Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FEMA's turning down help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Why aren't all 50 states coming together to send airplanes, buses, food, water (most important, IMO), clothing, medicine, etc? There are 50 got dang states and they all have bus lines, airlines, etc...there should be planes going in and out of NO and MS 24/7 right now. There should be people filling sand bags or making cement holders to help close those levees, there should be companies who pump water out helping, they could drop water from giant crates from airplanes or helicopters if they are afraid of getting shot. There are also countless countries on our side who have pledged to help "in any way we can." SEND WATER, FOOD, MEDS, MONEY, AIRPLANES, ETC!!!!!

I just do not understand this at all.

My mom alerted me to this... a big story in Chicago. What the hell is wrong with these people?! Take the g*dd*mned help!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Daley 'shocked' at federal snub of offers to help

Tribune staff reports
Published September 2, 2005, 2:44 PM CDT

Frustration about the federal response to Hurricane Katrina has reached Chicago City Hall, as Mayor Richard Daley today noted a tepid response by federal officials to the city's offers of disaster aid.

The city is willing to send hundreds of personnel, including firefighters and police, and dozens of vehicles to assist on the storm-battered Gulf Coast, but so far the Federal Emergency Management Agency has requested only a single tank truck, Daley said.

"I was shocked," he said.

"We are ready to provide considerably more help than they have requested," the mayor said, barely able to contain his anger during a City Hall news conference. "We are just waiting for the call."

The mayor's remarks came at the announcement of a city-sponsored "Chicago Helps Fund," which will accept donations from citizens for the hurricane relief effort.

"The people we see suffering on television are our brothers and sisters," Daley said. "It's incumbent on all of us, as American citizens and fellow human beings, to do our part to help them through this terrible tragedy."

Donations to the Chicago Helps Fund can be made by cash or check at any J.P. Morgan Bank One branch or by sending a check to Chicago Helps, 38891 Eagle Way, Chicago IL 60678-1338. A toll-free telephone number will be announced later for those wishing to donate by credit card.

Additionally, this weekend, Chicago firefighters will "pass the boot" at major intersections, and donations will be requested during the Chicago Jazz Festival in Grant Park, Daley said.

Also, the Chicago Football Classic on Saturday will donate a portion of its proceeds to the relief effort. And the Department on Aging is sending a "Meals on Wheels" truck to the Gulf Coast region with food, blankets and other necessities for seniors.

But the city is prepared to do far more, Daley said.

Even before the storm hit the Gulf Coast on Monday, he said, the city's Office of Emergency Management and Communications had contacted emergency response agencies in Illinois and Washington.

In the event of a disaster, the city offered to send 44 Chicago Fire Department rescue and medical personnel and their gear, more than 100 Chicago police officers, 140 Streets and Sanitation, 146 Public Health and 8 Human Services workers, and a fleet of vehicles including 29 trucks, two boats and a mobile clinic.

"So far FEMA has requested only one piece of equipment {ndash} a tank truck to support the Illinois Emergency Response Team, which is already down there," Daley said. "The tank truck is on its way. We are awaiting further instructions from FEMA."

{lt}I{gt}Tribune staff reporter Gary Washburn contributed to this story.{lt}/I{gt}
Old 09-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

?????
WTF!!!

okay, my political guy and I were having a convo today - he said, although he doesn't think Bush et al were in the planning of 911, that they let it happen on purpose. He also said he believes there was a similar agenda for Katrina - which is bearing out - the lack of response and the lack of preventative actions point in that direction...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 09-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
he said, although he doesn't think Bush et al were in the planning of 911, that they let it happen on purpose.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Holy Crap!!

Tim McGraw is singing PETRA!!!!! Never thought I'd see a day when a country singer would be on TV singing a Petra song.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He also said he believes there was a similar agenda for Katrina - which is bearing out - the lack of response and the lack of preventative actions point in that direction...
To deflect attention from Iraq? Or something worse?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Rice, Bush, and Shrub are already making plenty of cash from this, don't you worry. They're making millions.
I do not see how. Cheney may via Halliburton, but Rice and W have no interest in that company So, if you know something, spill it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
?????
WTF!!!

okay, my political guy and I were having a convo today - he said, although he doesn't think Bush et al were in the planning of 911, that they let it happen on purpose.

