User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpossibleHoney View Post

I do love the rest of the record and its probably FM at it's most pop minded and low key. Cant wait for the inevitable rerelease. Hopefully we will get a good rendition of "At The Fair".

Was 'At The Fair' really ever on the Fleetwood Mac radar?
Old 05-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Good to hear so much love for Welcome to the Room...Sara. It has always stood out to me as a proper rock song on a largely pop record. I went through a phase when it was my favourite on the album.

I've always been facinated by how much better TITN went down in the UK that the US. It hit #1 on three seperate occasions and was the year-end 5th highest seller in 87 in the UK and the year-end 7th highest seller in 88. It is the 7th highest seller of the 1980's in the UK and is still something like the 50th highest selling record of all time.
Behind the Mask debuted at #1 in the UK and went platinum there. Behind the Mask barely made it to #18 in the USA. Its so strange as Mick Fleetwood would say, the more successful in the USA the less successful in the UK and vice versa.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-29-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 05-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Behind the Mask debuted at #1 in the UK and went platinum there. Behind the Mask barely made it to #18 in the USA. Its so strange as Mick Fleetwood would say, the more successful in the USA the less successful in the UK and vice versa.
BTM was still able to ride the long coattails of Tango rather than getting there on it's own steam..it had no UK hits .Tango had 3 top tens there Stevis's TOSOTM also benefited as it hit number 3 UK by far her best showing there and Rooms on Fire was a top 20 hit.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
No, I think the love TITN gets is quite necessary.
And I agree with that.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tango is the only Fleetwood Mac album on my 'desert isle' list. I can do without all the others, but Tango In The Night and Stevie's Rock A Little would be the two albums from this crew that I couldn't do without.

It is said you never really stop loving your first love, and Tango was my first Fleetwood Mac album. I was 14 years old. I've probably listened to it front to back over a thousand times; maybe more than three thousand times. Those first years, 87-91, I played Tango nearly daily. Some days, I listened to it five or six times. I wore that cassette out! I know every note and syllable and inflection. It never gets old, and I never, ever tire of those songs. If I had any talent for music, I could play all of these songs from my mind alone. In the past week alone, I've had it on the iPod upstairs, or spun the vinyl downstairs...where the big old house is mine.

One of the biggest critiques I see and hear of the album in this thread is that it sounds like the 80s. Well, most of what came out in the 80s sounds like the 80s - how else would a pop album from 1987 sound?

Of the b-sides, Lindsey's are best - You and I Part 1, Down Endless Street - these are great songs. I'd love to hear a version of Book of Miracles with vocals - I'm sure one exists. Ricky is not a favorite, but I still play it frequently enough to have it memorized.

Digging into the outtakes, I *love* the early version of You And I Part 2 commonly called "Eyes Wide Shut" with Christine singing alone. I do wonder what else might be siting in those Warner vaults...

I do wish Stevie had been in a better place for this album. I cannot place blame on anyone but her (it's common with chiffonheads to assume some conspiracy against her on the part of Lindsey). We know things were tense between her and Lindsey, and I'm sure it was hard, and - obviously - things had reached a boiling point as evidenced by him leaving after the album was finished. She couldn't commit to this record - and notice I said couldn't - not wouldn't - because drug addicts aren't themselves, and while I'm sure in *her* mind at the time she felt she was doing what she needed to do, it's woefully evident that she was half-assing her contributions. I'm not talking about her writing, but moreso about her overall presence and work ethic.

Regarding her songs, I adore When I See You Again - it's very touching song, and quite apropos for the moment and the circumstances that came afterwards. Welcome to the Room...Sara is, on the other hand, a big mess that perfectly represents everything that is wrong with Stevie's output from 87-93. It's a rambling rant with obscure lyrics that just isn't relatable unless you know the story. Frontline baby. Whatever. I'm shocked the rest of the band agreed to put it on the album, but maybe there simply was nothing better to choose from. Maybe that Book of Miracles with vocals was just not done right, or maybe Stevie held it back herself, because, you know, it "didn't sound like her demo".

