Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Almost ten years since The Dance.....

And I just watched it tonight and I'm all verklempt.

People don't realize just how long ten years really is. I look back on these performances that comprised the concert and I realize how Stevie was really at the top of her game. Christine really, really looks bored. Lindsey seems upbeat- however, his presence was much more aged than the five years that had elapsed between this performance and his look/feel/voice from Out of the Cradle.

The Highlights for Me:

"Gold Dust Woman"- the "And go hoooommmmee" is the best ever in my opinion. If she sang like that today, I'd plotz.

"Silver Springs"- it was all great- beyond description. The ending still draws tears to my eyes. The fact that Stevie truly pulled off this vocal is just amazing.

"Big Love"- who knew something from that dated album would survive to be this great? Lindsey is such a fukcing talent it is beyond belief.

"Landslide"- "This is for you, Daddy...." Jeezus, woman. That whole deal just kills me. When she lifts her chiffon covered hands to her face after the kiss at the end, I thought I would die. I remember the very first time I saw this and I was absolutely bawling.

"Bleed to Love Her"- holyyyyyyyy macaroni!! Such a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, fukcing fantastic song! Beauty personified.

Sadly, Christine's ennui throughout this entire deal was just a big ole bucket of ice water on me. Believe, I love the woman, but you could really tell her heart wasn't in it. Too bad. I mean, compare her botox-no-emotion face to her "YEAH" face from "Sisters of the Moon" from the Mirage video.

I liked all three of the "new" songs. Even "My Little Demon"- kinda.

It seems really strange to me that this was almost ten years ago.

I feel old.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Concur on all songs.
It really seems like it just happened.
I'd also like to add Rhiannon, it was basically the first time I'd ever heard the big ol' "dreams unwind" ending, and I got (and get) chills on that song. It's very sexy. I was mesmerized.

I really like Temporary One as well. A great new offering from Chris, IMO. It's just pretty and full and it rollicks along. I can't help but sing, and I can't help but be happier after it plays. I also find all the very even rhythms and harmonies together intriguing. When you look, there's so much more than you first thought there was.

Yeah, I like it all. I could say something lovely about every song.
I remember repeating and repeating and repeating the end of Silver Springs. I swear I didn't listen to another album for two years. I was ecstatic.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 05-12-2006 at 12:49 AM..
Old 05-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to watch it again soon, as it is still my favorite rock-dvd. Time flies...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I liked all three of the "new" songs. Even "My Little Demon"- kinda.
Ummmm...there were four:

Temporary One
Bleed To Love Her
My Little Demon
Sweet Girl
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Sesly, Tower...

Quote:
And "Bleed to Love Her"- holyyyyyyyy macaroni!! Such a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, fukcing fantastic song! Beauty personified.
I got chills just reading this. Haven't watched The Dance in a while....gonna do it today.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It hasn't even been 9 years yet! Not to nitpick, but when you get to a certain age, you don't want to add years before their time. It was an excellent time for Fleetwood Mac though. So much excitement. I remember Stevie did a few special concerts the year before. I saw her at the benefit concert in Ohio. I remember thinking how great she sounded and looked compared to the last time I had seen her, and wondered if all special concerts she was doing were, in a way, to warm up for a Fleetwood Mac reunion. Turned out it probably was!
It was especially exciting for me because it was the first time I got to see Lindsey perform live as part of FM. My first concert was during Tango in '87.
Seeing the show in Atlantic City where Lindsey had to finish "Silver Springs" for Stevie was pretty cool too!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The GDW HOOOOMMEEEE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHWWHSHFHHFIIFIOAhhhhhhh - then the sort of collapse afterward was one of the highlights of all my years (since like 75) of FM and Stevie. She owned that stage at that point.

SS - I sobbed at the end. I was terrified for her at the beginning because I was scared she could not pull the vocal off, esp. when CM started that high. What a fukcing woman is all I can say. To this day it gives me chills.

I think the coolest group song was My Little Demon - they looked like they were having so much fun - though the song is just OK IMO.

My have CM song was Over My Head - she was just sublime in that for me.

That concert in Atlanta and that time was just such a happy period.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

People don't realize just how long ten years really is.

"Bleed to Love Her"- holyyyyyyyy macaroni!! Such a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, fukcing fantastic song! Beauty personified.

