User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think a lot of CM's demeanor is she is self-professed to eschew the limelight and identifies more with John and Mick in the rythm section. That being said, I thought she, for being behind the keyboard for 98% of it, looked inspired. She was smiling a bunch and I LOVE that one where she is rocking back and forth while jamming. I also thought the DS performace was magnificent.

Interestingly, I also think it is her British nature
It's definitely Christine's cool, English reserve. I think she brought a touch of elegance & some much needed class to the whole thing. You can't compare her Dance demeanor to the Mirage video. She was 15 years younger then & not in the best shape physically back in 1982. I thought she looked & sounded fantastic in 1997! They all looked pretty darned good considering their ages & not having done anything together in such a long time.

My highlights:

1. You Make Loving Fun-the best live version I think I've ever heard of the song(I love the look that Mick gave Chris right after they finished.)

2. Songbird

3. Silver Springs-terrific live version, although not as good as the original studio version 20 years earlier

4. Don't Stop & Tusk-I love the USC marching band on these 2 songs

5. I think Bleed To Love Her & Temporary One were the best of the new songs.

Last edited by macfan 57; 05-12-2006 at 06:22 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I remember repeating and repeating and repeating the end of Silver Springs.
I do this ALL the time with both "Silver Springs" and "Gold Dust Woman". It drives Geoffrey freeeeking nuts. I've always wondered to myself, "Am I the only person who does the rewind-30 seconds-over-and-over thing"? It's good to know that I'm not the only Freek out there. It's totally like a drug- like those lab rat experiments where they set up the heroin drip and watch the rat hit it over and over and over and over and over.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Ummmm...there were four:
For some reason, my brain always forgets that "Bleed to Love Her" was new at that point. It would have fit perfectly on the Rumours album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I got chills just reading this. Haven't watched The Dance in a while....gonna do it today.
My favorite part is the Lindsey vocal all the end/vamp. I just want it to go on forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
The GDW HOOOOMMEEEE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHWWHSHFHHFIIFIOAhhhhhhh - then the sort of collapse afterward was one of the highlights of all my years (since like 75) of FM and Stevie. She owned that stage at that point.
I always try to freeze frame at that exact point where her eyes snap/flash open at the end of that moment and I can never get it quite right. The look on her face was almost as if she didn't believe what she had just sung.

Another cool part of that performance is right after that point when Mick and John are so grooving on that vamp and just before Stevie walks up to the mic to sing, she turns to the left and seems to be pointing at Sharona like, "this is it".

Stevie is so cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
It was 1997. Almost NINE years. A very special year to me, btw.
Okay all you nitpickers. Wasn't the concert recorded in 04/97?? That would make it now nine years old and it will ten years next year. That's why I said almost ten years- not at ten years.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved Chris on GYOW. During Lindsey's solo toward the end she was totally rocking out on the keyboard and the look on her face was like, "yeah, we are BAD ASS aren't we?" Everyone was just kind of locked in the groove, they were all on the same page and it was magnificent.

I'm also a fan of Temporary One. I'm really surprised that more people don't like this song. It's a rollicking, fun song and I welcome anything uptempo from Chris. It seems like she likes to stay in the slow to mid-tempo range quite a lot of the time so when she wants to rock out I welcome it.

Edit: Oh and Tower, another great moment from Gold Dust Woman, for me, is when Stevie shouts "Oooooh pale, SHADOOOOOOOOW SHE'S A DRAGON!" at the end of the song. It's one of my favorite all-time vocal moments from any live or studio Stevie performance. Her vocal is so powerful and strong throughout the whole song, it's like she's a damn fortress or something, just f*cking rock solid!

Last edited by cliffdweller; 05-12-2006 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

^^^

Get out of my head!! I was exactly thinking last night "Plus, Chris's songs don't usually rock out as much, and I like to get ones that do!"

Get out of my head with "She's a DRAGON!" too....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
^^^

Get out of my head!! I was exactly thinking last night "Plus, Chris's songs don't usually rock out as much, and I like to get ones that do!"

