The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny thing is that Landslide has been out of the setlist before. Although, maybe it is impossible now after the Dixie Chicks and the Clydesdale.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yup if we are talking solo. and Lindsey NEVER plays Holiday Road on his solo tours anymore, and it's his most downloaded and most known solo song. you always see people going to see LB solo and expecting that song. no tomatoes there either.

i don't think that anybody could casually walk into a FM show and not expect Landslide though.

i do agree that it's hard for the ultrafans to get some distance from all we know... i often use as example my kids, but realistically by now, my son has been to 2 LB solo shows and he does recognize most of the songs he heard there.
Well, I actually haven't been a fan for that long, only a few years really. And also I have 0 real life friends who are fans of the band. It's easy for me to dissociate. I definitely was familiar with quite a few of their songs even though I didn't know who they were by and didn't actively listen to them or anything.

But for an example, I played Rumours and Fleetwood Mac in their entirety in the living room @ my house last semester, and my roommate was sitting in there doing homework and literally every other song she would recognize, start humming along, and say, "Wait, I didn't know they sang that." And this was coming from Katy Perry's #1 fan, if that tells you anything.

On the other side of the spectrum, my mother isn't a big music person at all (music "makes her nervous"), but she was a late-teenager at the height of FM's popularity, and she literally knows the words to every FM song that has ever gotten an ounce of radio play. Hold Me, Gypsy, Sara, Don't Stop, GYOW, SHN, GDW, The Chain, Rhiannon, Over My Head, Monday Morning, Say You Love Me, Landslide, anything you can think of. Although she constantly insists that it was another band who sang it (She was also convinced that Linda Ronstadt sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around... )

I think they have plenty of songs that are ingrained in the subconscious of the general public. I do not think they have to play every single one of those songs, though. Logically, I would say the only things they need to play are the hit singles. But I know I would be sad if they took Gold Dust Woman or I'm So Afraid out of the set so I see where this becomes a dillemna. It's almost a hindrance that they have so many songs that people might expect to hear - then it becomes an issue of who to disappoint.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sisters of the moon, trouble, That's alright, Beautiful child....
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
She was also convinced that Linda Ronstadt sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around... )

I think they have plenty of songs that are ingrained in the subconscious of the general public. I do not think they have to play every single one of those songs, though. Logically, I would say the only things they need to play are the hit singles. But I know I would be sad if they took Gold Dust Woman or I'm So Afraid out of the set so I see where this becomes a dillemna. It's almost a hindrance that they have so many songs that people might expect to hear - then it becomes an issue of who to disappoint.
that's exactly my point - so does Bruce, so does Dylan, so do Stones... and they either play longer shows to cover a lot of them (like Bruce and Stones) or they keep changing the set, or they don't cover them. of course Dylan is not selling on his own arenas FM are, or for that high of a price.

lol re Stop Dragging My Heart - i did know that song forever, but i always thought it was a Tom Petty song only... never realized there was a woman singing it with him, or i guess i thought it was just some complete unknown.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish there was some way we could do a study and put a dollar sign on how many more tickets they could sale if they just changed up the setlist.

We have a lot of people who say they aren't going to see the show because it's the same old, same old. I don't really pay attention to them, because I partially think they wouldn't see it anyway, no matter what happened. They just like to pretend that they would change their minds and go, if martians visited or something.

Still, if the setlist changed how many people would go out of their way to see more than one show, in the hopes of being there on the night that something special happened?

I know in 2006 I saw as many shows as I could, but for the LB shows I could not attend, I'd be online every night of Lindsey's tour to see what people were going to say the encore was that night. I'd be sitting there just waiting for a post. One night they said Bwana and I just could not believe it. The occasional change ups made following along during the tour really exciting and created a lot of fan buzz and I think if FM did it that more focused fans would go out of their way to see more than one show.

Of course, they'd have to surprise us with songs that we like. No one wants to hear, "Get ready folks: tonight, we're going to play Sugar Daddy!"

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I know in 2006 I saw as many shows as I could, but for the LB shows I could not attend, I'd be online every night of Lindsey's tour to see what people were going to say the encore was that night. I'd be sitting there just waiting for a post. One night they said Bwana and I just could not believe it. The occasional change ups made following along during the tour really exciting and created a lot of fan buzz and I think if FM did it that more focused fans would go out of their way to see more than one show.
nice!

while for OMS tour if you went to several shows you had to try to be either loud or come up with various other ways to get him to add encores and it worked just occasionally (how many Rock Away Blinds did we have? i can count 6? and just 1 and 1/4 of Rodeo, and a verse of Walk a Thin Line). although it was extremely satisfying experience when it did work.

oh, and you all at first 2 shows got to hear a completely new and unexplained song.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
oh, and you all at first 2 shows got to hear a completely new and unexplained song.
Just when I'd forgotten about that...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorcerer View Post
The only song I wish they would drop is Stand Back. I agree with a comment made a few weeks back about it sounding almost like a wall of sound. She shouts rather than sings and the words come out so fast that it's almost like she wants to get it over and done with. I have to admit that I just cringe during most of the performances because it sounds downright awful more times than not. I understand the song gets the energy going but if they insist on performing a solo song then do Rooms on Fire or Stop Dragging My Heart Around with Lindsey.

