User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Top 100 '70s Rock Albums

Top 100 ’70s Rock Albums
by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff

Picking our list of the Top 100 ’70s Rock Albums was no easy task, if only because that period boasted such sheer diversity. The decade saw rock branch into a series of intriguing new subgenres, beginning, at the dawn of the ’70s, with heavy metal. Singer-songwriters came into their own; country-rock flourished. The era ended with the revitalizing energy of punk and New Wave. No list would be complete without climbing onto every one of those limbs. Here’s are the Top 100 ’70s Rock Albums, presented chronologically from the start of the decade.

'Fleetwood Mac'
Fleetwood Mac (1975): When Californians Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac for this LP, the group was a leftover British blues band from the '60s. They soon became one of the biggest groups on the planet, thanks to this terrific collection of sunkissed pop.
62 of 101

'Rumours'
Fleetwood Mac (1977): Memorably cinematic, Fleetwood Mac's masterpiece chronicled with a lush directness (quite literally, it turned out) the way that relationships coalesce then dissolve.
77 of 101

It's a quite unadventurous list, but overall enjoyable:

Read More: Top 100 '70s Rock Albums | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/70s-r...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-05-2015 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the White Album ranked higher than Rumours. Interesting!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a load of crap.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's in order of date. They are just the top 100 best rock albums of the 70's in chronological order, not rank.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Old 03-11-2015, 02:38 PM

The Top 100 ’80s Rock Albums span a series of genres as startling and varied as the era’s neon-flecked fashions. No one was immune to the early-decade emergence of new wave, from up-and-coming acts to legacy groups — many of whom began incorporating the then-new sound into their bedrock approach. Meanwhile, classic rock and subsequently metal began a transformation into mass acceptance when the edges were smoothed out to form arena rock and hair metal, respectively. The arrival of roots, thrash, and world music influences kept things interesting, along the way. All of it made selecting the period’s best releases both intriguing and deeply challenging. Check out the photo gallery above, as Ultimate Classic Rock takes a chronological look at the Top 100 ’80s Rock Albums.

'Bella Donna'
Stevie Nicks (1981): Stevie Nicks' long-awaited solo career got off to a fast start with this smash hit, though she still seemed to favor collaborations -- working with Don Henley, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Waddy Wachtel, rather than Lindsey Buckingham.

'Mirage'
Fleetwood Mac (1982): After indulging in the sprawling, wildly expensive, weirdly effective 'Tusk,' Fleetwood Mac returned with a comfy retro vibe for 'Mirage' - and fans raced back for the lacey mysteries of "Gypsy" and the soaring joys of "Hold Me."

Read More: Top 100 '80s Rock Albums | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/80s-r...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-16-2015 at 05:44 AM..
Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They have Mirage on the list instead of Tango in the Night? That's hilariously stupid.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:06 PM

Why? I love Mirage, even if Lindsey's material isn't his best, it's the perfect balance among the classic Fleetwood Mac Rumours sound and the new 80's music style.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: she said she said
Old 03-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
It's in order of date. They are just the top 100 best rock albums of the 70's in chronological order, not rank.
Thank you for pointing out it this misunderstanding that this was based on rank. Even if it was, it's no big deal!

These lists aren't official statements of fact. How are these lists any different from the lists and polls we make on this site? It's all just a matter of opinion.

Breathe.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-15-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Default and it all came down to this

Clash of the Titans: ’70s vs. ’80s
by Jeff Giles March 16, 2015 2:12 PM

We’ve pitted songs and albums against each other in previous installments of Clash of the Titans, but this time, we’re pitching a bigger battle, and putting two entire decades in the ring.
That’s right, rock fans: For this Clash, we’re making you choose between the ’70s and ’80s — a pair of 10-year spans during which the genre faced challenges from a growing array of new technologies and sounds, with everything from punk and disco to MTV and the drum machine forcing artists to evolve and adapt to keep with the times.
While all these changes had a tendency to produce some of the more infamously ill-advised decisions made by rock artists, the ’70s and ’80s also produced a lot of classic rock records — more than you might think, especially during the latter decade, which is often remembered more as a breeding ground for New Wave and hip-hop than a rock-friendly era.
In fact, how you feel about this Clash of the Titans poll probably has a lot to do with when you were born, and which decade you remember most fondly (or remember at all). But for those of you who just can’t decide, don’t worry — we’ve included a whole bunch of great albums from both decades below to help you relive some of the brightest highlights from the ’70s and ’80s, and you can vote once an hour between now and when the ballots close 11:59PM ET on March 22.

Read More: Clash of the Titans: '70s vs. '80s | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/70s-v...ckback=tsmclip
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

Why? I love Mirage, even if Lindsey's material isn't his best, it's the perfect balance among the classic Fleetwood Mac Rumours sound and the new 80's music style.
I love that gif!! and I love her!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love that gif!! and I love her!
Thank you, I also love them very much!
In fact I have a harem of gifs in my computer and on appropriate opportunities I chose the one that inspires me the most.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Default I was wondering when this would have come out

Clash of the Titans: ’60s vs. ’70s
by Jeff Giles March 23, 2015 4:05 PM

For our previous Clash of the Titans, we asked you to choose between the ’70s and ’80s. This time, the ’70s have to get in the ring with their big brother the ’60s.
As with our last Clash, how you feel about this probably has a lot to do with when you were born, and which decade provided more of a soundtrack to your youth. There’s certainly no arguing the fact that both periods brought rock fans plenty of classic albums, and if we were packing for a trip to a deserted island, we wouldn’t want to ignore either of them — while rock started to flower in the ’60s, it bloomed in a bunch of new directions during the 10 years that followed, and the best moments from both decades sound great with the volume turned up.
Needless to say, we don’t envy your task here. But to make it a little easier, we’ve put together a pair of slideshows celebrating some of the most incredible albums released during the ’60s and ’70s, and you can check them both out below before casting your vote. (Fair warning: You might end up spending the rest of the day listening to classic records instead of getting any work done.)
And if it’s still too tough to pick between them, not to worry: As with all of our Clashes, you’ve got one week until the polls close, and you can cast your ballot once an hour until it’s over at 11:59PM ET on March 29. May the best decade win!

Read More: Clash of the Titans: '60s vs. '70s | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/60s-v...ckback=tsmclip
Old 03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well, I do love that Bella Donna was included as one of the best albums of the 1980s. It's certainly one of my two or three favorite albums from that decade, a rarity in this world: a perfect album. To me, anyway.

Now, where's Tusk? Certainly one of the best '70s albums ever.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM

That's exactly how I feel. I am glad that finally Stevie is getting the respect she deserves for her work outside Fleetwood Mac, and I am even more glad that they haven't forgotten other albums that aren't Rumours but Tusk was just beginning to get finally ackowledged and they left it out.