Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedKiwi View Post
I LOVE BON IVER AND VAMPIRE WEEKEND

Besides that I agree with you too (argh, kanye west )
well i think that Vampire Weekend's cover of "Everywhere" is what turned me from them haha
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While Say You Will is good, it's not that good.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
well i think that Vampire Weekend's cover of "Everywhere" is what turned me from them haha
(Ahh, so that's the band responsible for the "Everywhere" cover... I think I'll stay with Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" as the most passable Mac cover [and a fantastic one at that]... although the Dixie Chicks deserve a pass for their "Landslide". )
Well, you know that any lists Rolling Stone produce about music are pretty suspect when they don't have FM in the top 100 bands.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...he_first_fifty
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/cov.../the_immortals
Simply shameful! Especially when Nirvana makes it at 27!
So, obviously, I'm not the least bit surprised that no FM or related solo albums made it. And I couldn't care in the slightest. Rolling Stone aren't worth listening to at all.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm surprise MGMT are that high up. They're okay but I didn't find it lighting up my world. I actually find that (inexplicably intentional) distortion really off-putting.

I wouldn't have put Figure 8 in as the only Elliott Smith album either. I think From a Basement On the Hill is much better but it's nice to see him represented in some way.

It's a crime that Bon Iver is so low on that list! I just could listen to that album on an endless repeat and never get tired of anything on it.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
Its just different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post

It's a crime that Bon Iver is so low on that list! I just could listen to that album on an endless repeat and never get tired of anything on it.
Amen!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
And Coldplay and U2! I think they've pretty much included all their releases of the past decade on there.
Which is 1) completely ridiculous, I agree, and 2) a sign that even Rolling Stone concedes that Bruce Springsteen's "Working On a Dream" is the turd sandwich wrapped in cellophane that it is. Springsteen is a perennial favorite of theirs ( even though I love "Magic", they rate it a bit highly here) but WOAD can't even crack the Top 100. So, kudos to RS on that point.

The lack of a Neko Case album seems like an honest oversight more than anything else (at least that's what I'm telling myself)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO, not that it matters, but Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was the album of the decade.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

What does it say about me that I have never heard even one of these albums all the way through?!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I can't say I disagree with Rolling Stone for not including the Mac/solo albums... and that's rare. Fleetwood Mac, nor it's solo members really made any landmark albums this decade. Nobody did anything ground breaking, nobody reinvented themselves. Nobody had a breakout success. None of the albums changed the music biz. None of the albums had a lasting impact on the artists catalogue of materials. None of the albums had an impact on the genre, or influenced fellow artists. I could continue... but y'all get the point.

That's not to detract anything from the band and it's solo member's albums. I think In The Meantime, Gift Of Screws, and Trouble In Shangri La all rank among the best solo albums of Christine's, Lindsey's, and Stevie's solo careers. But that doesn't make them any more substantive in the presence of the sum of ALL albums recorded this decade. For better, worse, or indifference artists like Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, and others came on the scene in this decade, and forever changed popular music, and left an indelible mark on the entire recording scene. You just can't say that for any of the Fleetwood Mac/solo ventures.

Granted, I think some albums are definitely left off this list (Taylor Swift has single handedly reinvented Country and Pop music in my eyes)... and some albums desperately need to be taken off (do we really need multiple Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Radiohead, and Dylan albums listed??). And I definitely will agree that scanning this list it's very typical Rolling Stone: elitist, pompous, out of touch, and purposefully inflammatory. But I still don't think the Mac/Solo ventures belong on the list necessarily either.
In what way did they forever change music? The impact was that large? What they did had already been done, only we called it Madonna, Ozzy, and Tracey Chapman.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
In what way did they forever change music? The impact was that large? What they did had already been done, only we called it Madonna, Ozzy, and Tracey Chapman.
In my opinion, artists like Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, etc brought back around the era of the singer-songwriter again. There was so much pop fluff BS going on in the late '90s early/ '00s... think of Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, etc were the popular acts during that time. Artists like Amy, Alicia, Coldplay, and others made singer-songwriter music popular again... and seemed to incite (or at least be a part of) a trend back towards real MUSIC. Amy single handedly made Soul music cool again, and accessible to an entirely new audience. Alicia did the same with her jazzy sound. I'm not saying these are necessarily the best or even my favorite artists of the the decade... but their impact is undeniable. Amy's popularity opened the door for other acts like Adele, Duffy, etc. Whether or not you like any of the people I've listed, I'd take ANY of them any day over Britney freaking Spears .

