Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I would be very disappointed if they ever dropped ISA. As I've said before, I am absolutely blown away by that song live, but it needs more than a prerecorded drum track ala OMS to have maximum power. I'm really looking forward to experiencing it in all its glory at an FM show where the vocal, guitar and drums work together to create one of the band's most intense show stoppers.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I would be very disappointed if they ever dropped ISA. As I've said before, I am absolutely blown away by that song live, but it needs more than a prerecorded drum track ala OMS to have maximum power. I'm really looking forward to experiencing it in all its glory at an FM show where the vocal, guitar and drums work together to create one of the band's most intense show stoppers.
I have to disagree there. ISA has never been one of my favorites, but the OMS version really grabbed me and now I can't imagine it will a full band again.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What redtulip just said - I also think the OMS version of ISA was just THE best ever!!!

It made me LOVE a song that previously I could just take or leave!

It will sound not so good again now in FM setlist
Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well, to each his/her own but I have to say I'm surprised at preferences for the pre-recorded drum track which, to me, sounds like a drum machine. I've always considered a vibrant drum part played with passion (read: live and in the moment) to be integral to the song.

Last edited by sodascouts; 02-05-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, to each his/her own but I have to say I'm surprised at preferences for the pre-recorded drum track which, to me, sounds like a drum machine. I've always considered a vibrant drum part played with passion (read: live and in the moment) to be integral to the song.
I agree, ISA was a shell of its former self. I was very disappointed. Michele
Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I agree, ISA was a shell of its former self. I was very disappointed. Michele
Same for me. Actually, that goes for all of the electric songs he did.

My stepdad commented as we were leaving, "you know, go your own way was great, but the lack of Stevie's harmony on it was noticeable. It wasn't the same."

I didn't say anything, but I really don't think it was the lack of harmony that was the Missing piece. It was the lack of live instrumentation.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i can see both sides of ISA argument. it's a great song and was a showstopper in both cases at every show i've been at, with or without the backing band.

so i think it's a matter of personal preference and which arrangement hits you personally in the gut or you connect with. for me, it was a completely solo version with backing track. here is the version from one of the shows i was at -

i would also not put all rocking / electric songs in the same bucket: while it would be hard to argue that GYOW doesn't miss the band when performed with just a backing track, i suggest it's equally hard to argue against Come versions from OMS tour, which done completely solo with that minimal backing track, were some of the best versions of Come he ever performed.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just listened to the OMS version to see if I could articulate what it is I like about that version better than with the band. First, I don't think there is any drum in the backing track. I think there is a click track and maybe bass guitar? But I don't hear any drums. Part of what I liked best about the OMS version is the backing track, but it's more so in person than on the album. I remember really feeling the bass from the backing track and it helped me to feel the song more. And without the backing vocals and drums and everything, I think the guitar work stood out that much more and it conveyed more emotion for me.

Which is not to say it's bad with the band, I just get a lot more enjoyment out of the OMS version, especially live.

ETA: I feel the same about OMS Come, never really got into it before whether live or on SYW, but I adore it on OMS. And I think it's because it's so stripped down the guitar really stands out.

Last edited by redtulip; 02-05-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ...

I would love to see them do a kicking version of both Seven Wonders and Big Love with full band. They could def pull this off.

As far as songs to kick off the set list, please get rid of So Afraid. I am so tired of it. Lets keep Lindsey to 2 long guitar solos this tour.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I would love to see them do a kicking version of both Seven Wonders and Big Love with full band. They could def pull this off.

As far as songs to kick off the set list, please get rid of So Afraid. I am so tired of it. Lets keep Lindsey to 2 long guitar solos this tour.
check the must-do songd threas: ISA is not going anywhere, and it shouldn't. same with acoustic BL.

re 7W, i'm continually surprised that people want to use 1 of only maybe 2-3 choices for a SN deep cut on a song written by someone else, but we all have different wishes and tastes.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I just listened to the OMS version to see if I could articulate what it is I like about that version better than with the band. First, I don't think there is any drum in the backing track. I think there is a click track and maybe bass guitar? But I don't hear any drums. Part of what I liked best about the OMS version is the backing track, but it's more so in person than on the album. I remember really feeling the bass from the backing track and it helped me to feel the song more. And without the backing vocals and drums and everything, I think the guitar work stood out that much more and it conveyed more emotion for me.

Which is not to say it's bad with the band, I just get a lot more enjoyment out of the OMS version, especially live.

ETA: I feel the same about OMS Come, never really got into it before whether live or on SYW, but I adore it on OMS. And I think it's because it's so stripped down the guitar really stands out.
Yup

and

Yup
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
check the must-do songd threas: ISA is not going anywhere, and it shouldn't. same with acoustic BL.

re 7W, i'm continually surprised that people want to use 1 of only maybe 2-3 choices for a SN deep cut on a song written by someone else, but we all have different wishes and tastes.
It's still a good song, and it's still a FM song, regardless of who it was written by.

I enjoy Blue Letter regardless of the fact that it wasn't written by anyone in FM.

Quote:
i would also not put all rocking / electric songs in the same bucket: while it would be hard to argue that GYOW doesn't miss the band when performed with just a backing track, i suggest it's equally hard to argue against Come versions from OMS tour, which done completely solo with that minimal backing track, were some of the best versions of Come he ever performed.
Well, like you said... to each their own. I didn't enjoy any of those versions as much as I have enjoyed past versions with a full backing band, which is why I lumped them together. Lindsey played them amazingly - it had nothing to do with him - they just all sound better to me with a more fleshed out arrangement. There are things about the songs OTHER than Lindsey's playing that I enjoy a lot - the drums on Come, for instance - that I really missed when they were done with just the click/bass/whatever else. I felt it took away from the songs. Not to say I didn't enjoy it at all, because I did.. just not as much.

Last edited by WildHearted; 02-05-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
First, I don't think there is any drum in the backing track. I think there is a click track and maybe bass guitar? But I don't hear any drums.
I'm not sure what differentiates a "click track" from a drum machine-type backing track - that's my unfamiliarity with the proper terminology showing.

I can see why you would like it better without the drums or other instrumentation if you consider those a distraction from Lindsey. I feel the other instruments enhance rather than detract from the song but it's all a matter of opinion.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure what differentiates a "click track" from a drum machine-type backing track - that's my unfamiliarity with the proper terminology showing.

I can see why you would like it better without the drums or other instrumentation if you consider those a distraction from Lindsey. I feel the other instruments enhance rather than detract from the song but it's all a matter of opinion.
I'm not completely sure about that either, but I think a click track is used in recording just to keep everyone on beat, I don't think it's necessarily part of the drum machine. I may be wrong though.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not completely sure about that either, but I think a click track is used in recording just to keep everyone on beat, I don't think it's necessarily part of the drum machine. I may be wrong though.
yeah it's also called metronome. has nothing to do with drums.