It seems really strange to me that this was almost ten years ago.

I feel old.
I know. Why is it that the passage of time makes us feel sad?
These last ten years have just flown by. "I've run through rainbows and castles of candy..."

When The Dance came out, I grooved on Bleed To Love Her for a good long time. It's a great song. I love it.
The Dance really was a high point in Stevie's career. That mystical, magical thing that makes us all love Fleetwood Mac was there in spades.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
. . . The Dance really was a high point in Stevie's career. That mystical, magical thing that makes us all love Fleetwood Mac was there in spades.
I have to agree. She was in many ways the dark horse of that set. Her problems had been the most public. Moreover, as the "star" of FM (at least poplularity wise - and no slam on LB or CM ) - she had fallen the most. So, when she emerged slim, in splendid voice, and with an aura around her - then she slayed those songs - it was like she's back and most people love a comeback kid.

As she said - it was as magic as you can get on stage! - and it took all five to make it happen

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was 1997. Almost NINE years. A very special year to me, btw.

MY highlights:

S.Springs, oh remember that look between S&L?? Of course later when they repeated the scene during the tour it wasn't big deal, just emotive, but that first one was really thrilling!!

Songbird, Don't Stop and YMLF. Though Chris wasn't that emotional (yes, her heart seemded stayed in England), those performances ruled.

BTLHer. Love the song. As the acoustic version of Big Love was amazing (though after 9 years I miss the original version. Play it live, Lindsey!

I didn't like T.One nor MLDemon.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy ****, nearly ten years ago...And I remember thinking in 1995 that the band would never resurface. Who would've predicted then that we'd get "Say You Will" and "In the Meantime"?

I hear a lot of people say Chris looked bored. Maybe. I read her reserve during the proceedings as nerves. She knew she was being recorded and wanted to make the right moves...her performances later in "The Dance" tour were rather spirited. (Thinking of Buffalo, NY in particular). She seemed to loosen up.

As much as I was happy to get "The Dance" I remember being really annoyed that the recording only featured four new songs. We'd waited over a decade for these five to reunite. How about a whole new set list? And in some cases ("Over My Head," "Go Your Own Way," and "Rhiannon") the new live versions were significantly less exciting than their counterparts in earlier live shows.

That said, I thought the new version of "Silver Springs" was a revelation. "You Make Loving Fun" was outstanding, and Lindsey's "Big Love" redeux quite powerful. The new songs were solid, energetic. Everyone sounded great.

So, for me, The Dance was a mixed bag. But one I wouldn't want to be without.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
I didn't like T.One nor MLDemon.
i agree about TO and MLD. the chorus to TO just seemed as if chris took as many water-related metaphors she could think of and threw them together:

the river goes on and on
and the sea that divides us is a
temporary one, and the
bridge will bring us back together.

i like the melody a lot, though, so i still listen to it. i usually skip MLD, though.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721
i agree about TO and MLD. the chorus to TO just seemed as if chris took as many water-related metaphors she could think of and threw them together:

the river goes on and on
and the sea that divides us is a
temporary one, and the
bridge will bring us back together.

i like the melody a lot, though, so i still listen to it. i usually skip MLD, though.
Yeah, good thing Stevie never does that.

I think the chorus is simple and pretty. Reminds me a lot of Chris. Plus, I love rivers.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 05-12-2006 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
there's nothing I can add to your post...you're dead on. The Dance was the first time I had ever seen Stevie/FM and the first time I had ever heard them (that I know of) and it was magic through the television screen. I didn't know this was a comeback for Stevie or anyone so imagine how my jaw hit the floor when I finally heard the Live album and all those 70s boots. sheesh...there's something to be said for the time when you first start collecting this kind of music. if I could, I'd do it all over again

I agree with others that Christine just looked bored. No expressions really. Everyone else seemed energized, excited, but she just looked ehhh. I did love Temporary One, but as is most often the case with me and Christine's songs, they are easily disposable...they don't touch me...great music, but not something I feel.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Yeah, good thing Stevie never does that.

I think the chorus is simple and pretty. Reminds me a lot of Chris. Plus, I love rivers.
yeah, but when stevie does it ... it ... uhhh ...