User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Yes, in a choice of extremes I would much rather be part of the Critics Forum than the Crawling Sycophant's Forum.
How weird is it that..... everyone over there....seems to....write..... with lots of....dots and ellipses.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Yes, it's like everyone there is permanently overdosed on antidepressants or something!

You know in these dictator-ruled countries you get those crowds of people who permanently follow the dictator around shouting his name and cheering "hoorah" no matter what he says or does....well....

Last edited by seteca; 02-02-2003 at 10:18 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I absolutely agreed with this!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
This is no longer a fan forum, but a critic's forum. My lord you people are hard to please!! We are all welcome to our own opinion, but god lately you people don't like anything. Don't like the songs that are leaked, don't like songs on tv, don't want the same songs that you have heard for the last year through unofficial sources to be the same as the songs on the album, don't like the title, don't like how many cities they plan to play. I think many have built this thing up to be such an event of biblical proportions that nothing will satisfy this group.

I for one am glad to be getting some new material and have the opportunity to see them again live. Some songs may be a great, a few below average, and many average, but I admire the fact they have chosen to release new material, as opposed to just whoring out the past on the road as many great bands have been doing for the last few years with a complete absence of new material.

John
People would you please at least be happy with the fact that there is going to be new FM music coming up. I've noticed the same thing that John its writing about. Lets just be more positive from now on...

Isabel
Old 02-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
I think I've found the longer I'm a fan of Fleetwood Mac, the more critical I've become. And that's not a bad thing - they're the ones who raised the bar for me.
Sure we expect great things from them and sometimes those expectations aren't met. But theres no need for people to feel ofended or like Nightbird_Brett wrote "hissy fits" about this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
As for people complaining about the complainers - if you want a board like that, head over to Mick's. It's chock full of praise and no controversy!
Well, maybe you never have gone there but its just the same as here. Actually most of you go there.

Isabel
Old 02-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
Say You Will...what? What does it mean?
I think the cooler titles are the ones that have a little mystery to them.

Pretend that you're an average fan who hasn't heard any of the info about the new album and you hear that it will be called "Say You Will"...I'm sure it might spark a little curiousity, because, while it is a little bland, I think it's original for an album title.

I find I've warmed up to it considerably since this morning.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 02-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Every side of this argument is right... and this is one of those grey areas in life that I find so fascinating.

The seemingly endless criticisms can get tiring after awhile... and yet, I enjoy the fact that we're all able to debate and discuss until we're blue in the face, if we wish.

I think we were all hoping to be blown away by the title, after having waited so long... and we all had our ideas of what it should be called.
But it is what it is, and no amount of complaining will change it.

We'll all just have to get used to it (and that includes me, as I'm not knocked out by it either).

At any rate, we should look at it this way....
at least they didn't call it 'Udder Sucker'!!!
(A joke for the "old school" fans)

Johnny Stew
Old 02-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Random points:

1. I think it's absolutely, repulsively ridiculous to hold the talent of Fleetwood Mac on the bar of what their album's title will be. Further...

2. I think possibly they just got tired of debating an album title. I mean, the entire album is done and has a release date, but no title?

3. It's not bad to be a little critical on discussion boards, but the criticism has FLOODED the board. Whoever said it was right...all we (and I'll include myself) seem to be doing is dissecting every little point almost grudgingly -- for example the use of Say You Will in a commercial. Who knows, maybe Fox asked Fleetwood Mac to use it in the commercial. Why would you say no?
Old 02-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see both sides of this "fan vs. critic" argument, but c'mon folks, if you're a fan of a band that makes you feel like you're being USED or CONNED for BEING a fan, I think a dump-truck load of criticism is warranted.

As far as the "bar of expectation" being high...well, "f-ing A" right it is. Not counting 35 years of great music already given us, we've been led along like sheep for nearly the past decade (or it FEELS that long, anyway) awaiting Lindsey's "Gift Of Screws", read "insider" reports that Lindsey's new material is "the best he's ever done", Mick feeds us things like "a whole new sound", etc, etc, etc. I'm tired of eating the crap they're feeding me. I want to hear the stuff and judge for myself. I've NEVER been "disappointed" enough that I'll ever stop being a fan of Fleetwood Mac, but the way they've gone about making me FEEL about being a fan has really pissed me off.

