The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually LOVED SYW. I remember being happy it had so many songs and loved all of them, except for "Come."
I remember the Today show performance and waking up early to record it on VHS and also the amazing tour.
I caught a show in 12th row at the Staples center.
And loved the entire Boston show on DVD.
I liked the change of it being a 4 piece band for a while, although glad Christine has returned.
It would be great to have one last album, but if not, SYW sits nicely in my FM collection, and I am really enjoying Stevie's solo output the past few years.
She filled the almost 18,000 set arena in Phoenix 2 nights ago, did only 3 FM songs and played mostly new songs and songs she hasn't done live before, or in a long time
Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really think that Tusk is the point at which the legacy issues kicks in.

Someone has said this before, but it's worth repeating: Rumours was the sound of the band exploding; Tusk was the image of the pieces falling back down to earth (there's a worthwhile parallel to be drawn with Sergeant Pepper and the White Album).

What's happened since 1979 has been on occasion enjoyable, intriguing, inventive and maddening, but unfortunately sporadically repetitive, self-affirming and even terrible, but the trajectory has somehow been lost (although there's still time brothers and sisters, there's still time..).

Five full studio albums and a few scraps here and there in 36 years does not really demonstrate a living, breathing developing musical entity.

But, If nothing else happens, I'm still okay with them- as a live act they sound far better than a bunch of circa 70-somethings ought to and casual fans have a great time at their gigs, however much obsessives like us may grumble.

In answer to another question posed in another thread, the best era of Fleetwood Mac? 1967-1979. Does that feel like too long a time? Not from the standpoint of the geological epoch since Say you Will.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 AM

It's so not fitting because it's not really a band album. As much as B/N was good in 1974. And believe me, I love that album. The 2003 B/N co-album was a miss. I think with some editing and maybe if they had written together in the studio it might have made a huge difference.

It does have some great moments. Illume has some great moments. and then there's Silver Girl which is so nasal and boring.

I think they should have ended the album with Say Goodbye and cut Goodbye Baby all together. Cut WTWCT (such a bomb to open an album)

Christine and Lindsey sound more like FMac to me than SYW.. but that remains to be seen for the new music.

Here's hoping.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will if the Mac ends it now .I'll call it a cliff hanger.I'll say Mirage and The Dance as a tie and SYW was their last commercial success with 4 of them.I do have a bad feeling if their upcoming album if it sees the day of light will not get much radio airplay with or with out Stevie like SYW did when it was released.I remember hearing SYW and Peacekeeper non stop from everywhere back then.Store PA systems,Internet radio,Doctor offices and of course the radio.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Agreed: "It's so not fitting because it's not really a band album. "

I loved SYW, but the above statement sums it up perfectly. They should have let Christine record. I think a song or two from her ITMT would have been good additions to the album.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Christine & ITMT

I have, several times over, edited SYW and added in some Christine songs from her last album. It makes me feel a little better. Plenty of filler from B/N on SYW. I could be ok with it being the last album if it were pared down...or the possibility of another album didn't exist somewhere in the universe. I will bide my time and wait for the eventual album (that still won't please everyone). I think they'll put a respectable studio effort together including Stevie to cap things off. Then when they swap one song out each in the set everyone can be happy...?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
Agreed: "It's so not fitting because it's not really a band album. "

I loved SYW, but the above statement sums it up perfectly. They should have let Christine record. I think a song or two from her ITMT would have been good additions to the album.
Friend, You Are, Sweet Revenge and Forgiveness would have been perfect additions to Say You Will.

This whole "you have to tour if you record" mentality is all wrong.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I am fond of the SYW album, but no it would not be a fitting end to their legacy. I think an album with Christine would be a fitting end to it.

Michele
These are my feelings exactly. I love SYW, but an album with the Rumours lineup is the fitting end.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A legendary band deserves a major send off. SYW is definitely not it.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Friend, You Are, Sweet Revenge and Forgiveness would have been perfect additions to Say You Will.

This whole "you have to tour if you record" mentality is all wrong.
I'll have to try this. In The Meantime does sound like Fleetwood Mac.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

I have loved Stevie's music since I was a kid, and in a lot of ways her songs with FM have been my favorite. And certainly her solo work has been my favorite of the bunch. But if she doesn't come back to the band for what is in all likelihood the last album they'll record, I will be severely disappointed in her.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:47 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's so not fitting because it's not really a band album. As much as B/N was good in 1974. And believe me, I love that album. The 2003 B/N co-album was a miss. I think with some editing and maybe if they had written together in the studio it might have made a huge difference.

It does have some great moments. Illume has some great moments. and then there's Silver Girl which is so nasal and boring.

I think they should have ended the album with Say Goodbye and cut Goodbye Baby all together. Cut WTWCT (such a bomb to open an album)

Christine and Lindsey sound more like FMac to me than SYW.. but that remains to be seen for the new music.

Here's hoping.
Interesting perspective. I've no problem with "What's The World Coming To" as an opener, and am curious as to which song of the remaining non-"Goodbye" songs you would choose. Having considered your post, I immediately thought that Illume or Thrown Down would've been pretty intriguing starts, and wonder if WTWCT always was the starter in their eyes. Christine's Friend would have been reminiscent of Tusk and Mirage's starts, though who knows if that song would've come about with her still in the band.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never got the criticism of What's The World Coming To.
I remember listening to Say You Will with bated breath wondering if the music was going to be a big let down. Half way through WTWCT I relaxed and thought 'this is okay, if the rest is like this -that'll do' (though its not the best album and there's plenty to criticise, I'm still satisfied with it and most certainly glad it was made).
As an opener I'd put it in the same mould as Monday Morning and Second Hand News.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I remember listening to Say You Will with bated breath wondering if the music was going to be a big let down. Half way through WTWCT I relaxed and thought 'this is okay, if the rest is like this -that'll do' (though its not the best album and there's plenty to criticise, I'm still satisfied with it and most certainly glad it was made).
As an opener I'd put it in the same mould as Monday Morning and Second Hand News.
i can't stand what's the world coming to. the music is horrible, singing is bad, and it's just a boring non-inventive song.

second hand news is one of the best pop songs ever put together, imo. pure sacrilege to even put those 2 in the same sentence!

that said, other than WTWCT i think SYW batch of songs are among some of LB's best. great great work from him.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-31-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
100 lashes for comparing this piece of trash to Second Hand News or Monday Morning. Yes, I still love you.. but, this hurts me more than you.