The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Do Fleetwood Mac need backing vocalists?

As mentioned in previous threads, I am more than impressed with the Mac version of "Thrown Down" but I am troubled by one aspect of it - the rather anonymous backing vocals courtesy of god knows who. Yes that's right, someone other than a member of the band!

This just doesn't make any sense to me - the Mac are renowned for their unique harmonies and not just the blend of Stevie, Lindsey and Christine, but also for their inventive approach to vocals whether it be all three vocalists; just Stevie and Lindsey or multi-tracking of a lone voice (cue Lindsey and most of his contributions to the Tusk album).

So why would they take the step of soliciting the services of outside backing vocalists? Well, of course, the obvious explanation would be to fill the supposed void of Christine but this just doesn't cut it for me. The supporting vocals featured on "Thrown Down" seem to be mimicking Christine but are a pale imitation of the real thing. The fact is that Christine has left the group and as Mick has mentioned in recent interviews, paved the way for a new incarnation of the band. So why would they want to replicate the previous incarnation, particularly if they are not capable of doing it themselves?

Mick has also spoken about the dynamic of this pared down version of the Mac harking back to the days of Buckingham Nicks and the fact that it presents an opportunity for Stevie and Lindsey to reassert themselves as a vocal duo. He has even trotted out the old "full circle" cliche as a catalyst for the sound and themes of the new album, yet the inclusion of hired vocalists would serve to contradict this statement.

It's one thing to rope in celebrity rock guests like Sheryl Crow (and whilst I don't consider this a wise move, she at least can boast an intimate and creative bond with Stevie) but to rely upon the input of insipid, generic sounding nobodies, well that just leaves me cold... and somewhat confused.

I guess none of this bodes well for the upcoming concerts which will undoubtedly feature backing vocalists just as the Tango In The Night and The Dance tours did. I was hoping with Christine gone that Stevie and Lindsey would rely solely upon themselves and strip things back on stage, but I will have to accept that this was wishful thinking. Once again, I'm sure the justification for these superfluous intruders would be that they are integral to recreating the sound of the records, but why is this deemed necessary?

The Mac catalogue has always taken on a new dimension in a live context and it is these raw reinterpretations that are generally cited by fans as the definitive versions of classics such as Rhiannon; Landslide; Go Your Own Way; Sara; Sisters Of The Moon; Gypsy and Big Love. The whole purpose of live performance is to redefine one's work and communicate it in an honest and truthful manner. Highly stylised odes to perfection are of no interest to me... but more importantly, are they to anyone else out there?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

pettiness sweet pettiness.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:33 AM

I think they do actually, brings a bit of depth to the songs
Old 01-07-2003, 09:36 AM

Phil, you've raised some interesting points. And I am sure most of us have thought about the concerns you express.

While I am not a fan of the "superfluous intruders," the fact is the if band wants to do harmonies the way it used to, the backup singers are necessary. Stevie cannot hit some of the notes necessary to pull off the harmonies, and Lindsey's use of the voice effects can only go so far before they sound too manufactured. So I'm torn on this one.

As for the live sound, I went to "Tango" and "Dance" shows and I was gratified that they had the backup singers, and in the case of "The Dance," the added musicians. I mean, look at some of the early video footage of the band performing "Go Your Own Way," for instance. Without the acoustic guitar rhythm the song sounds pretty plain. That acoustic riff is fundamental. By the same token, trying to recreate the harmonies of "Gypsy" or "Everywhere" would have been impossible without the backup singers.

If the live sound comes across as too antiseptic or pre-fabricated in the next tour, I will blame that on the thing that irritates me about Lindsey more than anything else--his insistence on approaching the shows as if they were a Broadway play, with even the commentary between songs rehearsed. That lack of spontaneity in concert is troubling. And it makes me think twice about seeing the band when they come to New York. Even though I love to see Lindsey wail on that guitar, I'm not sure it'll be worth it to sit way up in the nosebleeds through a prefab show. Besides, nothing will ever beat the experience of being close enough to touch him (which I didn't) at the Paradise in Boston during the Cradle tour.

I guess, ultimately, I can live with the backup singers. I wouldn't mind seeing Bekka back there harmonizing with Lindsey and Stevie. And by the way, don't be surprised if Sheryl Crow does make an appearance on the album. I would put money on that. And I could definitely see her filling in on keys in the live shows. We'll see.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like the idea of alot of back-up vocalists..but truth be told,the songs would sound pretty strange without them...songs can not be replicated onstage to sound exactly like they do on album without some adjustments.I really didn't mind the Dance line-up at all..I think the girls fit in just fine...but i think that with Christine gone it is going to be more of a challenge..if they plan on doing any songs that involved her at all...anyway...bottom line..I don't care if they take the Vienna Boys Choir with them...they are putting out an album,and touring with it...and i am pretty damn happy about that

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-07-2003, 12:51 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think FM need backing singers, because where they have more than 1 singer, they can just use them instead.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As we've discussed here before, Fleetwood Mac using additional musicians on their studio albums is not without precedent (Waddy Wachtel played rhythm guitar on "Sugar Daddy," for example), but this will be the first time they've used additional vocalists outside of the live environment.

I like the additional vocals on "Thrown Down"... they add a nice touch, and thankfully they're not obtrusive.
I'm not sure how I'll feel if every single track features additional vocalists though.
I guess it'll just depend on how they're used. If it's sparingly, and for the betterment of the songs (for example, they're not noticeable on the choruses of "Thrown Down"... they just provide some color), then I guess I won't have a problem with it.

Just so long as it's not done excessively.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-07-2003, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
but this will be the first time they've used additional vocalists outside of the live environment.
Johnny Stew
Correction: They were used in "Time."
Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the studio they don't need back up vocalists. On stage they probably do. For example, listen to Go Your Own Way from the Dance, then listen to another live version of it by the Mac in any of their previous tours. There is a major difference in the vocals. Some people like back ups some don't, I do. It's all just preference.

Matt
Old 01-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

omg!!!

ouch!! just fell out of my chair...Carne has dissed Lindsey!!!

personally, I enjoy concerts that have some showmanship in them, nothing is more boring then watching musicians just play songs exactly off the record. I loved the Cars back in the day but they were the most boring concert I'd ever seen...nobody moved an inch...they should have twirled...

as for backup singers on the album, I agree with Johnny Stew, ok as long as they are not intrusive...

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 01-07-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Figura
omg!!!

ouch!! just fell out of my chair...Carne has dissed Lindsey!!!

I won't sit here and be an apologist for the man. He has flaws. Now if only the Stevie fans would have the same attitude...
Old 01-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Correction: They were used in "Time."
Oops... I forgot about Lucy Fleetwood providing backing vocals on "These Strange Times." *blushes*

Well... unless you were referring to Dave, Bekka & Billy?!

Johnny Stew
Old 01-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I won't sit here and be an apologist for the man. He has flaws. Now if only the Stevie fans would have the same attitude...
I think Stevie's fans do have the same attitude... it's just that we don't hold anything against her, or vilify her for any mistakes she's made.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-07-2003, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Oops... I forgot about Lucy Fleetwood providing backing vocals on "These Strange Times." *blushes*

Well... unless you were referring to Dave, Bekka & Billy?!

Johnny Stew
Nah.... I caught you. Let me relish this.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I think Stevie's fans do have the same attitude... it's just that we don't hold anything against her, or vilify her for any mistakes she's made.

Johnny Stew
I certainly don't vilify the woman. I'm a fan. I simply am not a fan of all of her work. And I try to be lucid about the reality of the current state of the Mac.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 01-07-2003 at 04:56 PM..