The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't Stop is my least favourite. Can't think of why I would listen to. Plus the vocals are so compressed.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Count another vote for Don't Stop. I really just don't like it at all. From a live perspective it gets livened up and I enjoy it, but on the album, it's blah.

I've long felt IDWTK was the better choice for the album over Silver Springs. It just fits in much better and I can't believe they never did it live. And The Dance Silver Springs is far superior. It IS a great old song, and after 20 years, they absolutely perfected it on that stage.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Count another vote for Don't Stop. I really just don't like it at all. From a live perspective it gets livened up and I enjoy it, but on the album, it's blah.

I've long felt IDWTK was the better choice for the album over Silver Springs. It just fits in much better and I can't believe they never did it live. And The Dance Silver Springs is far superior. It IS a great old song, and after 20 years, they absolutely perfected it on that stage.
Especially after Chris left, IDWTK would've been a perfect live duet for Lindsey and Stevie.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To me, everything fits on the album, even if a particular song is kind of a throw-away. But Songbird doesn’t fit the way that it should have. If I could back to 1976 and give Fleetwood Mac one piece of advice, I’d tell them to put that Zellerbach Auditorium take of Songbird on a B-side or an album of outtakes, and instead record the song in the studio. The auralness—the field—of it is all wrong and really sort of ugly, with all that empty-concert-hall reverb and seiching, not to mention one of the worst examples of mic’d piano I’ve ever heard on a pop album by a band with millions to spend. (Really, the piano sounds like an RMI Electra Piano or a cheap Italian knockoff that’s been sitting in someone’s moldy, cluttered basement.) But you take that song into the studio and record it and mic it properly (like The Way I Feel) with a compressed, close vocal when the singer’s throat wasn’t so tight, and you get a real watermelon tourmaline of a song.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-13-2020, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But the band didn’t have millions to spend at that point. Not yet.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But the band didn’t have millions to spend at that point. Not yet.
Didn't they spend 400K on Rumours? Which was a fortune back then. Da Google says that 400K then is 1.8M now.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

They were all millionaires in 1976. Their album was #1 and they had 3 hit singles and a year of solid touring. Being a millionaire in 1976 was a HUGE deal. Today that would be like being worth around 5 million?
The band seldom talks about how much money they make. But I remember an interview with Stevie that said when 1976 came along all their hard work of promoting the album before it came out and then touring afterwards all made them millionaires. 2 years prior she was waiting tables and cleaning so it was a rags to riches story. Warner Brothers was thrilled and of course it made sense to spend time and money on the follow up.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don’t Stop
Old 06-14-2020, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They were all millionaires in 1976.
They were, but they were so busy with the band that none of them really got what that was, yet. I always think of this time as something like “Life’s Been Good” (I have a mansion/forget the price/Ain’t ever been there/they tell me it’s nice).

As for all the “Don’t Stop” hate, I always thought it was the ‘70s “Hey Jude.” It’s easily the most Beatle-esq original Fleetwood Mac song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-14-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They were, but they were so busy with the band that none of them really got what that was, yet. I always think of this time as something like “Life’s Been Good” (I have a mansion/forget the price/Ain’t ever been there/they tell me it’s nice).

As for all the “Don’t Stop” hate, I always thought it was the ‘70s “Hey Jude.” It’s easily the most Beatle-esq original Fleetwood Mac song.
Great analogy. You know what brought my love back to Don't Stop? I have felt in the past that it was so boring and over played.

When Christine came back, I could hear her style in the piano and the vocal harmony was back. vs. the SYW and later live versions. She makes it better better better better!!!! nah, nah nah .. nah nah nah.. Hey Jude...
Old 06-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Great analogy. You know what brought my love back to Don't Stop? I have felt in the past that it was so boring and over played.

When Christine came back, I could hear her style in the piano and the vocal harmony was back. vs. the SYW and later live versions. She makes it better better better better!!!! nah, nah nah .. nah nah nah.. Hey Jude...
Not sure how much she was playing though. On With The Show they did a close up on the monitor of her playing parts of it. As the years went on, not sure she played that much. It was sad when she could not play songbird anymore.

I have always liked Don't Stop. It just gels so well together. Lindsey and Christine's voice merge together so well its hard to tell they take different parts. The shuffle is so catchy and its such an uplifting song. I guess I am in the minority because this song and Go Your Own Way and You Make Loving Fun are probably the only songs I listen to on the radio when they come on these days.
Its been an anthem for me all of my life so I will never turn my back on the song like you traitors
The Mac used to play it early in the set. Once Lindsey left is when it became a closer and sing along anthem which I have no problem with.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IKXhOTpd1Ws

Sounded okay in 2017

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-14-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Not sure how much she was playing though. On With The Show they did a close up on the monitor of her playing parts of it. As the years went on, not sure she played that much. It was sad when she could not play songbird anymore.

I have always liked Don't Stop. It just gels so well together. Lindsey and Christine's voice merge together so well its hard to tell they take different parts. The shuffle is so catchy and its such an uplifting song. I guess I am in the minority because this song and Go Your Own Way and You Make Loving Fun are probably the only songs I listen to on the radio when they come on these days.
Its been an anthem for me all of my life so I will never turn my back on the song like you traitors
The Mac used to play it early in the set. Once Lindsey left is when it became a closer and sing along anthem which I have no problem with.
I was standing right behind her side of stage and watched her play it in 2014. If she was faking it, she did a damn good job. Especially, the solo.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I was standing right behind her side of stage and watched her play it in 2014. If she was faking it, she did a damn good job. Especially, the solo.
Yes I believe she definitely played in 2014. Once songbird disappeared, her playing is not as obvious as it used to be. For Buck/Vie I would not be surprised if her keyboards were even plugged in.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes I believe she definitely played in 2014. Once songbird disappeared, her playing is not as obvious as it used to be. For Buck/Vie I would not be surprised if her keyboards were even plugged in.
She was playing some. In Nashville, they started the wrong song or something, and her keyboard had the wrong sound. She apparently didn't know how to change it, because her tech had to come out and push the buttons, then they restarted the song.

That said, I do believe that she was mostly just holding chords, most of the night. Not sure if it's her fingers or her brain that won't allow her to really play now, or a combination of both.