling yourself off a metaphorical cliff. “And the heart says, ‘Danger!’ ” Nicks sings. She pauses briefly. “And the heart says, ‘Whatever.’ ” For anyone busy self-flagellating over an error in judgment, this can feel like a rope ladder thrown from above—an invitation to scramble up and out of despair. It is generous and knowing, and offers a clear-eyed conclusion: some things can’t be helped.

the line is actually -
"And the heart says,
whatever it is that you want from me
I am just one, small part of forever"

It's just that she breaks the line for a moment after the word "whatever" to fit the music.

Much more meaningful.... saying, look, whatever you want from me, I'm just one person and can only do so much. It's one of my favorite of her lines.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

You can always tell when the author is a big fan when they, lovingly, fill a blog with a lot of Stevie's and Mac's history.
Also the use of "$20 Dollar" words in there (sagacious) with a confidence that the reader/fan will know what they mean (very much appreciated )
Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm kinda veering off topic here, but am I the only one who's ever thought that Outside the Rain and How Still My Love might be connected?
The "so you're lonely, creature of the night" vs "in the still of the night/my lonely one", that whole lyrical image I get in my head is really similar. Or am I just grasping at straws?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I'm kinda veering off topic here, but am I the only one who's ever thought that Outside the Rain and How Still My Love might be connected?
The "so you're lonely, creature of the night" vs "in the still of the night/my lonely one", that whole lyrical image I get in my head is really similar. Or am I just grasping at straws?
"My songs are really just continuations of one another," Stevie confesses. "I can sit down and play a medley of 'Dreams,' 'Sara,' 'Outside the Rain,' 'How Still My Love' and 'Edge of Seventeen.' They're all little pieces. I don't try to change my songwriting that much. I don't care if it sounds like another 'Dreams' or not. I just try to make it more personal each time. But I want people to believe me when I sing. If they don't, then there's no reason for writing those really personal things down."

- Circus, 12/31/1981
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
"My songs are really just continuations of one another," Stevie confesses. "I can sit down and play a medley of 'Dreams,' 'Sara,' 'Outside the Rain,' 'How Still My Love' and 'Edge of Seventeen.' They're all little pieces. I don't try to change my songwriting that much. I don't care if it sounds like another 'Dreams' or not. I just try to make it more personal each time. But I want people to believe me when I sing. If they don't, then there's no reason for writing those really personal things down."

- Circus, 12/31/1981
Ah how interesting.
That reminds of how I've seen people point out connections between other songs, like HAEWAFY and Priest of Nothing.
Although I never really understood why people make a big deal out of Priest of Nothing. I find it too rambling. But mostly I just really hate the instrumental track she's singing along to. It's kinda awful in my opinion and ruins the whole thing. I wonder if it's Mike Campbell? I refuse to believe it came from FM because I will never believe Lindsey would write something that ugly.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah how interesting.
That reminds of how I've seen people point out connections between other songs, like HAEWAFY and Priest of Nothing.
Although I never really understood why people make a big deal out of Priest of Nothing. I find it too rambling. But mostly I just really hate the instrumental track she's singing along to. It's kinda awful in my opinion and ruins the whole thing. I wonder if it's Mike Campbell? I refuse to believe it came from FM because I will never believe Lindsey would write something that ugly.

yes by her own admission she only knows a handful of chords so her songs are all essentially the same. Ken Caillat put it that "stevie only knows like 4 chords but she can write you 40 songs from them".

The track I thought was something of Joe Walsh's....
Old 11-25-2016, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yes by her own admission she only knows a handful of chords so her songs are all essentially the same. Ken Caillat put it that "stevie only knows like 4 chords but she can write you 40 songs from them".

The track I thought was something of Joe Walsh's....
I was talking about the imagery her lyrics give off, like some of her songs give really similar themes and things so I assume (and I guess other people assume as well) that the story is connected somehow.
But I know what you mean about the chords. There's a Lindsey quote I saw where he says something like what you mentioned: "What I like about her songwriting is her sense of rhythm. It’s superb. Obviously you have to like her lyrics and her voice, but she does a lot with a very little."

I didn't know it was Joe Walsh. How weird. But it makes sense. Ugly dude, ugly music.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 AM

From what I know Stevie has written Priest of Nothing, like the obviously linked Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You, for and about Joe Walsh and the first has been written to the instrumental of some song that appeared on Joe's first album but the music on her demo it's not necessarily Joe's.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was talking about the imagery her lyrics give off, like some of her songs give really similar themes and things so I assume (and I guess other people assume as well) that the story is connected somehow.
But I know what you mean about the chords. There's a Lindsey quote I saw where he says something like what you mentioned: "What I like about her songwriting is her sense of rhythm. It’s superb. Obviously you have to like her lyrics and her voice, but she does a lot with a very little."

I didn't know it was Joe Walsh. How weird. But it makes sense. Ugly dude, ugly music.
Yes... she does have her favorite recurring themes... the whole tragic, "we love each other but can't be together" theme; the "he loved her so much that he'd rather die than live without her" theme; the "i'm so lonely" theme; the "magical mythical kingdom" theme; the "I still miss you and can't get over you" theme.....
Old 11-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also connect How Still My Love lyrics with Edge of Seventeen, particularly the way she does it live.

Michele