User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Yes, his fan base isn't as big, but without him they would not be getting the stellar reviews they've been getting. And as a Lindsey fan, on some levels I do wish he had a bigger solo fan base. But on the other hand, I can go to many intimate shows and see him solo without breaking the bank and always get a spectacular performance and excellent seats. I don't have to shell out $$$ and see the same tired performance she's been giving for years.
Sentiments like this seem to pop up periodically, which is puzzling to me. If you're not a Stevie fan, fine, but in 2011 she put out her most criticallly lauded album ever and in the two years that followed, her solo shows routinely included 6 of that album's tracks, with 3 others performed live at one time or another. Her performances weren't tired, and she didn't come across as a nostalgia act.

Last edited by MikeInNV; 04-29-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Sentiments like this seem to pop up periodically, which is puzzling to me. If you're not a Stevie fan, fine, but in 2011 she put out her most criticallly lauded album ever, and in the two years that followed her solo shows routinely included 6 of that album's tracks, with 3 others performed live at one time or another. Her performances weren't tired, and she didn't come across as a nostalgia act.
she released a f***ing masterpiece--and her best setlist ever.

if only she'd bring some of that verve to the mac. could u imagine this ep with at least one song worthy of Ghosts Are Gone!? (which, yes, might be her second greatest solo song EVER.)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sister's of the Moon
Complete song. It's jumbled in sound but what a fantastic performance!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL, this is an amusing thread. As a long-time FM fan, I see some things don't change. What has changed is the band's quality. I am sorry to say that even Lindsey's new stuff is rather dull, judging from the EP. Stevie has been phoning it in for three decades, so now she doesn't even pick up the phone anymore.

Both of these reviewers seem to hit some hard truths: One says Stevie is croaky and Lindsey steals the show. No surprise there. The other says the set list is rusty and uninspired. Again, no surprise.

What cracks me up is that people still take sides between Lindsey and Stevie, and a lot of the same old arguments come up. Both sides make good points. But the reality is neither Lindsey nor Stevie are stellar right now. Sure, Lindsey rips it up on stage, and Stevie still has a lot of the old witchy charm. But the band is stale, end of story.

On and by the way, I'll agree with the first reviewer about Lindsey's One Man Show. I didn't go to any shows, but what I heard and saw on YouTube struck me as way off. Lindsey missed the target by a wide mile on that one. What he should have done was leave the backing vocals, cheesy backing tracks and about two thirds of his guitars behind. Then take a guitar and stand -- or sit! -- in front of the mic and do quiet, introspective versions of old songs and play some new stuff.

But even Lindsey admittedly is flawed. SWS was tremendous, but the EP is lackluster, and the OMS was just him doing by himself what four guys generally have done. (Who cares? I've seen solo performers with a looper put on more interesting performances.)

As for IYD, yes, it was a good album. Better than anything Stevie has done since The Wild Heart, in my view. But the reason it got such a positive response was because most of everything else in between has been crap. So in comparison, good seems great. IYD isn't great, but it's damn good.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I didn't go to any shows, but what I heard and saw on YouTube struck me as way off.
I think that pretty much says it all.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL, this is an amusing thread. As a long-time FM fan, I see some things don't change. What has changed is the band's quality. I am sorry to say that even Lindsey's new stuff is rather dull, judging from the EP. Stevie has been phoning it in for three decades, so now she doesn't even pick up the phone anymore.

Both of these reviewers seem to hit some hard truths: One says Stevie is croaky and Lindsey steals the show. No surprise there. The other says the set list is rusty and uninspired. Again, no surprise.

What cracks me up is that people still take sides between Lindsey and Stevie, and a lot of the same old arguments come up. Both sides make good points. But the reality is neither Lindsey nor Stevie are stellar right now. Sure, Lindsey rips it up on stage, and Stevie still has a lot of the old witchy charm. But the band is stale, end of story.

On and by the way, I'll agree with the first reviewer about Lindsey's One Man Show. I didn't go to any shows, but what I heard and saw on YouTube struck me as way off. Lindsey missed the target by a wide mile on that one. What he should have done was leave the backing vocals, cheesy backing tracks and about two thirds of his guitars behind. Then take a guitar and stand -- or sit! -- in front of the mic and do quiet, introspective versions of old songs and play some new stuff.