Get out of my head with "She's a DRAGON!" too....
Ah yes, all the beautiful Dance moments. When I start to think about one, about 10 more pop into my head. It's like a "chain" reaction. I was thinking about SS and then I read a post about Temporary One and then I started to think about Chris, and then Stevie popped back into my head and then I read Tower's Gold Dust Woman post and then I started thinking about Stevie's fabulousness on that song and then Lindsey popped up . It's like a flood of jumbled up performance memories but incredibly enough, I can still pick out perfect isolated instances within those performances. It's kinda like a dream. I love The Dance.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Edit: Oh and Tower, another great moment from Gold Dust Woman, for me, is when Stevie shouts "Oooooh pale, SHADOOOOOOOOW SHE'S A DRAGON!" at the end of the song. It's one of my favorite all-time vocal moments from any live or studio Stevie performance. Her vocal is so powerful and strong throughout the whole song, it's like she's a damn fortress or something, just f*cking rock solid!
have you heard the stripped version of this where it's just the vocal? it is amazing.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
have you heard the stripped version of this where it's just the vocal? it is amazing.
Hello, Jizzy!!!!! Post it plz.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower

Okay all you nitpickers. Wasn't the concert recorded in 04/97?? That would make it now nine years old and it will ten years next year. That's why I said almost ten years- not at ten years.
Nope, it was recorded on May 22 and 23rd 1997, so it's not quite 9 years yet. It's almost 9 years.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721
i usually skip MLD, though.
Except for those times when you shamelessly rock out to it in the car.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Except for those times when you shamelessly rock out to it in the car.
shut up shut up shut up! nobody knows about that ...
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721
shut up shut up shut up! nobody knows about that ...
I even emailed Stevie and told her about it. She LOLed and forwarded it to Lindsey, who probably sent it to John...
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
I even emailed Stevie and told her about it. She LOLed and forwarded it to Lindsey, who probably sent it to John...
yeah well ... i'm telling cyndi you, uh ... i'm too sleepy to be funny right now :P
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it makes anyone feel better (probably not), I was 9 (I'm 18 now...I guess y'all can count) when The Dance came out. Of course, I had no idea who the band was at the time and didn't for a while. I do remember our local news morning show giving away a copy.

I first experienced The Dance soon after joining this board at the beginning of my journey to becoming the Fleetwood Mac nerd that I am today. The first time I watched it, I was completely blown away. Of course, it was my first experience with any kind of FM live material. I stayed up late watching the whole thing.

The next day when I wanted to watch it again, my DVD player died. I had to go like a week wanting desperately to watch it again.

Anyways...highlights for me.

The Chain: There's just something magical about them singing that song after all that time. In the end, the chain kept them together. The solo with the sweeping camera and Stevie going crazy on her tamborine gets to me every time.
Everywhere: It's a nice clean version free of the TITN '87 sound (not that there's anything wrong with that). The harmonies and the guitar work are great.
I'm So Afraid: As a new fan, I was ready to **** myself.
Bleed To Love Her: Beautiful. I prefer this version to the SYW one. It seems to have more passion...probably because it's live.
Gypsy: No one has really mentioned this song in the thread, but I really like this version. Probably it has more personal meaning for me. It was the first time I had really listened to the song and understood it. It just hit me like a speeding train and I wanted to cry. I was going through some ****.
Big Love/Go Insane: Again, as a new fan...****ting myself.
Landslide: The "kiss"(????)
Say You Love Me: I love the howdown style. I was basically inspired to learn bass because of John's part. One day I will learn the banjo because of Lindsey's part.
You Make Loving Fun: Very nice. The end with the harmonic guitar is the best part. I wish Lindsey could have played it and managed to sing his vocal from Rumours, but I'd certainly understand how that could be difficult.
Silver Springs: I had heard the audio and was drooling to SEE the performance. I was not disapointed. I still love the passion in the song.
Rhiannon: LOVE the beginning. "Don't leave me..."

That became a very long post. I'm bored. I might watch The Dance now...although I kinda want to watch LIB.

Anyways, the whole thing is freakin' awesome!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:03 AM

ahhh yes the dance... i remember how excited i was that these guys got back together... the rumour back then was an unplugged set... which turned out to be false..

my highlights are

the piano intro to rhiannon w/ stevie on lead vocal
songbird (stunning)
when some guy shakes the conductors hand after dont' stop
i'm so afraid intro and guitar solo
my fav new song was sweet girl

i didn't get that christine mcvie was bored or not happy... she's just has that musician face versus the entertainer face.... steve winwood has the same faces up on stage... they're focused...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
when some guy shakes the conductors hand after dont' stop
I always think that guy is the biggest nerd ever. And...he's wearing suspenders.

That said...I probably would have done the same thing.