The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default World In Harmony - two different versions from 2/70 Boston Tea Party shows

I'd noticed this some time ago but forgotten until recently......the live recording of "World In Harmony" on the remastered 2/70 Tea Party recordings (from Volume 2) is not the same as the one that appeared on the original vinyl LP of Tea Party recordings that appeared in the mid-'80s and which subsequently appeared on numerous CD compilations of those recordings.

I've included the front and back of one of those CDs for reference (plus the front of the remastered disc). The version of "World In Harmony" on the earlier release is similar to the one on Volume 2 of the remastered discs from Snapper, but it is distinctly different, especially Peter Green's playing on the bridge. Not sure why the different version was chosen for the remastered CDs - I like the other one a lot!

Another difference between the originally-released music and the remastered 3-volume Snapper release: several minutes of "The Green Manalishi" have been edited on the Snapper release of the Tea Party sets - the full version can still be found on several of those earlier releases.

Are there other changes that anyone has noticed between those earlier releases from the Tea Party shows and the remastered Snapper releases?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting sharksfan! I hadn't noticed this, but I also enjoy the old version (better!).
It's a real shame they edited "Green Manalishi"! Unforgivable! I remember they had a reason, but I can't remember what... probably due to lack of space/time... It may have resulted in a 4th disc (so what??)

And aren't "Jumping At Shadows" and "Black Magic Woman" from the Showbiz Blues 2CD from the Boston Tea Party 3 nights? I wonder why those weren't on the Snapper Box set A little fooling around on JAS, but still great.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
And aren't "Jumping At Shadows" and "Black Magic Woman" from the Showbiz Blues 2CD from the Boston Tea Party 3 nights? I wonder why those weren't on the Snapper Box set A little fooling around on JAS, but still great.
Yes, that's right. And they're both great versions. In particular, I think that version of "Black Magic Woman" is much better than the one on Volume 1 of the Snapper set.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default edited for time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Yes, that's right. And they're both great versions. In particular, I think that version of "Black Magic Woman" is much better than the one on Volume 1 of the Snapper set.
I too would love if anyone had unedited versions of these boston tea party releases. I would digitize them myself if i had the vinyl. I think the the "one two, I love you" version of Black magic woman was great and better than the one on the snapper release. If I were to venture a guess, I would think that this was the soundcheck version. something that peter was known to do. It is really a shame that they cut part out of the green manalishi. But I must add that that cd was completely full and disk one was a great show as it is by itself
Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
"[...]...aren't "Jumping At Shadows" and "Black Magic Woman" from the Showbiz Blues 2CD from the Boston Tea Party 3 nights?"

My guess is that they were played the first night in Boston. PG mentions something like - "This one is called Black magic woman. This is the first time we've performed this number really. We did it about twice when we/I first recorded it. But, I don't now why we stooped doing it, but we've got it together again. So here it is..."

/Zoork
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
My guess is that they were played the first night in Boston. PG mentions something like - "This one is called Black magic woman. This is the first time we've performed this number really. We did it about twice when we/I first recorded it. But, I don't now why we stooped doing it, but we've got it together again. So here it is..."

/Zoork
Yes true, I checked the cover of the Showbiz Blues 2CD and it says "Unissued version - 1st night Boston Concerts".
Daniel
Old 03-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default February 5/6/7, 1970 Live recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Are there other changes that anyone has noticed between those earlier releases from the Tea Party shows and the remastered Snapper releases?
Yes: "Talk to me baby (a.k.a. I can't hold out)"; the LP version is slightly longer (about 20 seconds); a very small part of Jeremy's first solo has been edited out.
It is the same performance, I'm sure!

GJK
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Yes: "Talk to me baby (a.k.a. I can't hold out)"; the LP version is slightly longer (about 20 seconds); a very small part of Jeremy's first solo has been edited out.

GJK
Thanks, GJK! I'll have to check that out. How strange that they would edit out just a few seconds. It's frustrating enough that they faded out some tracks before they ended ("Rattlesnake Shake" on Volume 1, "Coming Your Way" and "Tutti Frutti" on Volume 3), but to edit 20 seconds from a song like that is really odd. I've listened to the originally-released version of that song many times and I don't recall anything that would have needed to be edited out.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post

GJK
You're right, GJK - it does sound like the same performance (or if it's not the same, it's almost identical). The original LP and early CD versions of the song have three 12-bar segments in Jeremy's first solo while there are only two 12-bar segments on the Snapper disc.

What's really puzzling is that Volume 1 of the Snapper set is less than 70 minutes - why would they have edited this song as well as "The Green Manalishi"? There would have been plenty of room on the disc for the full versions of both songs.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Ledgie

Does anybody happen to have any of those shows in a bootleg format? It would be interesting to hear the entire show from any of those nights....

Hey sharksfan2000 you just beat my Wild 3-0. We should have had a music trade on the outcome like last season..... You would be listening to some new music...AGAIN.

-Al