But even Lindsey admittedly is flawed. SWS was tremendous, but the EP is lackluster, and the OMS was just him doing by himself what four guys generally have done. (Who cares? I've seen solo performers with a looper put on more interesting performances.)

As for IYD, yes, it was a good album. Better than anything Stevie has done since The Wild Heart, in my view. But the reason it got such a positive response was because most of everything else in between has been crap. So in comparison, good seems great. IYD isn't great, but it's damn good.
I wouldn't go by the youtube videos for OMS. I really do think it's so much better in person. I loved it. The backing tracks were only on 4 songs and I actually liked them a lot on two (Come and ISA), and didn't even notice them on one of the songs (Stephanie). If you had gone to the show and didn't like it, fine. But unless you've experienced it in person, I don't know how you can really draw a conclusion on what the shows were like. I love the intimate atmosphere and really grew to appreciate many of those songs in a way I never had before.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wouldn't go by the youtube videos for OMS. I really do think it's so much better in person. I loved it. The backing tracks were only on 4 songs and I actually liked them a lot on two (Come and ISA), and didn't even notice them on one of the songs (Stephanie). If you had gone to the show and didn't like it, fine. But unless you've experienced it in person, I don't know how you can really draw a conclusion on what the shows were like. I love the intimate atmosphere and really grew to appreciate many of those songs in a way I never had before.
I can't argue against the experience of being at the show, nor would I want to. I'm sure if I had gone to a show, I would have had fun.

However, I was careful to say what I know of the show is from the recordings and the YouTube postings, and what I saw there did not move me. I would have loved a completely different approach. And I bet I would be saying the same thing, had I gone to a show. It's possible to enjoy the performance when you're at the venue and then not like the recording or video of it. Happens all the time. And what I saw and heard on recordings gave me the sense that Lindsey has no confidence in himself as a solo performer. Leave the effects and the tricks at home, and just play, man! That is all I am saying.

If you loved the show, that's great. I'm glad you did.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't argue against the experience of being at the show, nor would I want to. I'm sure if I had gone to a show, I would have had fun.

However, I was careful to say what I know of the show is from the recordings and the YouTube postings, and what I saw there did not move me. I would have loved a completely different approach. And I bet I would be saying the same thing, had I gone to a show. It's possible to enjoy the performance when you're at the venue and then not like the recording or video of it. Happens all the time. And what I saw and heard on recordings gave me the sense that Lindsey has no confidence in himself as a solo performer. Leave the effects and the tricks at home, and just play, man! That is all I am saying.

If you loved the show, that's great. I'm glad you did.
I didn't get that impression at all. I think OMS actually gave him a lot of confidence. He put a lot of emotion into those songs and I think that was hard for him but helped him grow.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We differ here. I think OMS was awesome. I really think it's wrong to use prerecorded vocals in fullband liveenironment, like they do now. The open and transparant use of backingtracks on a few songs in OMS was not my choice, but no problem at all; it did not mask anything.

The production of IYD was as aweful as these tracks. Only Without You stands out as the most harsh and dreadful recording ever. Metallic paint without an underground.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Yes! Wish I could like this post! YouTube makes everything look dull and bad quality and not great sound most of the time... It's rare that it's good
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
The production of IYD was as aweful as these tracks. Only Without You stands out as the most harsh and dreadful recording ever. Metallic paint without an underground.
IYD doesn't bother me that much, except in some places where it sounds like Dave and Stevie are stuck in the 80s. The same can be said of Lindsey, though. Listen to Sad Angel.

Honestly, I just don't get these people anymore. Lindsey should have take a cue from the guy who produced the This Is 40 tracks and used it as a guidepost for future recordings. Instead, it's back to the over-produced studio trickery that's gotten kind of old, in my view.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On and by the way, I'll agree with the first reviewer about Lindsey's One Man Show. I didn't go to any shows, but what I heard and saw on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
exactly! how can one complain about sound and production details and than judge something by youtube videos?? either you do or you don't...

