Treason 2 6.25%
What's The World Coming To 5 15.63%
Wrong 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default favorite political or social commentary song

lindsey's songs with social or political commentary - some of it completely in-your-face clear (One Take!), some of it not so much (Treason?):

Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
One Take
Peacekeeper
Red Rover
Seeds We Sow
That's How We Do It In L.A.
Time Bomb Town
Treason
What's The World Coming To
Wrong

whatever you like about the song - the lyrics, the message, the music, the whole combination and package... which one is your favorite among these relatively rare general social commentary songs by lindsey?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know i'll be in the minority but Treason, always been one of my absolute favs. The melody, the lyrics. Perfection to me.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
I know i'll be in the minority but Treason, always been one of my absolute favs. The melody, the lyrics. Perfection to me.
hey, taste and what you love is personal! and we are not voting for the best song, we are voting for our favorite song so... plus judging by how much he uses it in his promos and how much he does it live, LB might agree with you.

i have to say, i really love lindsey when he ventures in the social commentary territory. however great some of his love, anti-love, personal growth and angry songs are, i like my musicians to get out of their little personal cocoon and take a look at the world around them at least from time to time.

although can't decide yet, this is my breakdown of these songs:
  • Murrow Turning Over In His Grave - love the message, love the chorus with turning over musical impression, love the guitar solo
  • One Take - LOVE the song, especially the verses (not that keen on the music of the chorus) and the guitar solo fits perfectly imo - and love that he provided very clear social commentary in this one
  • Peacekeeper - LOVE his original fast solo version - although music is a bit pedestrian i always liked listening to this song a lot, and LOVE the lyrics
  • Red Rover - LOVE this one as a whole package, guitar parts in it are pure perfection (specially when he does them during the soundcheck in one of his UTS tour videos)
  • Seeds We Sow - if there weren't those ta-ta-tas in there (although i do think loud annoying ta-ta-tas make this song more of a social commentary), i would love the whole sound of this song, but b/c of those... well, i just like it. electric SWS though - now THAT song i LOVE!
  • That's How We Do It In L.A. - one of my favorites from Law & Order. love all the screaming and amusing guitar parts. never paid much attention to lyrcis of this one.
  • Time Bomb Town - eh
  • Treason - i like it well enough i guess, and sometimes it's really pleasant to listen to, including at this last tour... but it just is not where so many other LB songs are for me
  • What's The World Coming To - dislike
  • Wrong - i like it when i do listen to it, and the video is probably by far the best vid LB ever made (Rolling Bone = pure stroke of genius as McTrouble noted), but i just don't feel the urge to listen to this song for some reason.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm going with the oddball vote - That's How We Do It In L.A. was always one of my favorite things on Law & Order.

Runners up: Peacekeeper (for the lyrics), One Take, Murrow.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could have voted for quite a few of these - but plumped for WTWCT
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it was between One Take and Red Rover for me... and possibly Peacekeeper b/c of lyrics and my love for solo fast version... or SWS b/c of my love for electric version especially that melodic guitar outro. maybe Murrow...

so i decided to go for One Take... partly b/c i don't think it will get many votes.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hard to choose between One Take, Wrong and Time Bomb Town.

Michele
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy cow!! These polls are killing me! This is not easy, I love so many of these songs!!

Murrow Turning Over In His Grave - LOVE this so much. The lyrics, the music, the whole big song.
One Take - To this day, I smile when he gets to the guitar solo on this one...every time.
Peacekeeper - LOVE the original from bootleg GOS. All other versions pale greatly.
Red Rover - Geez, I LOVE this song. The Soundstage version is so good, and the video of him doing this at sound-check is one of my favorite Lindsey moments.

Seeds We Sow - This video, from Pattie. Sublime. And unlike Elle, the ta ta tas have completely grown on me. LOVE everything about this song ( even more so live )

That's How We Do It In L.A. - eh.
Time Bomb Town - eh.
Treason - LOVE this. Lyrics are beautiful. Music and harmoies are gorgeous.
What's The World Coming To - I LOVE the Live in Boston version... really great.
Wrong - What's not to LOVE? Great song from a great album, and certainly fits the poll criteria!

-------------------
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went with Wrong. That was the first solo Lindsey song I ever heard and though it was sooo strange. What the @#$% am I listening to?

Now it holds a special place in my heart...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure how "Wrong" is a political/social commentary song. It seems to be a revenge song directed at one individual in particular.

It belongs under the music/career category.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I'm not sure how "Wrong" is a political/social commentary song. It seems to be a revenge song directed at one individual in particular.

It belongs under the music/career category.
i think Wrong can be easily generalized to some big business (music business or even wider) - whether or not lindsey's initial motivation was his reaction to Mick's book. but you definitely have a point - pity you didn't have a chance to chime in when we were trying to sort out which songs should go into which category. still - not too late - there are (and will be) a number of threads where we are still working our way through categorizing various LB songs around topics. here is the list of his songs we started with http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49723. you may not be that interested in his songs, but it would be really nice to hear all different points of view!

Wrong may or may not fit not just in personal career/music category, but also songs about (or directed at?) certain people in his life - like Bwana, DOR, Miranda, Johnny Stew, etc - a poll that we have yet to assemble.

also, disregard Wrong if it bothers you and don't hesitate to vote for the song you like and think fits well in this particular poll!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Murrow and Red Rover in the lead so far, with all other songs packed closely behind...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It had to be Murrow. The mass-Lindsey chorus, the weird guitar in the bridges and then - THE SOLO. I know ChilliD considers it to be exactly the same as ISA (and it is certainly a close sibling) but there's just something about the tone, the delay, the timing of it all that makes it possibly my favourite Lindsey rock guitar solo. That solo just sounds pissed off at the world, whereas ISA is more mournful.

Red Rover could have been a second pick because it's sometimes my all time favourite Lindsey song but I don't see it so much as a social or political song. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what I think it's about.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Murrow and Rover

after 30+ votes, 2 songs received equal number of votes:

Murrow Turning Over In His Grave 7
Red Rover 7

so both songs will go into the next round as favorite lindsey songs with general social or political commentary.
Closed Thread