User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

##double post##

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-26-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Journey would be the perfect opener for Fleetwood Mac. Both are touring without new music and have reduced themselves to mass marketing tours. The fact that each band has replacements makes it even better. A good mix? Of course not. But its about asses in the seats.
I watched an excellent quality Journey concert from a few months ago on YouTube. I was very impressed. They did a full show and you forget how many hits Journey has. They just crank them all out.
I would say the Stevie Nicks/Rod Stewart tour was probably the worst mix ever. For the first time in her solo career, Stevie was reduced to an opening act.
Oh btw, you can bet your life Stand Back will be back in the setlist in addition to another Stevie/Tom solo song.

I can see it now, Stevie and Finn can join Journey on Stage for the encore "Don't stop believing" streetlight people ooooh ahhhh
Now instead of 30% of the arena heading to the refreshment stand and bathroom during a vintage Mac song without Stevie, it will be about 40%
Maybe they can get Richard Marx to open for both bands?
OR
Do Don't Stop and Don't Stop Believing as a medley together

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-26-2018 at 07:13 AM..
Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Journey would be the perfect mix opener for Fleetwood Mac. Both are touring without new music and have reduced themselves to mass marketing tours. The fact that each band has replacements makes it even better. A good mix? Of course not. But its about asses in the seats.
I watched an excellent quality Journey concert from a few months ago on YouTube. I was very impressed. They did a full show and you forget how many hits Journey has. They just crank them all out.
I would say the Stevie Nicks/Rod Stewart tour was probably the worst mix ever. For the first time in her solo career, Stevie was reduced to an opening act.
Oh btw, you can bet your life Stand Back will be back in the setlist in addition to another Stevie/Tom solo song.

I can see it now, Stevie and Finn can join Journey on Stage for the encore "Don't stop believing" streetlight people ooooh ahhhh
Now instead of 30% of the arena heading to the refreshment stand and bathroom during a vintage Mac song without Stevie, it will be about 40%

For almost 2 decades Fleetwood Mac were actually a pretty cool (even quite edgy at times) band. The current Journey are not cool. Fleetwood Mac would be confirmed as returning to sad old-timer status. It would be really disappointing.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
For almost 2 decades Fleetwood Mac were actually a pretty cool (even quite edgy at times) band. The current Journey are not cool. Fleetwood Mac would be confirmed as returning to sad old-timer status. It would be really disappointing.
I was never a big Journey fan but I think they were cooler than Fleetwood Mac ever was. In my Jr High or High School, Journey was an accepted T shirt not really so for Fleetwood Mac. Its the same exact Journey except the lead singer is different but he sounds almost exactly like Steve Perry so it sounds pretty good.
Stevie and Stevie's drama with Lindsey killed whatever creativity the Mac had. I think privately the rest of the band would like to go out touring to promote the first 5 member album since Mirage. Instead we are getting Tom Petty's Crowded House with Stand Back and Journey.

So, I would have to politely disagree. Journey is a much cooler band than Fleetwood Mac.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The Tuscaloosa county fair where fair goers will be yelling out "Where's Lindsey"!!
If I were forced to go I'd have to let that be known
in one way or another. And the one we blame would
hear a steady chorus of boos during the night.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Thumbs down

If this is true, it's really sad. And it tells me tickets aren't selling at the prices they want to cover their big payoff.

Way to go $tevie. Enjoy your 24Karen Gold.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I was never a big Journey fan but I think they were cooler than Fleetwood Mac ever was. In my Jr High or High School, Journey was an accepted T shirt not really so for Fleetwood Mac. Its the same exact Journey except the lead singer is different but he sounds almost exactly like Steve Perry so it sounds pretty good.
Stevie and Stevie's drama with Lindsey killed whatever creativity the Mac had. I think privately the rest of the band would like to go out touring to promote the first 5 member album since Mirage. Instead we are getting Tom Petty's Crowded House with Stand Back and Journey.

So, I would have to politely disagree. Journey is a much cooler band than Fleetwood Mac.
I like Journey and they were surely a good and successful band but I don't think they've ever been considered actually "cool", for starter they made one of the most embarassing videos of the 80s:

Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I like Journey and they were surely a good and successful band but I don't think they've ever been considered actually "cool", for starter they made one of the most embarassing videos of the 80s:

