Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have to say that I never had a problem with the lyrics for "Thrown Down" (the shift in tenses actually suited the song in my opinion), but I was always disturbed by the use of "ran" in "Smile At You". Johnny makes a valid point about Lindsey being the one to actually focus on what was undoubtedly an ad-libbed line in the beginning, most likely just thrown in as a rhyme whilst the song was being formulated.
So you too believe that she would have dug her heels in in Thrown Down but not on this one? The line appears at least 10 times in the song. That's Lindsey's responsibility somehow? Explain the rationale because I am confused.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
A fifth choice would be…Glyn Johns…followed by RICK RUBIN, RICK RUBIN, and RICK RUBIN.
LOL to Glyn Johns. Try to imagine Stevie's face if she walked into the studio and saw him. She would be outta there so fast. Faster than you could say: there will be no new Fleetwood Mac album.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I vote for Ken Caillat and Richard Dashut.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello RockawayBlind!
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not "blaming" Lindsey for the "I should have turned around and ran" line, after all, it was uttered from Stevie's mouth. However, I was commenting on the fact that Lindsey took umbrage over the lyrics of "Thrown Down" (sufficiently so to actually broach the matter with Stevie), but chose to ignore the grammatical error in the lyrics to "Smile At You". Furthermore, he actually built a whole chorus around this line that had previously only been part of the song's ending, which most likely would have been a fade.
We need to remember that Lindsey (and the boys) worked on many of Stevie's SYW songs whilst she was touring for TISL in 2001 and I am speculating that Lindsey created the new arrangement for "Smile At You" during Stevie's absence. I'm not purporting that Stevie disagreed with this change or that there was any discussion/disagreement over the usage of the "ran" lyric. All I'm suggesting is that Lindsey may not have had a problem with this lyric, which strikes me as odd when he clearly did have difficulty with some of the lyrics for "Thrown Down". Does this make sense?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
There's been quite a bit of talk about this one. Obviously the Mac are my all time favourite and of course I'd get the CD if/when they do it... but does it really need to be done?
I say yes if not purely for the fact that I don't think Say You Will should be the bands "last outing" in the new music arena. As much as I like that album, I'd rather the band retire/say farewell/whatever you wanna call it with one final album as the Rumours fivesome.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah Viv, I was thinking the same thing regarding Glyn Johns - that would be hilarious!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I vote for Ken Caillat and Richard Dashut.
Such an obvious choice. At least it would sound good.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want a new Fleetwood Mac because Christine is back!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Does this make sense?
Maybe, although "ran" rhymes with "can"....

As mentioned, there was You and I, and my personal favorite, Skies The Limit (not Sky's The Limit).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I say yes if not purely for the fact that I don't think Say You Will should be the bands "last outing" in the new music arena. As much as I like that album, I'd rather the band retire/say farewell/whatever you wanna call it with one final album as the Rumours fivesome.
Yeah, that really does make sense. I agree.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM

At this point: 92/99 people want a new FM album.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I will die if it sucks!!
It won't suck. I'd be shocked if it were anything less than really listenable and enjoyable. I suspect, however, it will be more than that. We shall see!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it's better than "Mirage," I'll be happy.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
It was a throwaway line at the end of the Tusk-era demo. So what? It became a central line in a song. It appears at least 10 times in the song. So how can it be just a throwaway line? On what basis do you make that statement?

You doubt Stevie was married to it. Again, on what basis? Has she ever said that?
I know. Ken Caillat pointed out that she was always fighting for her lyrics, because this line would be for Mary. This line would be for Jill. That one would be for her dad. So, she'd want to keep something in not because of how it sounded but because of what it meant to her. Who knows what she is married to or not. I don't think she perceives "throw away" as we would or as other members of Fleetwood Mac would. What may very well have sounded like "rubbish" to them could have been something she went to bat for. We just don't know, because it wasn't in a documentary.

Michele
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
It was a throwaway line at the end of the Tusk-era demo. So what? It became a central line in a song. It appears at least 10 times in the song. So how can it be just a throwaway line? On what basis do you make that statement?

You doubt Stevie was married to it. Again, on what basis? Has she ever said that?

So it's Lindsey's fault now because he was the "sole arranger." Seriously? You saw the documentary, right? She dug her heels in when he pointed out that her grammar was incorrect in Thrown Down, comparing herself to Bob Dylan. So what makes you think she would not have dug her heels in on this one? If you have the information, please share.
I didn't say it was Lindsey's "fault." I have no problem with the line as it is, so I don't really care whose idea it was to use in the chorus. What I'm trying to say, is that I can't imagine the line was very important to Stevie.

It may have become a central line in the 'Say You Will' version, but it started out life as a throwaway. She sang it at the tail-end of the 'Tusk' demo (you actually have to listen for it, as other things are being sung at the same time), and it doesn't appear at all in the 'Mirage'-era recordings. Not even in Stevie's ad-libs (which, surely, if it meant anything to her, she would have carried it over to each attempt at recording the song).

The band members, Lindsey included, have said many times that they worked for months on Stevie's tracks before she arrived to record her vocals. I would assume that meant arranging the songs, working out the structure, and recording basic tracks. So if Lindsey fashioned a chorus out of that line, I'm guessing he liked the sound of it, didn't have an issue with the grammar, and thought it gave the song a good "hook."

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 01-14-2014 at 11:28 PM..