User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
That's sort of what I was thinking. To have one live anthology that includes all eras is not practical. It would be a 20 disc set and cost hundreds of dollars.

All the comments of those who completely misunderstood what I meant are forgiven. If you read my initial post I specifically stated a time line of 1975- present, making the point that this wasn't intended of a comprehensive set of the entire history of Fleetwood Mac. How could I be any clearer?
Didn't misundertand your original intent, it just doesn't make sense in my opinion.

If someone is going to do a live anthology (or an anthology period) of any band, be it FM or any other, it should include all eras of the band, not just one. No real fan of FM (as we all are on this forum) would really accept a strictly B/N era live anthology. The screaming from the fans would echo the world over. Any band or artist anthology covers material from over the entire history of the band, not just one specific era, even if that era has been the most commercially successful era in the band or artists history.

Take Eric Clapton as an example. His boxed set a number of years ago covered all eras of his career, both solo and with other bands. Would fans have really accepted a boxed set that was only of his solo material? Probably, but we would not have been as satisfied. In the country music field, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings box sets have done the same. Music from all eras of their careers, from their early "cookie-cutter" Nashville years, to the "outlaw country" eras and into their later years. These are actual career length anthologies, not just sets of specific eras. This list could go on and on. Point being, if an anthology is to be done, it should be a career long anthology, not just what has been most commercially successful or the most widely popular.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: asshole comments
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: mistake
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Didn't misundertand your original intent, it just doesn't make sense in my opinion.

If someone is going to do a live anthology (or an anthology period) of any band, be it FM or any other, it should include all eras of the band, not just one. No real fan of FM (as we all are on this forum) would really accept a strictly B/N era live anthology. The screaming from the fans would echo the world over. Any band or artist anthology covers material from over the entire history of the band, not just one specific era, even if that era has been the most commercially successful era in the band or artists history.

Take Eric Clapton as an example. His boxed set a number of years ago covered all eras of his career, both solo and with other bands. Would fans have really accepted a boxed set that was only of his solo material? Probably, but we would not have been as satisfied. In the country music field, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings box sets have done the same. Music from all eras of their careers, from their early "cookie-cutter" Nashville years, to the "outlaw country" eras and into their later years. These are actual career length anthologies, not just sets of specific eras. This list could go on and on. Point being, if an anthology is to be done, it should be a career long anthology, not just what has been most commercially successful or the most widely popular.
Given the the distinct, varied periods of the band, we're looking at several hundred song performances, thus, distinct box sets seems appropriate.
A Blues era live anthology is an entity unto itself. In that vein, perhaps a "middle" period anothogy would be very cool too! Not all Fleetwood Mac fans are fans of all eras of the band. Cut me some slack! It's just harmless wishfullness and speculation!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-13-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Given the the distinct, varied periods of the band, we're looking at several hundred song performances, thus, distinct box sets seems appropriate.
A Blues era live anthology is an entity unto itself. In that vein, perhaps a "middle" period anothogy would be very cool too! Not all Fleetwood Mac fans are fans of all eras of the band. Cut me some slack! It's just harmless wishfullness and speculation!

carry on....
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not all Fleetwood Mac fans are fans of all eras of the band. Cut me some slack! It's just harmless wishfullness and speculation!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:

I see where you're coming from and understand your point completely. I know not everyone is a fan of all eras of the band. I really get that. My wife can't stand "Time" while I like a fair chunk of it. She's not a huge fan of the pre-B/N eras either but I think she tolerates it, particularly the PG era stuff. I love it all.

My biggest problem is that I have always been a student of History. That's made me appreciate all eras of the music I listen to. I take it from where I started listening to it and go backwards, then go forward with the band/artist from there. Some stuff I like, some I don't, but I appreciate all of it. (That should not be looked at as an assumption that you don't, just trying to give you a little background on me is all.) As FM is my all-time favourite band, bar-none, my History gene kicks in and I take it all across the spectrum from the "Dog and Dustbin" to "Live in Boston" (Say You Will tour).

Honestly, I love your concept/idea. I think it's brilliant. I just would like to see a compilation of the best live stuff from across the entire history of the band is all. We're on the same page here really in my opinion. We just see it differently is all. I'd probably buy the live anthology in whatever format it was produced too. I may want it one way, but I'll take what I can get!!

Keep the ideas coming! This is an interchange of thoughts, ideas, feelings. This is great stuff! It shows us the plethora of varied opinions that are out there. "Don't Stop"!!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, please don't misunderstand me! That's the problem with typing instead of talking. We can't judge anyone's tone of voice or read a facial expression. I'm not trying to take you to task in any way.

I see where you're coming from and understand your point completely. I know not everyone is a fan of all eras of the band. I really get that. My wife can't stand "Time" while I like a fair chunk of it. She's not a huge fan of the pre-B/N eras either but I think she tolerates it, particularly the PG era stuff. I love it all.

My biggest problem is that I have always been a student of History. That's made me appreciate all eras of the music I listen to. I take it from where I started listening to it and go backwards, then go forward with the band/artist from there. Some stuff I like, some I don't, but I appreciate all of it. (That should not be looked at as an assumption that you don't, just trying to give you a little background on me is all.) As FM is my all-time favourite band, bar-none, my History gene kicks in and I take it all across the spectrum from the "Dog and Dustbin" to "Live in Boston" (Say You Will tour).

