User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Technically, he's better than Christine, as most session players are at that level. In terms of personal style, though, the guy just sort of disappears into the crowd, whereas Chris is unique.

Personally, I have nothing against Brett. He just sort of symbolizes the band's decision to go bigger & splashier in its live sound. But you can't blame Brett -- or any of the other hired guns -- for that. They're just doing what they're hired to do.
Very interesting point of view. I think even Chris might agree with you, she never really considered herself technically the "best" studio player in the business. But her style is very unique and outstanding...and when it comes to the blues...Chris is the woman!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can understand the Mac having a session player for the studio (and if they went into the studio in '02 for SYW, it's quite possible in terms of timing that they're working on something right now), but the only way I can imagine Brett not being on tour with them is if he's committed to something else. He did say in the Q&A that he's had offers for other projects. Outside of that, it doesn't make sense. If anything it seems to me that he would be their first call for touring since he can cover so much ground musically. Granted, he isn't Chris, but no one is.

I'll be devastated if Brett's gone. I've come within feet of meeting him on these past two tours. Just the thought of him not being there puts a big lump in my throat.

a bell is not a bell until you ring it.
a song is not a song until you sing it.
love wasn't put in your heart to stay.
love isn't love until you give it away.

when life hands you lemons, stick them down your bra and make your boobs bigger
Old 10-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Very interesting point of view. I think even Chris might agree with you, she never really considered herself technically the "best" studio player in the business.
She isn't the best any player in the business, studio or otherwise. Her chops are intermediate-level.
Quote:
But her style is very unique and outstanding...and when it comes to the blues...Chris is the woman!!!
She's a good blues player in an understated sort of way -- the Sonny Thompson tradition of hanging back & blending in to the rhythm, even helping prop it up. But Chris can't do the more spectacular styles of blues piano: Chicago/barrelhouse, Texas, etc. Chris plays a lot like Bob Hall (who played piano for those Tramp albums with Mick Fleetwood). What Chris brings to the table isn't advanced chops or spectacular attack but personal style. Also, like Mick, she plays an excellent shuffle -- which isn't too surprising, considering she's a lefty.

Chris is a lot like the other members of Fleetwood Mac during the late 1970s: each one isn't a spectacular technician as an instrumentalist or a vocalist or even as a lyricist; but when you add up the various idiosyncratic skills in each one, you get genuine accomplishment & weight -- a real personal statement that's often completely missing in the flashier showoffy musicians & composers. Really, in terms of pop tracking, you couldn't have assembled a better group of people than John, Mick, Chris, Lindsey & even Stevie. Considering their particular aesthetic concerns, they were the perfect group of people.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe
I don't think it would be a surprise if they tossed Brett for whatever reason. The guy's awesome, but if you look back at the Today Show performance, a different guy was playing Keys than him. And I know its the same tour group since Waddy, Carlos, and Taku were there.
Brett was there though.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I doubt we will hear much about the Mac's plans until Stevie's gigs in Aussie are over. They do not want people who might fly over to Aussie to see her to stay home because they hear the Mac might have plans for this coming summer.
I find it hard to believe they would be thinking about how many people will be flying over to see her in Australia. I'm sure that number will be pretty small compared to how many Aussies will be going to the shows.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
I find it hard to believe they would be thinking about how many people will be flying over to see her in Australia. I'm sure that number will be pretty small compared to how many Aussies will be going to the shows.
I agree completely. I think there will be far more Australians in attendance at her upcoming shows than there will be people hopping planes to fly 24 hours or more to attend one. Not every fan can afford a trip like that (or would even want to make it to begin with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Why would the Mac be hiring a new keyboardist for a tour in 2007, now? I think we will see them out this summer..2006..irregardless of what Mick has said about the original Mac getting together and all that. (or what Stevie's PR people told a fan in NYC) They could tour both summers, 06 and 07, like they did for SYW ..and play up the anniversary in 07. Sadly, I do not think we will get a new album.
I doubt we will hear much about the Mac's plans until Stevie's gigs in Aussie are over. They do not want people who might fly over to Aussie to see her to stay home because they hear the Mac might have plans for this coming summer.
Why would Fleetwood Mac announcing their plans stop anyone from flying to Australia to see Stevie? If it's something they really want to do and can afford they're going to do it. They can see both if they want to.

If Fleetwood Mac wanted to say anything about future plans the band as a whole might have I believe they would regardless of Stevie's current solo plans. If anything I think they could use her to their advantage. It would be a pretty good way to start building interest in Fleetwood Mac for Stevie to mention upcoming tour plans at her solo shows or interviews promoting the shows.

I don't think they'll be doing anything in 2006. The Say You Will tour went on too long as it was. I think they'll wait until they can really put the merchandising machine into overdrive with the 2007 anniversary before embarking on a tour.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
4ever Stevie
This message has been deleted by 4ever Stevie.