I'd have to concur. It might be an American thing. In the UK Fleetwood Mac have been one of the hottest bands whenever they've toured since Say You Will. They have a really young demographic interested in them especially during the past 2 tours.
I appreciate Journey had a resurgence a while back through Glee and Rock of Ages but their popularity among young people has been nowhere near that of Fleetwood Mac. Among younger people here Journey would be considered seriously naff whereas the Mac really are very cool.
Not sure that will last through the next tour.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I keep hearing that state fairs are next on the list.
One way ticket to palookaville...
Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It sounds weird because I am not a Journey fan and never bought any of their music.
Lets define cool. I was a teen in the 80s and not the 70s. Fleetwood Mac was definitely not cool anytime during the 80s and the Mac lost most of their rock chops and rock credibility after Rumours. Tusk and Sara were not played on rock stations and neither was Mirage. Journey was on the front page of almost every Hit Parade magazine during the 1980s. For those of you across the pond, that was the #1 teen rock magazine. Journey is a rock band with your typical cheezy 80s ballads thrown in. My sister had the Frontiers album and it rocked pretty good. I don't think Separate Ways is cheezier than any other music video of the 1980s. IMHO Lindsey's GO INSANE video is probably one of the worst 80s videos with his high hair, his coat cape, and his laser beams coming from his eyes and fingertips. Talk about cheeze!
Fleetwood Mac after Rumours is almost considered an adult contemporary music group by many people. In my teen era there was never any coolness to the band and was something you almost had to hide. Journey had rock chops and packed arenas throughout the entire 80s decade in the states and were main plays on rock stations across the USA. I don't think you could ever compare the bands. Journey never used drum machines or cheezy synth pop stunts like the Mac did for Tango.
I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 80s when Journey was huge and had coolness. Today Journey is a typical touring act without the deep fan base the Mac has today. My definition of coolness is only my era in the 80s.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It sounds weird because I am not a Journey fan and never bought any of their music.
Lets define cool. I was a teen in the 80s and not the 70s. Fleetwood Mac was definitely not cool anytime during the 80s and the Mac lost most of their rock chops and rock credibility after Rumours. Tusk and Sara were not played on rock stations and neither was Mirage. Journey was on the front page of almost every Hit Parade magazine during the 1980s. For those of you across the pond, that was the #1 teen rock magazine. Journey is a rock band with your typical cheezy 80s ballads thrown in. My sister had the Frontiers album and it rocked pretty good. I don't think Separate Ways is cheezier than any other music video of the 1980s. IMHO Lindsey's GO INSANE video is probably one of the worst 80s videos with his high hair, his coat cape, and his laser beams coming from his eyes and fingertips. Talk about cheeze!
Fleetwood Mac after Rumours is almost considered an adult contemporary music group by many people. In my teen era there was never any coolness to the band and was something you almost had to hide. Journey had rock chops and packed arenas throughout the entire 80s decade in the states and were main plays on rock stations across the USA. I don't think you could ever compare the bands. Journey never used drum machines or cheezy synth pop stunts like the Mac did for Tango.
I am not talking about today, I am talking about the 80s when Journey was huge and had coolness. Today Journey is a typical touring act without the deep fan base the Mac has today. My definition of coolness is only my era in the 80s.
I was a teen in the 80's, too. And I began college, in an "Audio Technology" program. The first time I mentioned FM, I QUICKLY learned how UNHIP they were, as I was catching some ribbing for even mentioning them. I did actually stray away from them for 2-3 years, because everyone wants to be cool, right? But I was still a fan enough to buy BTM and Time!

Journey is like a piece of cake. There's not much there but tasty calories. Not much substance, but fun rocking songs, nonetheless. You can't take them too seriously, but I don't think it was ever meant to be. That said, I've seen them twice with Arnel, and he does a great job, and the crowd LOVES him. He's really the ultimate Cinderella story, in how they found him.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Trust me... my teen years were as sad as they could be trying to convince people of the merits of Fleetwood Mac in the late 80's. I was a real d!ck for trying. I have no concept of what Journey were like in the UK at that time.

Seriously though, for the past 10-15 years Fleetwood Mac have been a genuinely cool band to like. I mean... proper hip. For On With the Show I had loads of trendy celebrities sat in front of me.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know about back then but Journey doesn't have the greatest rep in recent years. If you think people crack jokes about The Eagles (partially thanks to Lebowski), you should see what they have to say about Journey. I know most people generally regard them as the people that made (or forced upon the world, depending on who you ask) Don't Stop Believin.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Trust me... my teen years were as sad as they could be trying to convince people of the merits of Fleetwood Mac in the late 80's. I was a real d!ck for trying. I have no concept of what Journey were like in the UK at that time.

Seriously though, for the past 10-15 years Fleetwood Mac have been a genuinely cool band to like. I mean... proper hip. For On With the Show I had loads of trendy celebrities sat in front of me.
No doubt. The Mac and especially Stevie have very very loyal fans. A very much more devoted following than Journey for sure. I was speaking coolness only during my era. Journey was constantly criticized by music reviewers as corporate rock. But reviewers usually get everything wrong.
Let me be clear. I don't really think Journey was or is a cool band. I am saying they were cooler than the Mac during the 80s when I was growing up. But that was not hard to do LOL