The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally posted by John Run This is no longer a fan forum, but a critic's forum. My lord you people are hard to please!! We are all welcome to our own opinion, but god lately you people don't like anything. Don't like the songs that are leaked, don't like songs on tv, don't want the same songs that you have heard for the last year through unofficial sources to be the same as the songs on the album, don't like the title, don't like how many cities they plan to play. I think many have built this thing up to be such an event of biblical proportions that nothing will satisfy this group.

I for one am glad to be getting some new material and have the opportunity to see them again live. Some songs may be a great, a few below average, and many average, but I admire the fact they have chosen to release new material, as opposed to just whoring out the past on the road as many great bands have been doing for the last few years with a complete absence of new material.

John,

I agree! I was so excited just to get some news, and then so many of the posts here were such downers. Well, for you "Glass is half full" folks out there, please remember that they don't hand out Grammy awards for album titles! Sure it isn't what I would imagine they name the record, but really does it matter? They could have called it "Butt Nugget" and as long as there are some good songs on the record, I'll be happy!
Old 02-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SmthngOfADreamr
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I myself don't see anything wrong with having super high expectations for them as well. They SHOULD be held accountable for their songs and things even as piddly as the album title. We're talking about a critically acclaimed mega group whose life spans numerous decades, who have sold about a gazillion albums worldwide, and who have been very successful in almost everything they have ever attempted. This isn't some garage band whose fans should be content with saying "well, we're just happy to see them release a new album and it'd be great if they tour a bit too." There is no reason why anybody should have to "settle" or lower their expectations for this project. FM should be shooting for the moon, and we should not have to accept anything less.

Did anyone ever think that maybe the members of FM really like this title???? It is after all THEIR album. They can name it whatever they want... I don't think anyone should be disappointed with ANY album title... I'm sure the band thought long and hard about the title, they obviously like it and think it fits the context of the album... or else they would've named it something different. If FM thought that "Peacekeeper" was the best choice for the album, then I'm sure that would've been the title. But obviously they didn't.

I think that you can't really make any judgements until you see the whole "package"...... I have faith that the title will do justice to the album content.

JMO....

Last edited by silversprings8; 02-02-2003 at 03:28 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by silversprings8
Did anyone ever think that maybe the members of FM really like this title????
Sure, but that doesn't make it any less bland of a title IMO.

Quote:
I don't think anyone should be disappointed with ANY album title...
It's just a matter of personal taste. It's OK to express an opinion as to whether you like the sound of the title Peacekeeper better than Say You Will. I agree that the ultimate judgement will arrive when we hear the entire album, but until then, it's not a mortal sin to say that you don't like something (which seems to be a recurring issue here).

Last edited by SmthngOfADreamr; 02-02-2003 at 03:40 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default My 2 pennies...

*In my best Blaine from In Living Color voice* Hated it.
*snap snap snap*

The title sucks dog chow..IMO...

Fleetwood Mac --------- Say You Will

I prefer:

Fleetwood Mac ------- Peacekeeper or

Fleetwood Mac -------- Illume

But, that's just me.

Maybe it will grow on me....but, right now....yep, sucks dog chow.

I LOVE the song Peacekeeper, haven't heard Thrown Down, and I haven't heard enough of Say You Will to like or not like it yet.

I am however EXCITED ENOUGH TO PEE ON MYSELF concerning the TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAY...my birthday is May 2nd and all I ask for are TICKETS and money to buy programs, tee-shirts, keychains, the FRICKIN WORKS!!
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Considering some of the demos and songs that we've heard so far, I've been thinking what a pity it is that they've already used 'The Dance' as a title.
It seems that would have been very fitting for this collection.

As an album title, 'Peacekeeper' was ok... but I always felt it might give off the wrong vibe as far as what kind of music would be contained within.

My initial reaction is that 'Say You Will' comes off a bit blandly as an album title, but... again... considering some of the music we've heard so far, I get the impression there's a theme to the album, and apparently Fleetwood Mac felt that 'Say You Will' best represented that theme.

I'm sure it will grow on us in time... and if it doesn't, then call it whatever you want.
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter... it's the music inside that counts.
(Of course, I'm waiting for all the grumbles about that too.)

You know, as I sit here and think about it, the new title is already growing on me.

Johnny Stew
Old 02-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Another 2 pennies...

I forgot to elaborate on something...

I agree that we've hyped this album up BIG TIME and psyched ourselves out SO much that we were prepared to be BLOWN AWAY/KNOCKED OUT/AWED/AMAZED, etc...by the album title, songs, and OMG, wait till we see the cover!!!! GASP!! Do ya'll think it will be that pic we've all seen? That pic goes with the album title...blah.