Yeah, that theory is out there... in the late '90s, the Neocons knew they would need a "Pearl Harbor" to justify an invasion of Iraq. Whether they knew about 9/11 or not, I don't know. That theory is a little too "out there" for me... I tend to think the Bushies were just incompetent.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I do not see how. Cheney may via Halliburton, but Rice and W have no interest in that company So, if you know something, spill it.
I wasn't referring to just Halliburton.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gingrich Suggests Giuliani To Head Relief Efforts

POSTED: 3:33 pm CDT September 2, 2005
UPDATED: 3:55 pm CDT September 2, 2005

WASHINGTON -- At least one prominent Republican is critical of President George W. Bush and his administration for their response to the ravages of Hurricane Katrina.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich urged Bush to appoint Rudolph Giuliani to head relief efforts. Gingrich told The Associated Press that no one is better prepared for the job than Giuliani, who was mayor of New York on Sept. 11, 2001.

Gingrich said the pace of the federal disaster response puts into question Homeland Security and Northern Command planning over the last four years. He rhetorically asked why the government believes it's prepared for a nuclear or biological attack when it can't respond to an event that was predicted days in advance.

Black members of Congress also expressed anger Friday at what they said was a slow federal response to Hurricane Katrina.

U.S. Rep. Diane Watson, of California, and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus, along with members of the Black Leadership Forum, National Urban League and the NAACP, held a news conference and charged that the response was slow because those most affected are poor.

Many also are black, but the lawmakers held off on charging racism.

Bush, who visited storm-damaged areas Friday, acknowledged that the initial federal response was unacceptable and pledged to do more.

U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., said too much focus has been placed on the looting, taking away from what should be the priority: getting food, water and stability to the tens of thousands of displaced victims.

His father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said racism is partly to blame for the deadly aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Jackson called Bush's response to the disaster "incompetent."

Jackson questioned why Bush has not named blacks to top positions in the federal response to the disaster, particularly when the majority of victims remaining stranded in New Orleans are black.

U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Russell Honore, head of the military task force overseeing operations in the three states, is black. His task force is providing search and rescue, giving medical help and sending supplies to the three states in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Jackson was in Baton Rouge Friday to take part in a local project using a caravan of buses to pick up people stranded in New Orleans and transport them out.

The civil rights leader said the flooding that caused thousands to be trapped inside the city was caused by a lack of federal funding for its levee system and hurricane planning. Jackson said the resulting tragedy has largely hit New Orleans' black residents because they were too poor to evacuate before the storm hit.

www.wdsu.com

Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You must referring to their Exxon/Shell/BP/Mobile etc. etc. money.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No shiitte So, if you know something let's hear it - you asserted Rice, Cheney and W will make millions - how, outside of one of them (Cheney) via Halliburton?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
Don't forget Chevron, love.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken

They may lose billions in this Their plants and platforms are or were shut down and many are damaged. I get that they have billions to lose though. But, how is that putting millions directly in the pockets of Rice, Cheney, and W as Diss. asserted?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
They may lose billions in this Their plants and platforms are or were shut down and many are damaged. I get that they have billions to lose though. But, how is that putting millions directly in the pockets of Rice, Cheney, and W as Diss. asserted?

Oh, boo hoo... somebody, somewhere is making money when gas is $5 a gallon, and it's not the independent gas station owner. It's the executives, shareholders, etc. Everyone in the Bush administration has connections to oil... Rice had a f*cking oil tanker named after her!! Their connections to oil have not only led us into a disaster in Iraq but have dominated just about every aspect of our foreign and domestic policy for the last four years! It's absolutely disgusting!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

is this hurricane relief show live? kayne west just said "george bush dont like black people" something like that and they had to cut him off.