The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours...... it had to be in '78 or '79..... then the white album and then Tusk etc etc etc.!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Got Tusk first. Then went back and purchased used versions of Rumours and the White album. Had not been aware that the people who did the songs I'd heard on the radio: SYLM, Over My Head, Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way, Landslide, Dreams, etc. were the same people who did that Drowning in the Sea of Love song.

Michele
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Mine was Rumours last year. My dad wanted me to show him how to copy songs from a CD to a computer and put Rumours in the player. It changed my life. It was the only thing I listened to for weeks. And it's still my favourite FM album (and probably ever will be, I don't like changes).
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My sister bought Rumours when it came out. I listened to it hundreds of times before the end of that year.

But the first one I bought was Mirage, when I was twelve.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My dad bought Say You Will while we were on vacation in 2003. I kind of acquired it as my own, because I instantly fell in love with it.

And there the magic started!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My parents had the Tango tape in the car at all times because I always wanted to hear Everywhere and Seven Wonders (over and over and over and over and over! ha!) I was about 2-3 years old.

Then, about a decade later, The Dance came out and thats when I started getting serious and bought all of the Rumours lineup albums.

(I still have that tape though! I could never get rid of it...)
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

let's see. i distinctively remember going to the record store and spending 30 minutes deciding which one to get. technically, i bought the dance first (or my friend did for my birthday), but as far as a studio album, i bought rumours. not because i knew of its magnitude, or because of the declining relationships rumours was about, but because i recognized more songs on it i knew NOTHING about fleetwood mac at the time. i just knew i was going to eventually own all the albums they ever released. so the second was probably the white album, then mirage, i believe. tusk, then tango. i think i bought tango used, and it hurt me because it was one of those albums i really didn't want, but was only buying to complete my collection. i never bought a new copy and i think a few songs skip and of course i bought SYW on release date.

(i'd like to add that i went on to buy mystery to me, heroes are hard to find, bare trees, and behind the mask but this is the rumours forum and i really don't know which order these came in other that M2M first)

Last edited by michelle2677; 10-07-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first album related album that I bought was Greatest Hits (and SN's Timespace) about 15 years ago. I liked it so I sent off (out of a catalogue - remember those!) for the white album, Rumours, Behind the Mask (and possibly Mirage - can't quite remember whether that came a bit later) all at once.

I really liked the BTM album, still one of my favourites to this day, and still my favourite lineup of FM. Of course back when I bought those Time was released a short time later, so I was very excited to have a new FM album, think I bought it as soon as it came out.

For those who never make it to the post-rumours forum I'm currentry trying to defend Time's honour against the hordes of FM fans who don't like it (if you like it I could use some help!)
Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SYW

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

I think it was my 9th Birthday.....My grandma bought me my first Stevie album WH in summer of 83...so my mom decided to buy me Rumours and Mirage I think both for my Bday as well! I remember being in the living room and being so excited and playing the songs and loving every bit of Rumours! Loved all the pics...I remember playing them throughout the summer and using my mother's carpet sweeper handle as my microphone!!!!!!...It was perfect height and I could bend it up and down just like Stevie's mike!!! Lol!!OMG!!! I was eternally obsessed!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart69 View Post
My parents had the Tango tape in the car at all times because I always wanted to hear Everywhere and Seven Wonders (over and over and over and over and over! ha!) I was about 2-3 years old.

Then, about a decade later, The Dance came out and thats when I started getting serious and bought all of the Rumours lineup albums.

(I still have that tape though! I could never get rid of it...)
Everyone's stories are so sweet! And this one is reallllllllly sweet!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On one of my first CDs ever, Roy Orbison's "Mystery Girl" album, there was a good song by a guy named Billy Burnette, which I liked a lot. So I tried to find out if he had recorded some music by himself.
Today, you just type a string into a search engine, but that wasn't possible for a 12 year old in rural Germany in the early 90s. I guess I only could type by 14, but what I did find out with the help of other measures like press and a collector's price catalogue for used LPs, was that Billy Burnette played in Fleetwood Mac.
I didn't want old stuff of any band then, but I guess that's how kids are, so I looked around in record stores for the newest available Fleetwood Mac product.
I knew I would eventually find a recent album of the band, but here was something that was even fresher off the record plant: a solo album from a fellow Fleetwood Mac member: Lindsey Buckingham's "Out Of the Cradle".
And when I first listened to it, I knew immediately that it is a good album and that these Fleetwood Mac guys and gals are mightily talented. "Don't Look Down", "Soul Drifter" and "Turn It On" were instant favourites.
So I kept my eyes open and the next thing that appeared in a mailorder catalogue was "Coming Home" by Billy Burnette. I got this one then and I guess that's when my love for country music broke out. It's such a strong set of songs. All it is missing is "Nothin To Do (And All Night To Do It)".
Another while later, lucky me found a cut-out CD of "Behind the Mask", the album I had been searching for.
And only then did I get to know the ladies.
My favourites from the album are "When the Sun Goes Down" (for obvious reasons), "Do You Know" (a song I actually was in love to), "In the Back Of My Mind" and "Affairs Of the Heart".
I would have been the right target audience for "The Chain" Boxed Set, but that one didn't quite fit my budget, so I had to skip that and only got the singles much later.
The next FM related release that I got was Stevie's "Street Angel", because I thought she didn't get to sing enough songs on "Behind the Mask".
"Gretta" is awesome.
Somewhat surprisingly, I went to the record store one day and there they had a pile of "Time" CDs, and a small info sheet announcing it as the new Fleetwood Mac. I found there was Billy on it and I was happy. The disappearance of Rick Vito and Stevie Nicks did surprise me, though. I got it anway, but I have to admit that it took me a while to get into Bekka's songs, even though I had known her from her duet on Joe Cocker's album the year before, which I liked. But I didn't associate her with Fleetwook Mac then.
Dave Mason's songs are the least played from "Time" in my household.

So that's a short journey of how I discovered the Mac. I must say that I mostly prefer the solo / late era Mac over the classic rock era Mac.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My brother brought home Rumours one day. I remember my mom trying to figure out who Lindsey was and who Stevie was...it was quite comical because she thought Lindsey was a woman and Stevie was a man! I must say at 11 years I had very little interest in the album. Little did I know what was coming...

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Ledgie

I was 15 when The Dance came out so that definitely was my first album. I remember I recorded the concert on VHS the first night it was on. I don't even know what made me do that, as all I knew of them was that Billy Corgan and Courtney Love covered their songs, but I was hooked upon first viewing. I played that vhs all summer long! My 3 yr old niece used to watch "The Chain" with me and dance around in her little tutu and scarf. That was the only song she would watch, though. heh. After that I got Rumours and I don't think I picked up another Fleetwood Mac album until Say You Will which I totally love.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Fleetwood Mac" or the "White album" 30 some years ago.