The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The list price of the album was crazy for the time. And a radio station played the whole album. If neither of them were a factor, I would have said Think About Me for the lead. I am ok with Tusk then Sara. Of course LB wanted his single released first because he wanted the contrast. LB would never have agreed to Think About Me. Also, I do think Think About Me as the lead would have misled buyers into thinking they got Rumours II. Someone might have considered that as well. That could have turned off fans. Who knows. In the end - 40 years later. The songs that hold up - Tusk, Think About Me, I Know I'm Not Wrong. Over and Over and all of Stevie's.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always got the impression that Christine was reluctant to do her 'Tusk' songs on stage during that tour.

Whereas Stevie and Lindsey did 3 to 4 of their songs live, Christine only did 'Over and Over' (and 'Think About Me' only here and there).

What gives?

Old 10-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
I always got the impression that Christine was reluctant to do her 'Tusk' songs on stage during that tour.

Whereas Stevie and Lindsey did 3 to 4 of their songs live, Christine only did 'Over and Over' (and 'Think About Me' only here and there).

What gives?

They did Brown Eyes on the Tusk Tour.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
They did Brown Eyes on the Tusk Tour.
Hmm, I think 'Brown Eyes' wasn't until the 1982, 1987, and 1990 tours.

Can anyone shed some light on Christine's 'Tusk' songs during the 1979/1980 tour? I'm still pretty sure she only did 'Over and Over', and 'Think About Me' (but sporadically).
Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Can anyone shed some light on Christine's 'Tusk' songs during the 1979/1980 tour? I'm still pretty sure she only did 'Over and Over', and 'Think About Me' (but sporadically).
I was a kid(and was sick as a dog, but begged my mom to let me go), but Tusk was my first FM concert. I'm 99% certain they played Brown Eyes.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For a year or so, I could recite the set list in order.

Those brain cells departed, some considerable time ago.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I was a kid(and was sick as a dog, but begged my mom to let me go), but Tusk was my first FM concert. I'm 99% certain they played Brown Eyes.
Brown Eyes made its concert debut on the Mirage tour.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"That's All For Everyone" and "Walk A Thin Line" are my favorites.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's my understanding. In fact, there were actually entire shows where Chris did none of her 1979 songs (Oh Daddy was pulled in for Over and Over for a time.) But have you heard the rehearsal audio of the band running through Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over, and Think About Me? The band sounds really good on all of them. I think there's an old thread or two about this if you want to pursue it.

Edit: Adding the audio for the above-mentioned tour rehearsal.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 10-20-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would have been great if the MAC would have done Tusk in its entirety. I know it would have been such a risk but a great idea after the 2+ years of touring Rumours. Even if it was just a select group of shows. It was another missed opportunity. If the 5 were together today it could have been a nice 40th celebration. A dude can dream.😎
Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It would have been great if the MAC would have done Tusk in its entirety. I know it would have been such a risk but a great idea after the 2+ years of touring Rumours. Even if it was just a select group of shows. It was another missed opportunity. If the 5 were together today it could have been a nice 40th celebration. A dude can dream.😎
Haha, they could never even play Rumours in it's entirety (close, but never the whole thing). There is zero chance they'd ever do Tusk as a whole unfortunately.

I thought that the 2009 Tour should have been a celebration of the 30th anniversary of Tusk. Obviously, it would have been without Christine, but I thought a better idea than Unleashed would have been to do a mini-Tusk set. Maybe 6-7 songs mid-show... I Know I'm Not Wrong/Angel/Walk a Thin Line/Storms/Brown Eyes/Sisters/Tusk...flanked by the normal setlist. Certainly a better reason to tour than whatever they trotted out as their reason in 2009. And yes, I just suggested Lindsey and Stevie do Brown Eyes sans Christine. It couldn't be worse than Say You Love Me or Stevie's discombobulated Don't Stop lyrics.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=jmn3;1254668]Haha, they could never even play Rumours in it's entirety (close, but never the whole thing). This would have been easy to add I Don’t Want to Know to the play list and do Silver Springs as the encore. Again missed opportunity.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
The list price of the album was crazy for the time. And a radio station played the whole album. If neither of them were a factor, I would have said Think About Me for the lead. I am ok with Tusk then Sara. Of course LB wanted his single released first because he wanted the contrast. LB would never have agreed to Think About Me. Also, I do think Think About Me as the lead would have misled buyers into thinking they got Rumours II. Someone might have considered that as well. That could have turned off fans. Who knows. In the end - 40 years later. The songs that hold up - Tusk, Think About Me, I Know I'm Not Wrong. Over and Over and all of Stevie's.
LOL the fans were already turned off. Today Tusk is revered but the Mac took a tremendous beating because of Tusk. Rock radio was not going to play Tusk or Sara. Remember during the 1982 US Festival when Lindsey introduced a song from Tusk and Christine explains "the album you guys all hated."
The Mac gets played every day in heavy rotation on classic rock stations across the country. However, anything from Tusk is hardly played. I remember there was a local radio station that used to count down music's biggest "turkeys" on Thanksgiving day. The song Tusk was always in the top 10.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's my understanding. In fact, there were actually entire shows where Chris did none of her 1979 songs (Oh Daddy was pulled in for Over and Over for a time.) But have you heard the rehearsal audio of the band running through Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over, and Think About Me? The band sounds really good on all of them. I think there's an old thread or two about this if you want to pursue it.

Edit: Adding the audio for the above-mentioned tour rehearsal.
I hadn't heard some of that rehearsal audio before. I'm surprised how great Honey Hi sounds. Stevie and Christine's harmonies are excellent. They could definitely have included that song in some sort of mid-set acoustic section as a happy alternative to Storms or something.

It's honestly shocking that Think About Me didn't get played very often (being a minor single and the only Rumours-y song on the album) while the dirge Over and Over did. Not complaining, those harmonies are excellent, but that would've been the LAST song I would have expected them to play out of her set of songs. But then I'd say the same about Oh Daddy and they played that on 3 world tours :laughs:

Brown Eyes should always be in the Mac setlist. It sounded soooooo good on the Mirage and Tango tours. Never Forget might have made a cute encore closer too with the harmonies.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Wow! 'Honey Hi' (live)!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting!