User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking No Questions Asked and other under-appreciated gems

I thought I'd bring this song up for discussion because it's almost never mentioned. This really is one of my very favorite little Fleetwood Mac songs. I know at first glance it might seem like another piece of '80s pop fluff, but I think it's so much better than that. I suppose technically it should be in the Post Rumours section, but it is on a Greatest Hits album containing solely Rumours era material.

I can't pinpoint exactly why I love this song so much. I guess a big part of it is my appreciation for the lyrics. It's about the ups and downs of relationships, something certainly we can all relate with. Maybe that's why I like "Not Make Believe" so much too... they both chronicle wrestling the positives and negatives of relationships, and why we stay in them. I just love how both of these little songs are about not necessarily happy material, but are eternally optimistic. I even like the bubbly, effervescent production of "No Questions Asked." I think Billy and Rick's harmonies are just beautiful.

I got Greatest Hits from my favorite Aunt in 1994, and I probably associate this song with her, and a simpler time. I really love "As Long As You Follow" from Greatest Hits too... another forgotten, underrated little gem. It's also another full circle relationship song... I guess there's no hidden irony as to why both of these songs were included on Greatest Hits, given the events of the prior year. The production style on both of these songs might be a bit heavy handed and polished, but they still remain beautiful little songs. Seems there was a lot of missed potential with the Rick-Billy-Stevie-Christine-Mick-John lineup. Anyone else share my love for these songs?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know what makes NQA (IMHO)...the guitar hook (bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum...I'd post a clip but I don't have the mp3 on my computer).

I agree with you about Not Make Believe. I feel like NMB is kind of like The Chain, but from an older, wiser perspective. I wish it had made it to the original SYW instead of being just a bonus track on the limited edition.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post

I agree with you about Not Make Believe. I feel like NMB is kind of like The Chain, but from an older, wiser perspective. I wish it had made it to the original SYW instead of being just a bonus track on the limited edition.
OMG - it just hit me. Replace Silver Girl with NMB! PerfecT!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
OMG - it just hit me. Replace Silver Girl with NMB! PerfecT!!!
I couldn't part with it!

Why does everyone hate Silver Girl? I guess it could have been the bonus track though.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You know what makes NQA (IMHO)...the guitar hook (bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum...I'd post a clip but I don't have the mp3 on my computer).
You're right... that little riff is great, and I love it! There's nothing else like it.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love love love LOVE "No Questions Asked" and "Paper Doll" - those 2 seem to go very unappreciated.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love these two little songs as well.

Unfortunately I think a large part of my love for NQA came from a misheard lyric:

Well it's hard to be civil, and it's real hard to be nice
But you can get my love every time

I honestly thought that was brilliant. It seemed to me like a joyful recognition that, sure, our relationship isn't going to be harmonious but that doesn't mean there isn't love. I can't say how disappointed I was when I realised that wasn't it at all. But anyway, we're left with the fact that I was wrong, and yet I still love the song. I think it is, as you said, its sense of eternal optimism. That, and it's just so damn catchy.

I think there's a similar optimism in As Long As You Follow too. I can't quite put my finger on what it is specifically, but it feels uplifting to me, in a soothing kind of way. To be perfectly honest, when I listen to it, I feel this sense of calmness and contentedness wash over me, no matter where I am or how my day has been. And I don't even think that necessarily comes from the lyrics, but the song as a whole just seems to work for me.

And that intro? Perfect.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am a total sucker for "As Long as You Follow"- perhaps Christine's finest accomplishment. Much like "Songbird," this is vulnerable Christine giving you a big, warm bearhug. But too bad about the suck-ass production! The mind can only dream up what Lindsey could have done with this song.

From the demo I heard, it's amazing what they were able to do with "No Questions Asked" since it didn't seem like much of a contender in its raw form. Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like "No Questions Asked." As Louie said, it's something most can relate to. I especially like how she begins with "Night after night...no questions asked" then goes to "I need you now, no questions asked."

I don't care so much for "Not Make Believe." I cannot stand the lines: "It hurts my self esteem, it hurts my everything. I am reeling, oooh it hurts my feelings!" Then she tosses in the cliche, "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Yuck.

I like "As Long as Your Follow." Pretty little tune.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
I think there's a similar optimism in As Long As You Follow too. I can't quite put my finger on what it is specifically, but it feels uplifting to me, in a soothing kind of way. To be perfectly honest, when I listen to it, I feel this sense of calmness and contentedness wash over me, no matter where I am or how my day has been. And I don't even think that necessarily comes from the lyrics, but the song as a whole just seems to work for me.
Agreed, it just makes you feel good. I disagree HejiraNYC, about the production "sucking," but I think it brings up a valid point. After Lindsey left, they lost a big part of their "Fleetwood Mac Sound". The BTM era stuff I think sounds really good...but it's not Fleetwood Mac like Rumours or Tusk or even Tango In The Night are Fleetwood Mac. But still, nice sounding songs. I've recently developed a great appreciation for Save Me...and I KNOW comment like that belongs in "Post-Rumours," but since we're talking about it...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
I love these two little songs as well.

Unfortunately I think a large part of my love for NQA came from a misheard lyric:
Ha! I also have a misheard lyric in NQA.

I always sang along with:

"Well it's hard to be civil
and it's real hard to be blind
but you did it my love
everytime..."
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Ha! I also have a misheard lyric in NQA.

I always sang along with:

"Well it's hard to be civil
and it's real hard to be blind
but you did it my love
everytime..."
I used to sing

"when I see him
I feel him
there's an intenseness
In his arms
In his eyes"

Opps.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
I used to sing

"when I see him
I feel him
there's an intenseness
In his arms
In his eyes"

Opps.
Um...that's what I thought the lyric WAS...until now. What is it actually?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I couldn't part with it!

Why does everyone hate Silver Girl? I guess it could have been the bonus track though.
I don't hate Silver Girl at all. I think it's lovely. I am haunted by that line: "...if she lets you, see her soul..."

I just meant, for me, that that three-song Stevie break in the middle of the album portrays the arc of her experience: break up with Lindsey (SAY), dealing with heartache with drugs (RTTG), mature awareness and insight (SG). What you wrote about NMB as a kinda update of The Chain made me realize that it would fit into that trio of songs in place of Silver Girl, which fine though it is, kinda turns that trio of songs into a drag, while Not Make Believe would re-energize the listener for the final lap of that album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

(a bit too extreme a digression. i deleted this, but we should start underappreciated gems in other threads!)

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 11-11-2009 at 10:35 AM..