Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM

Default Seattle show (Stevie Q&A)

Flower child Stevie Nicks will bring a bouquet of new songs to KeyArena
Rock ’n’ roll mystic Stevie Nicks never stops writing, which is one reason she’s had a strong solo career outside her work with Fleetwood Mac. Nicks appears Sunday, Dec. 11, at KeyArena with the Pretenders as special guests.

Stevie Nicks says that one of her favorite things to do is light a candle, sit at the desk in her Los Angeles home and write poetry.

Nicks, the rock ’n’ roll mystic who constitutes one-fifth of Fleetwood Mac’s classic lineup and wrote several of its most beloved hits (including “Dreams” and “Rhiannon”), is on a 28-city tour with the Pretenders as special guests. The show hits KeyArena Sunday (Dec. 11).

Nicks, 68, is so prolific that six years after joining Fleetwood Mac in 1975, she embarked on a solo career with “Bella Donna,” which featured the memorable centerpiece “Edge of Seventeen.”

Eight solo albums later, Nicks finds herself on the road in support of her most recent releases, “In Your Dreams,” from 2011, and the 2014 album “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” a collection of tracks written mainly between 1969 and 1987.

When reached by phone, she was struggling to whittle down her set list. Here are edited excerpts from the conversation.

Q: What’s the difference between touring behind your solo work and touring with Fleetwood Mac?

A: Fleetwood Mac is a team, and when you’re on a team everybody has the same vote — except in this particular team Lindsey (Buckingham) has a little bit of a stronger vote than anybody else. I love being part of a team. We argue all the time, but we always have. In my band, there is no arguing. I am the boss.

Q: The ’80s have once again become a point of fascination in television shows like “Stranger Things.” Are you ever nostalgic?

A: I wouldn’t want to ever go back there. Yes, it was a lot of fun between 1975 and 1990 — until it wasn’t. I walk onstage every night now and do a three-hour show with Fleetwood Mac, and I have a great time up there. I wish I had known that I actually had the energy to do this entire set totally sober and get just as excited. On one hand, that makes me feel great and on the other it makes me sad that I ever did my first line of coke.

Q: Your songs never lost the rawness associated with youthful emotion. Do you find that inspiration comes from your everyday life now, or is your imagination triggered by re-examining the past?

A: I would say both. Great stories inspire me. Some people have the ability to be extremely convincing, and other people can sing for 30 years and not convince you that they have lived a story. At 16 I could sing a love song well. My dad would go, “That’s a good song, honey.” And my mom would go, “That’s just beautiful, Stevie.” And they would be thinking, “We know for a fact that she’s only been on one date and she was back in two hours.”

Q: Are you a fan of Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga or any other major contemporary female artist?

A: I have so many favorites. I love Katy Perry. [And] I’m so happy for Adele right now. She’ll do what I did — she’ll figure out a way to stay in the business. The big difference between her and me is that she has a child, and that will change things for her, but I think Adele knows what she wants and I don’t think she’s in a hurry. And that’s great. If she needs to go away for three years, she doesn’t feel like somebody’s going to take her place. When you believe in yourself that much, you can take as long as you want.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...s-to-keyarena/

Am I wrong or this is just a cut and paste of old quotes?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Those are definitely all quotes from the past year or two that were grafted together.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i got all excited about this thinking it was new ...
and then i'm like hmmm ... it sounds like i've read this before.

either she reiterates word for word answers
OR ... it's a copy and paste job
Old 12-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

She loves to contradict herself all the time.
Sometimes she says she never regrets a thing... then sometimes she does
Sometimes she introduces her "boss" in her solo shows...then sometimes she is the boss
Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
She loves to contradict herself all the time.
Sometimes she says she never regrets a thing... then sometimes she does
Sometimes she introduces her "boss" in her solo shows...then sometimes she is the boss
Well, Stevie is a classic extrovert, very spontaneous and in the moment. So how she's feeling in that moment may be completely different from how she felt 10 minutes ago. Very different from say Lindsey, the classic introvert...very methodical, planned, and thought out. That's why they will always butt heads. Polar opposites, but still attract because they each offer something beneficial only the other has. And NO, I'm not talking about friends with benefits!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IDK what the quality of coke was back then but the "best" stuff out there now really wouldn't get me through a 3 hour gig... Speed is much stronger IMO without the mood swings and unpredictable effect.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
IDK what the quality of coke was back then but the "best" stuff out there now really wouldn't get me through a 3 hour gig... Speed is much stronger IMO without the mood swings and unpredictable effect.
It is reported that the band in their heydays used to hide doses of coke in beer caps so that they could get their re-fills during shows.
Also Stevie said she hid coke in her boots so she could always have a dose with her
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It is reported that the band in their heydays used to hide doses of coke in beer caps so that they could get their re-fills during shows.
Also Stevie said she hid coke in her boots so she could always have a dose with her
But coke makes me giddy and happy? Like I would not be able to pull off an angry or emotional performance on that stuff. Everyone I've seen try it also gets giddy and happy, or they get really fidgety and anxious. Like, I don't see how that stuff could fuel such a powerful performance of Landslide or Rhiannon or Sisters of the Moon. The effect might have been very different back then? Like how mephedrone is now very different from a few years ago.