Quote:
I wouldn't go by the youtube videos for OMS. I really do think it's so much better in person. I loved it. The backing tracks were only on 4 songs and I actually liked them a lot on two (Come and ISA), and didn't even notice them on one of the songs (Stephanie). If you had gone to the show and didn't like it, fine.
and this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
We differ here. I think OMS was awesome. I really think it's wrong to use prerecorded vocals in fullband liveenironment, like they do now. The open and transparant use of backingtracks on a few songs in OMS was not my choice, but no problem at all; it did not mask anything.
and this! like you, Rockaway, shackin'up had similar complaints about OMS (and LB did not have OMS show nowhere near the place where he lives so he can form an informed opinion). but unlike you, he actually listened to the OMS itunes release and changed his mind.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
exactly! how can one complain about sound and production details and than judge something by youtube videos?? either you do or you don't...
Wow, I don't think what I wrote was so hard to understand, especially after I went back and explained it. Let me give it another shot: It may have sounded fantastic live to those who attended the show. It's possible the acoustics in the venues were tremendous and the sound was stellar. But, sorry, the sound on the digital release was crappy. It was thin and synthetic. To my ears, it's very unappealing.

Sounds like you liked it. That's great.

Quote:
and this! like you, Rockaway, shackin'up had similar complaints about OMS (and LB did not have OMS show nowhere near the place where he lives so he can form an informed opinion). but unlike you, he actually listened to the OMS itunes release and changed his mind.
Uh, so he has an "informed opinion" if he decides in the end that it's good, even though he didn't go to the shows? But if you don't go to the shows, but listen to the recording and decide it's crap, it's not an informed opinion. Is that what you are saying?

Tell me, do you see a problem with that reasoning? Or does it seem perfectly logical to you?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On and by the way, I'll agree with the first reviewer about Lindsey's One Man Show. I didn't go to any shows, but what I heard and saw on YouTube struck me as way off.
where does this say that you listened to the digital release? i guess after your additional explanation quoted below i can now understand that was what you tried to say. but that was not what you said.

Quote:
Uh, so he has an "informed opinion" if he decides in the end that it's good, even though he didn't go to the shows? But if you don't go to the shows, but listen to the recording and decide it's crap, it's not an informed opinion. Is that what you are saying?
let me explain this to you slowly, like you were apparently trying to me: he has more informed opinion than you IF he heard digital release and you haven't.

you didn't clearly say that you've heard digital release, and thinking logically (that may have been the wrong choice ) i couldn't predict you were willing to spend 90 minutes of your life and $10 for digital release when you were not willing to spent any of that to actually go hear the show live when it was in your neck of the woods, despite your long-standing love for this guy's music.

to conclude, just to make it really clear - if you both heard digital release, your opinions are both informed.

i will still never understand why you decided to skip on actually hearing what he had to offer. it just always seemed like trying to make some kind of point (kinda like "you don't want to do acoustic show the way i want it, i will not even try to go see what you actually put together"), unnecessarily.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
where does this say that you listened to the digital release? i guess after your additional explanation quoted below i can now understand that was what you tried to say. but that was not what you said.
I never said he did. I was simply agreeing with him, based on what I heard. Again, not really that hard a concept.

Quote:
let me explain this to you slowly, like you were apparently trying to me: he has more informed opinion than you IF he heard digital release and you haven't.
And how did you reach that conclusion, after I repeatedly wrote that I was basing my opinion on what I heard?

Quote:
i will still never understand why you decided to skip on actually hearing what he had to offer. it just always seemed like trying to make some kind of point (kinda like "you don't want to do acoustic show the way i want it, i will not even try to go see what you actually put together"), unnecessarily.
Look, Elle, I don't think Lindsey Buckingham is infallible as a musician. I have followed the man for decades and absorbed as much as I can from him for my own purposes. He is my favorite guitarist. No one else does what he does.

But he makes missteps, and he has made several lately. You didn't like the This Is 40 songs. I do. I disagree with you, but I don't give you a hard time about it. You like the crappy, synthetic sound of OMS, I don't. I could tell you your ears need cleaning, if you like the horrible sonics on that awful recording, but I don't. It doesn't sound good to me. If I had been at the show, I would have loved to see the man doing his thing. But when I learned that all he was doing was replacing the backing band with pre-recorded tracks, I didn't want to waste my time. That was my decision, I stand by it, and I feel good about it.

None of this changes the fact the sound is crappy. None of it changes the fact that the production on the EP is even crappier.

Have I made myself clear?

Last edited by RockawayBlind; 05-03-2013 at 06:14 PM..