The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Junior Ledgie

I agree with Miss Vicky, I'm so sick of Rumours. The only songs I can tolerate are Second Hand News, Never Going Back Again, and I Don't Want to Know.

Everything else is so overplayed...there's only so many times you can hear "Don't Stop" or "Dreams" without going completely insane.

Other songs...
-I'm So Afraid
-Landslide
-Rhiannon (unless it's live before 1981)

and lastly...I know it's not a FM song, but Edge of Seventeen...seriously, ENOUGH ALREADY!
Just to keep herself from falling apart

Fate takes time
Old 05-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
All live versions of "Big Love."
Agreed! This was once a major highlight, a totally new and kickass twist on an old song which proved that Lindsey was capable of completely revamping his work in a way that kept it exciting and fresh.

And then he played it every night yet again on the SYW tour... and put it on the Live in Boston CD... and put it on the Soundstage DVD... Enough already!

I'll also throw in a vote for all live versions of "Go Your Own Way." This song is never going to sound like it does on Rumours, and the harder Lindsey tries, the clunkier performances of this song get. This song is actually begging for some type of "Big Love"-esque re-arrangement. And once again, it was totally unnecessary to include it on Soundstage, and on the Live in Boston CD.

Actually, there might have to be a whole thread about just how much the Live in Boston CD sucks balls. What a worthless piece of ****.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The strange thing is that I never get sick of 'Rumours.' I guess when I listen to it, I can get past the thousands of times the songs have been played on the radio or in concert, and appreciate the music on its own merit.
So when I hear "Dreams" or "Don't Stop" or "Go Your Own Way," I still feel the way I did the very first time I heard them. They remain fresh for me and I'm always impressed by how expertly crafted that album is.

No, it shouldn't be considered the be-all and end-all of Fleetwood Mac's recorded output, but it certainly earns its rightful place as one of the benchmarks in their career.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
The strange thing is that I never get sick of 'Rumours.' I guess when I listen to it, I can get past the thousands of times the songs have been played on the radio or in concert, and appreciate the music on its own merit.
So when I hear "Dreams" or "Don't Stop" or "Go Your Own Way," I still feel the way I did the very first time I heard them. They remain fresh for me and I'm always impressed by how expertly crafted that album is.

Hear, hear! If anyone asked me, I wouldn't say I loved Rumours more than any other album ever on the face of this earth, but I realised that it's about the only one that I don't skip _something_ on time on and time off.

I always skip, to pick just one, When I See You Again. It always seems to go on for too long. That's not because I hear it on the radio too much, because I don't listen to the radio, so I never hear Fleetwood Mac on it!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely. The craftsmanship continues to please. I'm sick of hearing Rumours too, but one has to separate one's fatigue with these ubiquitous songs from one's reasoned appraisal of their strengths, & their strengths are all very real. You know, the Hollywood Bowl concerts feature the Ninth Symphony every summer, too, but that doesn't reflect directly on the composition, it reflects on the programmers. If anything, constantly played music like the Ninth or like Rumours can be even more highly regarded because, if they were lesser artistic creations, their overplay would have utterly killed most of us a long time ago.
Quote:
No, it shouldn't be considered the be-all and end-all of Fleetwood Mac's recorded output, but it certainly earns its rightful place as one of the benchmarks in their career.
I think it's still the best-engineered of all Fleetwood mac albums. The only thing I feel misses the mark is the concert hall reverb on Songbird, but they apparently deliberately did that & wanted that. Everything else on Rumours, in terms of technology & craftsmanship, is so far ahead of other pop music of the era that it's almost like a joke with a weird punchline.

There's some Earth Wind & Fire material from that era which also makes a major craftsmanship statement, but so little else at that level.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going with "Don't Stop." I almost always skip it. For some reason, it is soooo played out in my mind.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Actually, there might have to be a whole thread about just how much the Live in Boston CD sucks balls. What a worthless piece of ****.
Truer words have never been spoken. I bought it the day it came out, and I have yet to watch it three times. It's craptacular! The background singers......the orchestra......the lead vocals with the 4 note range.......the song selections........
I want a refund! Maybe it'll be out of print someday , and some fool will pay me for it.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a doubt, Don't Stop.
It is WAY over played, and it never was a favorite in the first place. Yeah I know Dreams is played too much too, but for some reason I never get tired of it. Probably because I'm more of a Stevie fan than a Christine.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Rumours That's right, the whole damn thing.
Well, I still can bear "Go Your Own Way" & "You Make Loving Fun" (I just found out, since I actually listened to the whole friggin' album last week for the first time in about 4 years).
Old 05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

I don't care if I never hear Don't Stop or Go Your Own Way again for the rest of my life. So there.

And I'd personally pay every DJ in Connecticut five cents ever time they played Kind of Woman instead of Leather and Lace. They played that damn thing so many times last October you'd think Stevie died, and that was the only song she'd ever written.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Perhaps I shouldn't be participating in this thread, because every time somebody posts negative comments about something I like I just seem to like it more.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I actually listened to the whole friggin' album last week for the first time in about 4 years.

I don't know what to say to this.

Then again, I actually listened to all of Stevie's Timespace the other night, and we all know how much I LOVE her.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelick Witch
I always skip, to pick just one, When I See You Again. It always seems to go on for too long.
I'm always holding out for Lindsey's part at the end because it's the moment that saves the song from being crap and has the power to make me depressed and emotional.

Go figure.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always skip Don't stop and it's not that I got tired of it - I never ever like it, not even a little bit.
And I usually skip most Christine's songs, but (I 'll probably be flamed for this) I am not a fan of hers at all (with the exception of a few songs I like, esp.You make loving fun)

As to Dreams, I probably never skipped it once in my life. And with Sara, I might press the repeat button when it's over.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always skip Don't stop and it's not that I got tired of it - I never ever like it, not even a little bit.
And I usually skip most Christine's songs, but (I 'll probably be flamed for this) I am not a fan of hers at all (with the exception of a few songs I like, esp.You make loving fun)

As to Dreams, I probably never skipped it once in my life. And with Sara, I might press the repeat button when it's over.