Honestly, I love your concept/idea. I think it's brilliant. I just would like to see a compilation of the best live stuff from across the entire history of the band is all. We're on the same page here really in my opinion. We just see it differently is all. I'd probably buy the live anthology in whatever format it was produced too. I may want it one way, but I'll take what I can get!!

Keep the ideas coming! This is an interchange of thoughts, ideas, feelings. This is great stuff! It shows us the plethora of varied opinions that are out there. "Don't Stop"!!!!
Okay! Now my fantasy is to have a massive box set that includes every era of the band -- with the representation of every song that was ever performed on stage! From 1967 to 2010! It will include at least 15 discs and a hard-covered book with the most possible complete documentation with lots of rare performance photos and detailed tour lists.

Graphically and physically, the box will be a stunning work of art. Unfortunately it may cost about $350 -$450. But I will pay for it - might even sell a kidney for it!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 PM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: none
Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why isn't anyone complaining that Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits or The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac features material only from 1975 onward, with no representation from earlier configurations/eras?

How is that any different from a live compilation that focuses on a specific time period?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Okay! Now my fantasy is to have a massive box set that includes every era of the band -- with the representation of every song that was ever performed on stage! From 1967 to 2010! It will include at least 15 discs and a hard-covered book with the most possible complete documentation with lots of rare performance photos and detailed tour lists.

Graphically and physically, the box will be a stunning work of art. Unfortunately it may cost about $350 -$450. But I will pay for it - might even sell a kidney for it!
Sounds great to me. We're in the same boat on the kidney though!!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Why isn't anyone complaining that Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits or The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac features material only from 1975 onward, with no representation from earlier configurations/eras?

How is that any different from a live compilation that focuses on a specific time period?
Not to knit-pick, but that wasn't the original question or idea that you posed.

Frankly, I think it sucks that the "Greatest Hits" and "The Very Best Of" don't include the pre-Rumours material and "The Very Best Of" should have post-Rumours material included as well.

Honestly, I think someone should pitch these ideas to Mick. I think he'd go for it, really. It might be hard to get past the label since there was the boxed set way back when, but it's certainly possible they could get talked into it. Particularly the "Live Anthology" idea.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just would like to see a compilation of the best live stuff from across the entire history of the band is all.
The label (whichever label currently owns all this stuff) should put a huge bunch of MP3s up on Amazon. People could download what they want. I could download a bunch of MP3s & save them to the Amazon Cloud.

I want to hear my favorites from before 1975 played live, like "Prove Your Love," "The Derelict," "Before the Beginning," "Jumpin' at Shadows," "Safe Harbour," & the 1971 performance of "When the Train Gets Back" from Rapid City, SD.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The label (whichever label currently owns all this stuff) should put a huge bunch of MP3s up on Amazon. People could download what they want. I could download a bunch of MP3s & save them to the Amazon Cloud.
But when the cloud goes down several days in a row without adequate explanation from Amazon, then you'd be frustrated.

Michele
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Frankly, I think it sucks that the "Greatest Hits" and "The Very Best Of" don't include the pre-Rumours material and "The Very Best Of" should have post-Rumours material included as well.

Honestly, I think someone should pitch these ideas to Mick. I think he'd go for it, really. It might be hard to get past the label since there was the boxed set way back when, but it's certainly possible they could get talked into it. Particularly the "Live Anthology" idea.
"The Very Best of" version that was released in the UK/Europe is a one disc set that includes Black Magic Woman, Albatross, and Man of the World.

This issue has many variables to consider. Fleetwood Mac is a very unique band, with very disparate eras. The demographic of their fan base is not a shared community -- culturally related mostly to age, generation, and music style preference.

The songs on Greatest Hits were culled to represent the band as it existed in popular culture for the prior for 13 years. It's purpose was not to highlight the entire span of history of Fleetwood Mac. Most of the people who bought it couldn't give **** about the band's past history. It was the greatest hits as they knew the band to be -- the songs they grew up with, listening to on the radio.

Of course, conversely, there is an older generation of people who grew up knowing Fleetwood Mac as a blues band, and who don't give a **** about their tranformation into a pop rock band.

Then there are fans like me who has come to appreciate all eras of the band, but understand why compilations are segmented into certain eras. There is a wonderful 2 disc greatest hits compilation of the Blues era, as well as other numerous blues era compilations. Is it wrong that these compilations omit songs future eras of the band? Shouldn't have these discs have included songs from the Lindsey/Stevie era?

Of course not! Is that not understandable? It's just a matter of practicality why there arecompilations for various eras. The Chain box set is closest thing to a full representation of the history of the band. Yet, it was heavily focused on the more popular era of the band, with only a passing nod to the middle period of the band, and a small but respectable amount of the Peter Green era.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-26-2011 at 11:37 PM..
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You are nit picking! Do I not have a right to revise a concept, given the nit picking I got for thinking of harmless would-be compilation that highlighted a specific era of the band? Oh the humanity!!!

I thought the only way to placate the naysayers was to fantasize a massive box set that included all eras (apparently the 11th commandment for all compilations).

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-27-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I want to hear my favorites from before 1975 played live, like "Prove Your Love," "The Derelict," "Before the Beginning," "Jumpin' at Shadows," "Safe Harbour," & the 1971 performance of "When the Train Gets Back" from Rapid City, SD.
Wow! Do you have knowledge that Prove Your Love and The Derelict wer performed live? And I've never heard of the song When the Train Gets Back! Was that a cover song? Do you know who wrote it?