The more I think about it, it's silly (yet FUN!!) to sit here and DISSECT everything, the album title, the picture, the songs, the news, etc...LOL

I'm just gonna go with the flow...not get mad about the dumb title, ENJOY THE CRAP outta this album/tour and live it up...for it may be the last from FM....I pray not tho.

One MORE thing: THANK GOD that the members of FM don't look like corpses like some OTHER rock bands do...I'm not mentioning any names....
Old 02-02-2003, 06:14 PM

Is having a bad title really the end of the world

Surely its the 18 tracks on the CD we and the general public will be buying the CD for???

I mean, I love the new Mariah album, but the title is the worst album title ever
Old 02-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Will...what? What does it mean? I prefer 'Peacekeeper'.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks for the post John Run!

John Run,
I could not have said it better myself. I have been trying to figure out a word to call what this forum has become and that is exactly it---a critic's forum! And I'm sure I'll get alot of stones thrown at me for this, but I say we get rid of the critics and turn this into a fan forum again. I have nothing against people saying they would have preferred another title or think it's a little bland, but the people that are having hissy fits over it are being absolutely rediculous!!! I cannot remember any album in the history of the music industry being ruined because of the title of it. I totally agree with you---let's be glad that our favorite band is still making music and giving us an extremely long tour! I can usually restrain myself from these negative threads, but I just can't take it anymore!

So once, again...good for you John Run!!!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree totally that the forum has become too negative lately. I mean come on lets just be happy that the band is still alive and kicking and making new albums. We need to savour this moment and not dwell on what we may or may not like about the new album.

Ps. I think the albums title is lousy. But that's just my oppinion
Old 02-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think I've found the longer I'm a fan of Fleetwood Mac, the more critical I've become. And that's not a bad thing - they're the ones who raised the bar for me. They're the ones who get me to hope for the best that they can offer. So whenever I'm criticizing them - whether it's the choice of songs they play live, their inactivity for years at a time or the name of their album - it's because I expect more and want more out of them. It doesn't mean I like the music any less. I love Thrown Down and Peacekeeper and can't wait to hear the rest. But I'm not excited about this title.

I think my problem with the title is that Rumours, Mirage, and Tango In The Night are dramatic and mysterious...they conjure images that I associate with the band. Say You Will? I guess there could be some mystery to it. But it doesn't ring "Fleetwood Mac" to me.

As for people complaining about the complainers - if you want a board like that, head over to Mick's. It's chock full of praise and no controversy!

Mike B.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey NICKSFAN- I love that your post is about savoring the new album and not being negative about it and then your p.s. says: I think the album title is lousy. How "ironical" (taken from the Stevie Nicks Book of Adjectives).
I'm actually a Nicksfan, too and wonder if they decided in their democratic way that everyone had a song/album title except Stevie and (suspecting this might be their swansong album) to be fair, picked the best Stevie song title from the project that somehow fit the vibe of this project. It would be fair, huh?
The name Peacekeeper -like it or not- certainly does pack more of a punch and sticks with you longer, but does have certain political innuendo that maybe they want to avoid. I mean-they really have never been known for being a "political" band. Just because they played at the White House doesn't mean they wrote the song for Bill (or that the song even had the meaning he gave it!)
*Ricoh*
Old 02-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK one more post on this topic and I'm done. I'm not sure why some people consider that in a fan forum, you cannot be critical of an artist's work. That is a rediculous notion to me. Otherwise it's as if you are just sitting there in mindless adoration, not thinking for yourself, just accepting whatever is handed to you and ingesting it. That's not the kind of person I am and that's not the kind of fan I am either. There is nothing wrong with being critical about Fleetwood Mac - as fans we should be able to take the bad along with the good. And if someone finds something that they consdier bad, they should not have to stifle themselves just because this is a forum full of fans. As fans, I would think that we should appreciate each other's opinions, both good and bad. Also, I really don't think that anyone overreacted to the album title - it's perfectly acceptable to say that you prefer something else.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes, in a choice of extremes I would much rather be part of the Critics Forum than the Crawling Sycophant's Forum.
How weird is it that..... everyone over there....seems to....write..... with lots of....dots and ellipses.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SmthngOfADreamr
And if someone finds something that they consdier bad, they should not have to stifle themselves just because this is a forum full of fans.
Amen. More than a fan forum this is a "discussion forum" meant for fans. There is a small difference between the two concepts. If the discussion is lost and we're agreeing in everything then there's no point to the board at all. Just my humble opinion.

Song of the moment - When The Sun Goes Down