Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Twisted, Thrown down, being a fan etc

Some words about Twisted. As I heard the song a couple of years ago I was quite amazed as it was the first sign of life from LB for a very long time. Somebody here mentioned, that he or she was surprised by his voice, which somehow had altered and got lower. I felt the same about it and must admit I was a little disappointed. Also I thought, that the two voices of SN and LB were struggling to fit together. On the Dance this was much better, so I don't know whether on the Dance there was more studio work to even this out or if Twisted just was an exception or maybe a song which itensifies a certain development of the voices.
Twisted as a song to me was pretty boring. It was great to see, that they still were alive but that was about it. I really hope that we don't have to expect songs like these on the upcoming CD.
I'm really a huge FM and especially LB fan but I also try to differentiate and not to "like" songs just because it is a FM thing. It would be interesting to hear other opinions and especially how other fans rate the new one- Thrown down. Do you like it, because it is FM and you are the fans, or do you like it, because you think it is really good? Not just O.K. but really good. Would you become a fan because of this new one?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Ledgie

My responses are in the thread I started "Thrown Down... not that great". I try to keep things into perspective, because I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking a song is great just because it's a FM song. It would be easy to do since it's been so long between studio albums. I honestly think there are people out there who would love "Thrown Down" even if it were only Stevie accompanied by a kazoo.

I know I may sound hyper-critical, but when I hear a great FM song of the new CD, I will be one of the first to applaud it and post my praises.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah Steve that`s an interesting thing, I`ll go back to your thread to read more about it. I remember back in 89 getting a Rolling stones fan. I knew a lot of their songs but things like "Satisfaction" just didn`t interest me any more. This and other ones were played million times on the radio and to me it was simply boring. Other songs were all right to me but I never bought a CD or went to concert. Then they released Steel wheels and I loved the album, and went to some of their shows. They were all in their beginning 50s but the material was fresh and the show great. So I liked them because of their current music and for the current album.
I started listening to FM during the TITN era, where I bought this one and listened to Rumours shortly after this. So I got a fan because of the current album also and then found out that I liked their earlier works also. It will be interesting to find out if the new CD will be able to fascinate new fans also. What therefore is also needed (besides a good CD of course) is that they perfom most of the fresh music on their live shows and not another one of this greatest hits attitude show. My fascination for the Stones declined as they started to perform 1-3 new songs on their shows and the rest was "satisfaction" and Greatest Hits medley boring stuff. Concerts are not a revival show but a combination of presenting and promoting the new stuff with giving the fans also some familiar older tunes. If the current music makes the fans impatient to listen to the classic tracks, then something is wrong and then it's just a 60`s or 70`s or whatever revival party.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well stefan, something I've come to realize is that while we ARE the hard core fans, most of the concert goers aren't necessarily so. In fact, I've stated many times that I questioned why someone would want to go to see a tour while not having bought the new album. Unfortunately, a lot of people do that. Since no one my age likes Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks enough to go to a concert, I had to go to the TISL show with my parents and older cousins. I of course was the only one who knew TISL inside and out, and so the new songs were great for me to hear. But, near the end of the set when there was one TISL song after another, I noticed especially my cousins who had not heard the TISL album AT ALL, were getting a little bored. And I also noticed that even people around me wanted some more familiar songs. As the hard core fans, we simply have to step aside and let the mass of just "fans" take over, as we are clearly outnumbered. That's why FM and Stevie try to only do 4 new songs per tour.

As for liking Thrown Down just because it is a Fleetwood Mac song, well, there are Fleetwood Mac songs that I openly admit to not liking, as well as Stevie songs that I admit I don't like. So no, I don't think I like Thrown Down just because it is a Fleetwood Mac song.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I for one LOVE Twisted...I love the demo on ENCHANTED..but even better i loved the soundtrack version...I personally love the way the vocals sounded together....I am definetely not being biased when I say, because I am honest about Mac songs....

I also like THROWN DOWN...I do not like all Fleetwood Mac songs...but I think THROWN DOWN is a great song. I love the way the voices sound together, and the background ladies vocals go exceptionally well with the song. When I first hear the new thrown down demo I THOUGHT OMG THIS IS GREAT...and I still do..I understand that the lyrics are not the BEST, but I love the song

Chris
Old 01-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Would I become a fan to the extent that I am now, just from this one song...??? haha...obviously not.

But if I had never heard of Fleetwood Mac before, I think I would like the song enough to become seriously interested in the band. However, to be absolutely honest, the thing that would spark my major interest would be the guitar sections of the track, rather than Stevie's vocals.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Chris...Twisted is an awesome song. (Love the demo and the duet.) Especially when you remember that she wrote it to go along with the movie, but it also parallels her and Lindsey's relationship. Several people were complaining that TD's lyrics are "simple"...it would be interesting to hear if those same people consider the lyrics from Twisted to be the same way.

I also happen to love Thrown Down. Maybe not as much as say...GDW, or Silver Springs, or heck--even Twisted. lol. But I still think it's a great song.

And btw...lol, I don't like *every* FM song, just because they're Fleetwood Mac. There are some songs that I have learned to appreciate over the years (some are even now my favorites), but then again...there are several that haven't ever grown on me the slightest bit.

~Angela~
Old 01-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, and lol....see the quote in my signature. I don't think Lindsey agrees with you about the blend of his and Stevie's voices on that song.

~Angela~