And, as I think about it, in the past 8 or 9 years since I started posting to various on-line Fleetwood Mac boards/newsgroups, etc, I find my criticism of the band has increased 100 fold. I think I've hit on the "why that is"

I think it is a situation that "ok, we're all here BECAUSE we're Fleetwood Mac fans"...I assume we can take that for granted, right? Ok, considering that as "the given", I'm not going to sit here and type inane "everything Fleetwood Mac does is wonderful" posts...the ol' "preaching to the choir" BS. The DAY the new Say You Will album comes out, I'll have it in my collection, I'll be listening to it 10-20 times a day for the first few weeks. I'll pick out my likes & dislikes with a fine-toothed comb. I'll post my thoughts here and elsewhere, knowing that a majority of us have heard the songs and will be able to relate to, but I definitely do not assume being agreed with, what I post. That's actually kind of refreshing, in the big picture. But, put me in the REAL world, up against some less than marginal "Fleetwood Mac listener" (as opposed to "fan") who dares to criticize the band and I'll eat 'em for lunch..."how DARE you criticize them when you know absolutely NOTHING about them and won't even consider yourself a fan". By being here, there's a comfort level of understanding that allows us to criticize the band, fawn over the band, enjoy AND dislike all the many facets of the band and still be a part of a tight knit community. Sure, I know I've ruffled feathers here on a number of occasions, and vice versa; but, it is the fact that our view of this band is on such a microscopic level (by that I mean that we take every bit of info, music, etc, and examine it down to its sub-atomic parts), that we sometimes lose track that by just BEING here show our "fandom" in all its glory.

(Can I get an "AMEN, brother"?)

(Uh, chiliD, will you get back on TOPIC??!?!?!?)

uhhh...yeah...sure....

So, the album title is Say You Will, eh?? It doesn't light my fire, but at least we don't have to MAKE UP a name for it like we have had to with Dog & Dustbin & the white album

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
At least they didn't call it "Uddersucker"
HEY!! Nothing wrong with recycling!!! Clapton did for HIS latest! One More Car, One More Rider was the original title for his album that eventually released as August...it was an 11th hour name change. In his Rolling Stone magazine interview article that preceded the album's release by a week, the title was reported as OMC,OMR...but, in the meantime, his son Conor was born and Eric retitled the album.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-03-2003 at 12:33 AM..
Old 02-03-2003, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

AMEN, brother!!!!!!!!!!!

And you know, chili... While I LOVE the debates, I've also been someone who has, at times, asked why we need to complain so much around here. I love Fleetwood Mac's music more than any other band out there... so while there have been things that I might have been disappointed about, or songs that didn't blow me away... I tend to not dwell on those things, simply because i don't think it accomplishes anything.
So I sometimes tire of all the criticisms.

I think other people feel that way too.
It's like, "ok, we *know* they're not perfect, but why do we have to go on and on about it?"

But.... your post just really opened my eyes in a way none other has.
I guess it really comes down to the old feeling that one can complain about something they love, because the fact that they DO love it is considered a "gimme" to them... but if anyone else has something unkind to say, they're going to get an earful.

Which also explains why various fans so often rush to defend Lindsey and Stevie, in particular, around here.
"Hey, I love that song... how DARE you say something bad about it!?!"

At any rate, I think the recent debates and conversations and apologies and explanations, have been extremely productive around here.
Maybe we're beginning to understand where everyone is coming from a little better... as corny as that may sound.

Now bring on the new music!!!

