The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, it is Penguin, not that the songs are all bad, but the album sounds so uneven, more like a label compilation not the combined work of musicians working together.

I also don't like TitN, aside from the title track everything is bland and overproduced, I bought it the day it came out and was so disapointed by it.

Time combines the 2 problems above, but the songwriting is a bit better and I cannot hate an album that solely depends on Christines songwriting.

SYW - The80s called, they want the rest of their overproducing and their old by-the-number tricks which weren't used on TitN back.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
My view is great...can pretty much imagine that yours is just a mirage (no pun intended).
My mirage is now 34 Years old. I call it Reality.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRobert View Post
Mirage, love Gypsy though
And you have the album cover as your user picture?????????
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hills.. mirages. fortunately I'm in heaven
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TIME

Runner Up: BEHIND THE MASK
Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Peter Green era is genius (ok, Mr Wonderful has one too many Elmore James tributes). The Kirwan albums are wonderful. The post-Kirwan albums, pre BN are never less than workmanlike fun.
While no big admirer of the BN incarnation I can see their first 2 albums have a kernel of intrinsically good pop songwriting from the perspective of melodious harmony. As Lindsay Buckingham the wannabe college professor would put it.
Tusk is a decent single disc at most. Mirage is bland. TITN I actually like. Behind The Mask sucks. SYW is exceedingly badly produced.
But Time is one desperate album.

Last edited by dino; 07-04-2013 at 02:11 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Penguin. {Hands down, no questions asked (pun intended as that is my least favourite single of the Vito/Burnette era and least favourite Stevie song EVER!!).}

While "Behind The Mask" might have some elements of "over production", it's still better than "Penguin" by thousands of miles in my opinion. "Time" is by no means anywhere near the best of FM's work, it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Can anyone really say that "The Derelict" and "Roadrunner" are better than "Save Me" or "Winds Of Change"? I'd rather listen to cats in heat than "The Derelict" or "Roadrunner".
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Penguin. {Hands down, no questions asked (pun intended as that is my least favourite single of the Vito/Burnette era and least favourite Stevie song EVER!!).}

While "Behind The Mask" might have some elements of "over production", it's still better than "Penguin" by thousands of miles in my opinion. "Time" is by no means anywhere near the best of FM's work, it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Can anyone really say that "The Derelict" and "Roadrunner" are better than "Save Me" or "Winds Of Change"? I'd rather listen to cats in heat than "The Derelict" or "Roadrunner".
I'll say it....I LOVE the Derelict. So Poo on you

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album Time is an easy, default target for many reasons: it's not a traditional and cohesive band album. It's just a varied configuration of musicians; a collection of varied contributions under the moniker of Fleetwood Mac.

This is Mick Fleetwood attempting to keep the Fleetwood Mac flame burning at a "Time" when the entire establishment was in complete flux. Individually, there are some very good songs on it. I'm now more forgiving about it.

In fact, I listened to it the other day, without any judgement, and really enjoyed various aspects of it. I believe this album was important because the band was on life support, and this kept them alive, allowing the brand to move on and evolve.

There are some horrible warts and missteps (songs) on other Fleetwood Mac albums that much more worse than the Time album is in its entirety.

Tango in the Night has not aged well. Stevie's contributions are a part of the problem. Of the middle period of the band - Kiln House through Heroes Are Hard to Find - Penguin is likely the weakest, though there are some good songs on it.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-04-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Can anyone really say that "The Derelict" and "Roadrunner" are better than "Save Me" or "Winds Of Change"? I'd rather listen to cats in heat than "The Derelict" or "Roadrunner".
I LOVE "The Derelict" (my second favorite song on Penguin, next to "Did You Ever Love Me") and dislike "Save Me."
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they should've kept Dave Walker for a full album. I've seen a load of photos where Dave is an obviously comfortable front guy on stage so a good combination all around you'd think, and then they removed him from studio recordings after he left kind of like when Gram Parsons left the Byrds. A deluxe Penguin or Mystery To me could add those. There was a time when the Byrds' Sweetheart Of The Rodeo was considered unquestionably their worst and yet now it's a classic with a 2 CD deluxe edition!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
And you have the album cover as your user picture?????????
I have Mirage and Rumours covers framed, hanging on my bedroom wall.

And the Dance poster.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
For me, it is Penguin, not that the songs are all bad, but the album sounds so uneven, more like a label compilation not the combined work of musicians working together.

I also don't like TitN, aside from the title track everything is bland and overproduced, I bought it the day it came out and was so disapointed by it.

Time combines the 2 problems above, but the songwriting is a bit better and I cannot hate an album that solely depends on Christines songwriting.
SYW - The80s called, they want the rest of their overproducing and their old by-the-number tricks which weren't used on TitN back.
Hey, don't write Bekka off so easily! Winds of Change is awesome!

And what do you mean re: SYW is overproduced? I don't disagree, just not sure I understand what the overproduced means in real terms. Poor track sequencing? Poor, repetitive instrumental tracks? Over-manipulated vocals (autotune)? Instrumental tracks which could have benefited from ...less instruments/decreased use of certain instruments? (Like how Without You really only needs to be Stevie with Lindsey and his guitar...and the two of them taking turns singing verses and singing the chorus together plus maybe some occasional additional lines)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst: Time
Best: Tusk (possibly the best ever)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Lowest on my list are Mirage, Time......And All Peter Green era stuff

Mick
So, basically, everything that started the band, you don't like?! That's bizarre. Had it not been for Peter, there would be no Fleetwood Mac, and Stevie and Lindsey would likely have squandered in obscurity. Lindsey would likely have made it with another band, but not likely that whomever that band was would have taken the "package" deal that Lindsey offered Mick that brought Stevie on board.