So yeah, Stand Back is going to signal a toilet break for me if they do it again this year.

Don't Stop is another track I wouldn't miss but that will never go. I've also never cared for Never Going Back Again.
Well that's a novel idea- don't know why they haven't done that before. That would actually be really sweet! I would also like to see ANGEL and some more SYW songs such as Thrown Down and Running Through the Garden.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I actually haven't been a fan for that long, only a few years really. And also I have 0 real life friends who are fans of the band. It's easy for me to dissociate. I definitely was familiar with quite a few of their songs even though I didn't know who they were by and didn't actively listen to them or anything.

But for an example, I played Rumours and Fleetwood Mac in their entirety in the living room @ my house last semester, and my roommate was sitting in there doing homework and literally every other song she would recognize, start humming along, and say, "Wait, I didn't know they sang that." And this was coming from Katy Perry's #1 fan, if that tells you anything.

On the other side of the spectrum, my mother isn't a big music person at all (music "makes her nervous"), but she was a late-teenager at the height of FM's popularity, and she literally knows the words to every FM song that has ever gotten an ounce of radio play. Hold Me, Gypsy, Sara, Don't Stop, GYOW, SHN, GDW, The Chain, Rhiannon, Over My Head, Monday Morning, Say You Love Me, Landslide, anything you can think of. Although she constantly insists that it was another band who sang it (She was also convinced that Linda Ronstadt sang Stop Draggin' My Heart Around... )

Haha, your mom sounds hilarious! And I kind of wish Ronstadt had covered SDMHA...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

I would say drop Stand Back or Don't Stop; mostly because I feel like they need Christine there to sing it, and Stand Back I've never really cared for. Fleetwood Mac has so much in their back catalogue that they can do without any solo material (with the exception of maybe something special from IYD ) and I do like that they include Go Insane actually, it's one of my favorite Lindsey songs. So maybe I'm Stevie-biased.

"We looked out the window as we watched the cars fly by...
I looked at you and I start to cry
What you did was, you saved my life
...I won't forget it."
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Stevie really doesn't HAVE to play Stand Back. She has plenty of Fleetwood Mac "hits"... it's entirely unnecessary. ).
I don't know if they play Stand Back because is just Stevie who asks for it, or it's Mick and/or other members. It started in the Tango tour when Lindsey was not there. But then it was included even in the 1997 Reunion tour, with Go Insane too.

What's the story behind the solo songs in the past FM tours? Has anyone read more about it?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I don't know if they play Stand Back because is just Stevie who asks for it, or it's Mick and/or other members. It started in the Tango tour when Lindsey was not there. But then it was included even in the 1997 Reunion tour, with Go Insane too.

What's the story behind the solo songs in the past FM tours? Has anyone read more about it?
No, but in 1987 when they said they were going to do solo songs and Stevie said that Stand Back would be hers, the plan was also for Christine to do one as well. Christine thought she would do So Excited, because of Billy.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No, but in 1987 when they said they were going to do solo songs and Stevie said that Stand Back would be hers, the plan was also for Christine to do one as well. Christine thought she would do So Excited, because of Billy.

Michele
I remember a story about Mick being really impressed with the energy and feedback generated by Stand Back when he tagged along on part of the RAL tour, and that's why he wanted Fleetwood Mac to do it on their tour the following year.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although I love the song Dreams, when it is performed live I basicly tune it out. It has become monotone to me. Why does it always have to be done in the beginning of the show? I would really appreciate it if they would do this near the end of the set or as an encore. Then it would sound surprisingly fresh to me again. The same goes with all their tired hits. If performed in a different part of the set than the way they have always been done, the whole thing would be most refreshing to my ears. I detest predictability.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Although I love the song Dreams, when it is performed live I basicly tune it out. It has become monotone to me. Why does it always have to be done in the beginning of the show? I would really appreciate it if they would do this near the end of the set or as an encore. Then it would sound surprisingly fresh to me again. The same goes with all their tired hits. If performed in a different part of the set than the way they have always been done, the whole thing would be most refreshing to my ears. I detest predictability.
I'd like to see The Chain close the show. What a great way to end the night - "Chain, keep us together."