Johnny Stew
Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I for one will give an "Amen Brother" to ChilliD and Johnny Stew!
Although I don't have the time to write many lengthy posts,in my mind I'd wrote a million before I ever had a computer or knew there was such a thing as the Ledge. Except my "points" had no "counterpoints". If I was defending FM or Stevie to an average radio listener (or even a fan that was maybe lacking the fervor of a Ledgie) I didn't hear their "counterpoint" because, well, why should I? What do they know...foolish mortals!
But here I read some heated debates by people who take this band SERIOUSLY. I've learned a ton about the Mac (and I thought I knew everything), I've been greatly entertained by many of the threads and have never been offended by any post here.
In a prior post somewhere I wrote (and I re-iterate): The way we dissect Fleetwood Mac and debate the merits of its individual members in 2003, means : WE ARE ALL FREAKS!
So the Ledge is actually a support group, we should love our brother and sister Ledgies, and respect what everyone says, good or bad.
P.S. If Mick Fleetwood really understood our level of devotion (and knew the amount of money I and probably everyone else here has shoveled in his pocket, he'd make us all fan club charter members at no charge! Anyone for a petition? *just kidding*
*Ricoh*
Old 02-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agreed with what has been said, I can see why some people are not happy. I dont mind arguments, actually its human nature to have them.

My problem was this:

Its just that we waited so long and finally they say the tittle of the album and all I felt was excited and happy that we're closer to the tour dates. See, I didnt care about the name of the album it just meant to me that with almost there. (Hope I make sense with this.)

And then...

I come here, most of you are complaining about this darn tittle. To me that was a shocking thing, so I decide to post about it.

You guys know that I dont post as regularly than most of you and especially if it is an argument, not because I didnt want to, but because it only is going to make it worst. God knows that sometimes I wanted to, believe me if you ask my friends they will tell you that I am all about arguing) lol

Ummm... "udder sucker" LMAO

Isabel
Old 02-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Sure we expect great things from them and sometimes those expectations aren't met. But theres no need for people to feel ofended or like Nightbird_Brett wrote "hissy fits" about this.
Agreed. And there's no reason for anyone to be offended by the fact that many of us don't like the title and express that here.

Quote:
Well, maybe you never have gone there but its just the same as here. Actually most of you go there.
Oh, I've been there. And I don't find it anything remotely like The Ledge.

Hey, ChiliD - I give you another "Amen!"

Mike B.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:46 AM

Amen, Brother Chili [bowing respectfully with hands in the air]!!!

First off, the album title sucks.

Second, I find it more annoying that some folks keep complaining about the arguments on this board than the arguments themselves. Discussions, by their very nature, will lead to arguments. So let's just accept that. If you don't want to jump in, don't.

Now, I'm going to go write a song called "Heat seekers vs. Peacekeepers."

At ease.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Title

Glad to know what it is, anyway.

I don't really like it but then I don't have to either=:-)
Old 02-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

kudos to chilid, he is totally right, perfectly said. I personally think we're great fans...we're devoted, knowledgeable and we talk in great depth and detail about our favorite band. so we fight a bit, at least people aren't boring around here!!!

btw...i love to write in...just a punctuation lover!! but I don't consider myself a sychophant of course if I met FM in real life then I'd be all you're great and I love you's...

as far as the title, eh!!

Warning: All sensitive FM fans...be prepared for the brewhaha which will occur when the album cover and publicity shots come out!!

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64

Last edited by Bella Figura; 02-03-2003 at 01:56 PM..
Old 02-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I really liked FM choosing "Say You Will" for the title not just because of the words themselves but because of the meaning behind them..in the context of Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey and Stevie working together on a studio album for the first time since TITN..a plea from Stevie asking Lindsey, and the rest of the band for that matter to do this(record, tour) one more time..."give me one more chance"....."if I ask you to dance". That's what came to my mind when I heard this phrase. How appropriate after all these years.

"Say You Will" such an open ended term..... Asking someone to do something willingly and freely because it means so much. "Say You Will" 'marry me' , 'die for me', 'stay with me' etc etc etc.

It's all about freedom and choice... and that 's about as political as I'd like Fleetwood Mac to be. "Peacekeeper" as someone so aptly stated has too much political innuendo in this day and age...and that's the LAST thing I want FM to become...POLITICAL.

Joe