I do have to agree that this decade has brought about no new Madonnas, Kurt Cobains, Pink Floyds, or anything truly groundbreaking. But the second half of this decade has had a decidedly welcome shift back towards artists who write their own songs, play their own instruments, and who aren't just studio creations. The Indie scene seems to be exploding... and once underground bands are going mainstream (who could have seen a weird little band like Owl City getting so much mainstream airplay? ). There's just a lot of good stuff brewing right now... a lot of potential. Yes, there are still Adam Lamberts, Lady Gagas, and crap like that... but there always has been, and always will be. Just look back at '77 for instance... the biggest singles of that year were by Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Billy Joel, Carly Simon... and... Debbie Boone .
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my opinion, artists like Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, etc brought back around the era of the singer-songwriter again. There was so much pop fluff BS going on in the late '90s early/ '00s... think of Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, etc were the popular acts during that time. Artists like Amy, Alicia, Coldplay, and others made singer-songwriter music popular again... and seemed to incite (or at least be a part of) a trend back towards real MUSIC. Amy single handedly made Soul music cool again, and accessible to an entirely new audience. Alicia did the same with her jazzy sound. I'm not saying these are necessarily the best or even my favorite artists of the the decade... but their impact is undeniable. Amy's popularity opened the door for other acts like Adele, Duffy, etc. Whether or not you like any of the people I've listed, I'd take ANY of them any day over Britney freaking Spears .

I do have to agree that this decade has brought about no new Madonnas, Kurt Cobains, Pink Floyds, or anything truly groundbreaking. But the second half of this decade has had a decidedly welcome shift back towards artists who write their own songs, play their own instruments, and who aren't just studio creations. The Indie scene seems to be exploding... and once underground bands are going mainstream (who could have seen a weird little band like Owl City getting so much mainstream airplay? ). There's just a lot of good stuff brewing right now... a lot of potential. Yes, there are still Adam Lamberts, Lady Gagas, and crap like that... but there always has been, and always will be. Just look back at '77 for instance... the biggest singles of that year were by Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Billy Joel, Carly Simon... and... Debbie Boone .
Great points. Thanks for explaining. I get ya now!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my top 25 of the decade. SYW is number 8! It's also my best American album of the decade.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/johnde...s_of_the_2000s

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Which is 1) completely ridiculous, I agree, and 2) a sign that even Rolling Stone concedes that Bruce Springsteen's "Working On a Dream" is the turd sandwich wrapped in cellophane that it is. Springsteen is a perennial favorite of theirs ( even though I love "Magic", they rate it a bit highly here) but WOAD can't even crack the Top 100. So, kudos to RS on that point.

The lack of a Neko Case album seems like an honest oversight more than anything else (at least that's what I'm telling myself)
Magic is fun but the only one that deserves to be on that list is The Rising. And I completely agree about Neko Case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
What does it say about me that I have never heard even one of these albums all the way through?!
Probably that you need to listen to more music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
IMO, not that it matters, but Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was the album of the decade.
I would agree with that!

Last edited by trackaghost; 12-18-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He's got the popularity that The Postal Service should have had half a decade ago if we'd had today's musical climate. He sounds so like them that it isn't even funny. I actually laughed out loud when I first heard 'Fireflies' because it is such a carbon copy. I do find it pretty catchy though and I'll have to give more of their songs a listen.

I do agree about your point that Indie seems to be coming through to something more mainstream. Or maybe it's that the mainstream is becoming more Indie?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Here's my top 25 of the decade. SYW is number 8! It's also my best American album of the decade.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/johnde...s_of_the_2000s
nice list! Morrissey may indeed deserve number 1, You Are The Quarry is an amazing album