User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
This feels correct. Mirage it was near The Chain. can't remember just after or maybe after Dreams.
Yeah I think it was typically SYLM/Chain/Don’t Stop/Dreams/Oh Well/Rhiannon with Monday Morning replacing Say You Love Me for those late 1980 shows and Second Hand News during Mirage.

It’s become so “normal” to see Don’t Stop at the end of the night that it is weird to think of it being early on in the show (or not in the set at all!). It’d be like Go Your Own Way being the opener.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Yeah I think it was typically SYLM/Chain/Don’t Stop/Dreams/Oh Well/Rhiannon with Monday Morning replacing Say You Love Me for those late 1980 shows and Second Hand News during Mirage.

It’s become so “normal” to see Don’t Stop at the end of the night that it is weird to think of it being early on in the show (or not in the set at all!). It’d be like Go Your Own Way being the opener.
Isn't that weird???
Old 08-10-2023, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It’s so odd that Don’t Stop wasn’t on the set list. It’s got to be in the top 5 of MAC songs that are played in such heavy rotation even today.
Yes, I posted a thread about this many months ago. I was listening to Rumours shows and it was not there. However it was played a few times or at least one leg of the tour. I suspect since Dont Stop was the 4th single, it was not practiced or anticipated to be released when the tour started. Each singer performed their single and another song from Rumours. Chris picked Oh Daddy and YMLF.
It was not until Tusk that the song became a regular in the set. Looking back it is odd since Dont Stop is one of their biggest hits. But I think it also explains the unexpected success of the album. It seems they practiced and were prepared for 3 singles.
Almost similar is Everywhere. It was the 4th single from Tango. When the tour started Little Lies was climbing the charts. When I saw the tour it was not being performed. This is why I think on the Tango Concert video you see them performing it not in front of an audience. It looks like they are trying it out and including it on the video. If my memory is correct, I think at some point they may have added it to the show. However, the US leg of the tour ended in mid December 1987. Everywhere was released one month prior so I think the last weeks of the tour they may have played it.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Reviving this thread, as the record is out today.

It sounds great; for some reason, I've particularly been enjoying Blue Letter. And it made me chuckle when John says that the show was over because they hadn't been together very long and didn't know any more songs!
Old 09-08-2023, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Reviving this thread, as the record is out today.

It sounds great; for some reason, I've particularly been enjoying Blue Letter. And it made me chuckle when John says that the show was over because they hadn't been together very long and didn't know any more songs!
They’re discussing this release over at the Steve Hoffman music forum.

My set got delivered today, but I’m still at work.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2023, 03:59 AM

I'm in Vancouver, BC/Canada and listened to it on my AirPod Pros. I biked around Stanley Park with it blasting in my ears.
I'm impressed. And yes, Blue Letter is fantastic. Their virgin voices and harmonies are spot on. Other times, the intonation is all over the place.. but it's still better than what they do now with their 17 back up singers.

This show has (IMO) of the best vocals on a live Songbird I've ever experienced. I wish it was piano only so she would work a little harder and throw a solo in the bridge, but wow, it's very touching and she's truly connected to the lyrics.

Strangely, Dreams is also pretty damn good and didn't bore me.

ISA isn't fully developed yet (it's almost of the Tusk tour quality) still amazing however.

Christine's maracas on Oh Well are fabulous. She even throws in some B3 in the latter part of the song.

YMLF vocally her voice is so pure. She goes sharp vs. flat throughout the show.

Rhiannon is ok. I feel like Christine is trying to sing opera on the harmony and kind of kills that sensation they usually give me.

Stevie's Landslide is the best I've heard live. By Tusk, I can't stand this song because she doesn't breathe correctly and her phrasing kills the sentiment of the beautiful, sublime, gentle studio version.

NGBA!!! Regular speed!! And it has brushes and bass. vs. Tusk where he thinks he's clever and slows it down with that bellowing. (much like his ex on Tusk tour Landslide). It's ok to sing straight tone legato guys!!

The Chain is fantastic as is GYOW. I will say Mirage Forum versions of these songs are superior in intensity. But, not to say they don't nail it here 5 years earlier.

Blue Letter is wonderful. The three voices are a little more balanced than other live versions that I've heard.

Best SYLM that I've heard. Also Over My Head is wonderful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, David O, but we've heard this GDW before. And maybe we've heard the Oh Daddy too? They sound awfully familiar to my fuzzy brain. Anyway, such a treat to hear them raw and not quite full of themselves.
I would like a full concert of 1976, too! Official release, of course.