Last edited by twinmatrix; 12-09-2016 at 07:27 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
But coke makes me giddy and happy? Like I would not be able to pull off an angry or emotional performance on that stuff. Everyone I've seen try it also gets giddy and happy, or they get really fidgety and anxious. Like, I don't see how that stuff could fuel such a powerful performance of Landslide or Rhiannon or Sisters of the Moon. The effect might have been very different back then? Like how mephedrone is now very different from a few years ago.
A cocktail of coke, booze and pot enabled them to perform with high emotions, however i could imagine if they indulged with too much of one or the other could of easily led to a disaster on stage.. Though i bet they all had their far share of not having the balance just right
Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
A cocktail of coke, booze and pot enabled them to perform with high emotions, however i could imagine if they indulged with too much of one or the other could of easily led to a disaster on stage.. Though i bet they all had their far share of not having the balance just right
Oooh right, okay, yeah, I'm sure they mixed all sorts of stuff together. xD
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Solid-gold singing from Stevie Nicks
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame musician Stevie Nicks sings to packed crowd at KeyArena. Check here later for a review of the concert.

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...-stevie-nicks/
Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Looked to be completely sold out or just about last night.

I was on the floor, and looking up, even the nosebleeds were packed.

This tour is definitely a triumph for Stevie!
Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Review: Solid-gold singing from Stevie Nicks in Seattle

Stevie Nicks was all about new music and old friendships at her KeyArena show on Sunday. The powerhouse openers were Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders.

Before heading back on the road with Fleetwood Mac next year, the 68-year-old singer is touring in support of her 2014 release, “24 Karat Gold,” and other lesser-known material from throughout her four decades in rock ‘n’ roll.

This is not the same Stevie Nicks show you’ve seen for 30 years,” Nicks said. “I pulled these songs out of my dark, magical trunk of mystery things.

Though sung with that same powerful rasp that fans love, each song came with a surprise.

“Stop Dragging My Heart Around,” was an audience-pleasing impromptu duet between Nicks and Hynde. “Belle Fleur” floated along on a pop-synth cloud, featuring the virtuosity of her keyboardist Daryl Smith. Nicks even wore the “original ‘Bella Donna’ cape” during her performance of some of the songs off her 1981 debut solo album.

Further surprises came in Nicks’ telling the rich history behind each song, and honoring her longtime musician friends who helped her get where she is today.

“Starshine” — a keyboard-driven, ABBA-esque number, as well as “Stop Dragging My Heart Around” — were co-written by Tom Petty. Nicks spoke of her deep songwriting bond with Petty, and her reverence for the Heartbreakers.

I’ve just always wanted to be one of The Heartbreakers,” she said.

The weightiest of her tributes was her emotional performance of, “Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream),” which she sang in tribute to her close friend, the late musician Prince. The energetic single “Stand Back” followed, inspired largely by the first time Nicks heard Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” as she was driving. Nicks teared up after both songs.

I’ve only sang ‘Moonlight’ to Prince one other night,” she said, “because when I do, it takes on a whole other meaning for me.

Though largely about new material, some classic golden hits made the “24 Karat Gold” set list, including the Rumours classic “Gold Dust Woman.” The night ended with two beloved Fleetwood Mac encores: “Rhiannon” and “Landslide.” These familiar diversions were a thank you to her fans for supporting her creative freedom and journey, now and always.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...-stevie-nicks/
Old 12-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Last night...

Such a good show last night. While not a fan of Moonlight, it was nice to see her put so much passion into a performance. I will always want Wild Heart and Bella Donna to be performed in their entirety, but hearing them even in part was fantastic. She is sounding phenomenal. When she mentioned wanting to get out and share new music it made me hopeful that she will end up on whatever album FM comes up with down the road. Stevie has some real fire going on and it'd be great to see that in a FM show as well.

Highlights for me were Gold and Braid, WH/BD, Stop Draggin', and a pretty wild Rhiannon considering how tame it can be with FM. Probably going to end up at a second leg show...
Old 12-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Looked to be completely sold out or just about last night.

I was on the floor, and looking up, even the nosebleeds were packed.

This tour is definitely a triumph for Stevie!
let's not forget though that it's a double bill... yes the Pretenders go on first but just like when Stevie toured with Rod Stewart, not everyone is there to see her. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she's doing well, but it's the PACKAGE of the two acts that's doing it, not just one or the other. She's toured solo in recent years and not sold nearly this amount of seats...why now? It's the combo.