The best part of Tango for me is Seven Wonders. Who cares who wrote it? Who cares what the lyrics are? I don't - what I care about is that it's one of the best vocal performances of Stevie's entire career. She really felt those lyrics, even if she didn't write them herself, and she sang them like she meant them. It is an anthem for me, the one song of her entire catalog I'd pick to be my song, to tell my story. When the deluxe Tango box comes out I very much hope that the Fresno show is cherry picked for some live performances, because that performance of Seven Wonders is my favorite, aside from the LP version, and I'd love to hear it cleaned up and free of the fuzzy sounds that always plague bootlegs from the cassette era.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Tango is the only Fleetwood Mac album on my 'desert isle' list. I can do without all the others, but Tango In The Night and Stevie's Rock A Little would be the two albums from this crew that I couldn't do without.

It is said you never really stop loving your first love, and Tango was my first Fleetwood Mac album. I was 14 years old. I've probably listened to it front to back over a thousand times; maybe more than three thousand times. Those first years, 87-91, I played Tango nearly daily. Some days, I listened to it five or six times. I wore that cassette out! I know every note and syllable and inflection. It never gets old, and I never, ever tire of those songs. If I had any talent for music, I could play all of these songs from my mind alone. In the past week alone, I've had it on the iPod upstairs, or spun the vinyl downstairs...where the big old house is mine.
I love your passion for this album. I have that too. I froth at the mouth at the possibility of the deluxe edition.
Thanks for all your thoughts, I really appreciated reading your post.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

Yep. Same age and exactly the same story.

Also, somebody else said it's the worst album cover. I analysed that cover for hour after hour after hour...love it.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

Also, somebody else said it's the worst album cover. I analysed that cover for hour after hour after hour...love it.
Love the cover too!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am the one that posted I did not care for the cover
Its the only cover (I believe) that was not created for the Mac. The Mac had zero influence on the cover and it does not represent anything for the band. At least Behind the Mask was a cover that the band asked the artist to create based on the band's chemistry. The Tango cover is just a painting that was hanging in Lindsey's home. That has no creativity whatsoever. The painting itself is not bad. I don't like it because it has nothing to do with the band unlike the other covers. I suppose you could say the cover represents the album perfectly because the album was a Lindsey solo album. Its appropriate that the cover come from Lindsey's favorite painting and have nothing to do with the band
Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

While I like the cover a lot, I do agree, it could've been better. I feel they should have used a picture of the band on the cover, like this one:

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highwayman View Post
While I like the cover a lot, I do agree, it could've been better. I feel they should have used a picture of the band on the cover, like this one:

Well maybe not that particular one.. lol
Old 06-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Tango story is much the same - 15 years old, utterly captivated by the whole thing, played it endlessly and managed to find meanings in all the songs that related directly to my life - even Welcome To The Room, Sara, somehow! I had it in every format and I even got the songbook, just to try and absorb as much of its atmosphere as I could.

I love the cover - I think it has a romance and a mystery that fits the mood of the music, particularly songs like Mystified, You & I part 1 and the title track. It also lent itself brilliantly to this lovely UK commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUDimvPYSYA

Anyway, I love it and am hoping for a bells-and-whistles reissue next year...
Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After Big Love, the albums stops for me in terms of high quality. The rest is boring or mwa, okay, for me.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
After Big Love, the albums stops for me in terms of high quality. The rest is boring or mwa, okay, for me.
At least you like one song and didn't trash the album.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My Tango story...

I was so ready for this release after a long 5 year wait.My wife was in the hospital for an early arrival of my twin daughters and I would drive to the hospital listening to the Big Love cassette single ( with You and I pt 1 on the flip side)over and over. When the album was finally released I was very pleased. The only issue I had was the lack of "Stevie" which at this point it was what I expected. I still love all the tracks on this album some better than others but a great collection from 1987.