Interested to hear what you all think. I know Macfan will have a 10 page report.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-09-2023 at 10:10 AM..
Old 09-09-2023, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm in Vancouver, BC/Canada and listened to it on my AirPod Pros. I biked around Stanley Park with it blasting in my ears.
I'm impressed. And yes, Blue Letter is fantastic. Their virgin voices and harmonies are spot on. Other times, the intonation is all over the place.. but it's still better than what they do now with their 17 back up singers.

This show has (IMO) of the best vocals on a live Songbird I've ever experienced. I wish it was piano only so she would work a little harder and throw a solo in the bridge, but wow, it's very touching and she's truly connected to the lyrics.

Strangely, Dreams is also pretty damn good and didn't bore me.

ISA isn't fully developed yet (it's almost of the Tusk tour quality) still amazing however.

Christine's maracas on Oh Well are fabulous. She even throws in some B3 in the latter part of the song.

YMLF vocally her voice is so pure. She goes sharp vs. flat throughout the show.

Rhiannon is ok. I feel like Christine is trying to sing opera on the harmony and kind of kills that sensation they usually give me.

Stevie's Landslide is the best I've heard live. By Tusk I can't stand this song because she doesn't breathe correctly and her phrasing kills the sentiment of the beautiful, sublime, gentle studio version.

NGBA!!! Regular speed!! And it has brushes and bass. vs. Tusk where he thinks he's clever and slows it down with that bellowing. (much like his ex on Tusk tour Landslide). It's ok to sing straight tone legato guys!!

The Chain is fantastic as is GYOW. I will say Mirage Forum versions of these songs are superior in intensity. But, not to say they don't nail it here 5 years earlier.

Blue Letter is wonderful. The three voices are a little more balanced that other live versions that I've heard.

Best SYLM that I've heard. Also Over My Head is wonderful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, David O, but we've heard this GDW before. And maybe we've heard the Oh Daddy too? They sound awfully familiar to my fuzzy brain. Anyway, such a treat to hear them raw and not quite full of themselves.
I would like a full concert of 1976, too! Official release, of course.

Interested to hear what you all think. I know Macfan will have a 10 page report.
Great breakdown, but—

Those “opera” vocals on Rhiannon are Stevie, not Christine! Christine is singing her straightforward harmony part. Stevie is doing a coke-induced soprano tremolo.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t know why record companies insist on pulling crap like this in the era of google…in the album art they mention playing the forum to nearly 50K people. The forum holds about 18k for concerts LOL. The picture on the inside gatefold is definitely not the forum either if that’s what they were attempting to imply.

I wonder how much of the audience applause has been bolstered or supplemented with canned audience.

Edit: perhaps they meant 50k across three nights.

Last edited by BigAl84; 09-09-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-09-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Great breakdown, but—

Those “opera” vocals on Rhiannon are Stevie, not Christine! Christine is singing her straightforward harmony part. Stevie is doing a coke-induced soprano tremolo.
Thanks for the correction. I was too busy keeping my eyes on the road, (I guess). I'll have to go back and listen. You mean she couldn't get the melody notes correctly on her own song?

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-09-2023 at 10:12 AM..
Old 09-09-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I don’t know why record companies insist on pulling crap like this in the era of google…in the album art they mention playing the forum to nearly 50K people. The forum holds about 18k for concerts LOL. The picture on the inside gatefold is definitely not the forum either if that’s what they were attempting to imply.

I wonder how much of the audience applause has been bolstered or supplemented with canned audience.

Edit: perhaps they meant 50k across three nights.
I live in Los Angeles and if they stuff 50K in the Forum, I don't want to be in there.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I was too busy keeping my eyes on the road, (I guess). I'll have to go back and listen. You mean she couldn't get the melody notes correctly on her own song?
Gurrrl, that is exactly what I mean. lol

Meanwhile, Christine is characteristically staying on task.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Chris is the English woman who plays keyboards. Stevie is the lead singer with the cow bell.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Chris is the English woman who plays keyboards. Stevie is the lead singer with the cow bell.
You have no idea how many stuff animals that live in my house, thank you!
Old 09-09-2023, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You have no idea how many stuff animals that live in my house, thank you!
Mine is filled with live unicorns. Touché!
Old 09-10-2023, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m currently listening to this set on headphones and it’s amazing. The harmonies are as tight as they ever were live. Christine doesn’t go flat and Stevie is in control of her vocals. Amazing! I wish Stevie was singing with Christine on Oh Daddy and with Lindsey on I’m So Afraid. (Or if that is her it was turned up a bit, but I think it’s Chris)