User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
'...He again demanded that they would delay their world tour for a year or a year and a half while he finished his solo record, and his solo records never sell anything. He gave them the ultimatum that he would quit, so the band talked and said, “You know what? Why don’t we just fire you? You’ve pulled that trick one too many times. We don’t care.”

What a complete sh!t Ken is turning out to be. He's gone right down hill in my estimation.
'...Delay their world tour for a year or a year and a half'.
It's now up to a year and a half? Any takers for 2 years???? Where did a year and a half come from? Mick? John?

'...You've pulled that trick one too many times'.
When has he ever pulled that trick? Ken may be referencing Lindsey threatening to do a solo record at the time of Tusk, but I don't recall him ever threatening to quit if they refused to allow him to do a solo record and tour.

'...His solo records never sell anything'....you d!ck Ken. Shut up!
He's still using the tour delay strategy to put Lindsey under a bad light, even after it was proved that it was NOT the reason he was fired?
He's trying the get Lindsey's attention, like Stevie with all those nasty comments she made along the tour, or he's truly an a*shole like the rest of the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and the various threats made by Stevie over the years to either not participate or to publicly trash band projects if she didn't get her way.

I have to think the BuckVie project really pushed her over the edge.
But she's Stevie f*cking Nicks. You don't mess with the Queen!
And she's not the bosss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Ken really loves LB, he just has a really strange way of showing it.
Like Stevie?
Nah, she just hates him.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I don't care for the Tusk book as much as I liked the Rumours book. Tusk seems rushed. No photos and yes I noticed the timeline difference also.

His comments in the interview are pretty bad. It sounds like since he talks to Mick and John, that he is on the Mick bandwagon when it comes to Lindsey.

It sounds like everything that Stevie said. According to one of Ken's post's, he claimed Stevie told Lindsey, why do a solo album, it won't sell anyway. I feel really bad for Lindsey, talk about beating someone when they are down.
I'm not suprised he's on Mick's side. These people have no soul.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
huh.... interesting given LB's seeming indifference to that album for a long time.. though I was please how well it was represented on his Anthology.
Out Of The Cradle is the best solo album by a member of the FM, IMO.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
A good example of class is Keith Olsen, who is basically responsible for introducing LB and SN to Polydor and then to FM. His work on the white album was exceptional, but he wasn't asked back. From what I recall, Keith liked to prominently feature the bottom end, a point of contention between him and Lindsey once they began talks about Rumours. So, bye Keith. I've never heard him bitch about this.

For what it's worth, the prominent bottom end is what really draws me to the white album. John's creative bass lines really stand out, especially on "Blue Letter," "Rhiannon," "Over My Head," "Say Your Love Me, "Sugar Daddy, " and "World Turning."

And the drums--wow--"World Turning" and "So Afraid" are truly standouts because of Mick's work.
Don't forget that walking bass in Crystal. Whomever decided to put the keyboard solo with that walking bass line... Genius! and then it fades like the "sea".
Old 12-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Don't forget that walking bass in Crystal. Whomever decided to put the keyboard solo with that walking bass line... Genius! and then it fades like the "sea".
It's one of the band's best instrumental moments on record. A real feature for the McVies.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's one of the band's best instrumental moments on record. A real feature for the McVies.
A McVie moment on a B/N tune!!! shhhh You'll upset people that think the band is Lindsey and Stevie.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually bought this book yesterday and I finished it last night. Sure, it has some good juicy stuff, even if the narrative is obviously constructed in a cheesy, after-the-fact approach. But the flaws are threefold for this sort of book:

• The photos are blurry or fuzzy or just stupid. Can’t you find some better photos from a year in the studio? How about check Tumblr? Or call Peter Beard for tearsheets.

• We’re not interested in your love life or your immigration story or your shenanigans around town if Fleetwood Mac weren’t involved. Way too much space is given to such claptrap. If you didn’t feel like writing more about Fleetwood Mac (or couldn’t remember anything else to add), shorten your damn book and lower the price a little. Don’t pad it with your personal detritus. Start a blog instead.

• Last but most important, you’re both longtime studio engineers but the rest of us are not. This book is absolutely filled with techno-geek jargon that probably 99 percent of us don’t understand. Why didn’t you bother paraphrasing some of this recording verbiage into something that would mean something to us readers? Are you just showing off your knowledge? There were so many times I wanted to hear a clear, straightforward description of the technology and the approach (for example, mic setup or instrument placement around the room) for certain songs but couldn’t wade through the clotted undergrowth of your pseudodescriptive language. It was pretentious. I have a pretty good background in music theory, can read staff notation, and play an instrument, but I couldn’t understand you 75 percent of the time you were discussing the songs or the studio. “Let’s put the amp in the iso room with two close mics on it.” Uhh, sure.

I give this book a 5 out of 10. The Rumours book is arriving next.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You'll enjoy the Rumours book better. For some reason, my book doesn't have photos. I bought it on Nook and I'm reading through it. I'm not sure why I have no photos. But it seems they are not that great anyway.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 12-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm... I'm having technical problems connecting my Kindle to the internet and don't want to hassle with a printed version. I was trying to think of another way to overcome this, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure I want to. I'm in the process of rereading the Rumours book and am definitely picking up on a slightly hostile, ego-driven, negativity thing maybe? Hadn't really picked up on that before, I don't think. I had several conversations with Ken and met him a couple times including at The Record Plant for the book signing. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Although he promised me a personal tour of the studio after I arrived a day early from Portland, that never happened. I took his word at face value, but now I wonder if he wasn't trying to display some carefully placed swagger to match his book persona. Nah, I'm overthinking it. HAHA!!! His wife was with him for the Sausalito part of the book tour and they stayed at the same hotel in Mill City where I stayed. We all had S'Mores at the patio fire pit that night.

Anyway, he's probably writing these books this way to sell copies. I think that's a problem with being a decades long die-hard fan. It can take some effort to get over artistic license.

I need to find a way to download the book to my iPad. I guess it's not available on iTunes and maybe it never will be. I'm using public wifi and the Kindle wants a login which it can only obtain using the browser, but something about the public wifi signal won't allow the login. The error is too generic... "Can't perform Login Task."
Old 01-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My overall impression of this book is that Lindsey came in and said we are doing this my way and that's that. But he really had no idea what it was he wanted to do at first. And there were huge chunks of time where he wasn't in the studio and so no one had anything to do but hang out and party. Also it seems Stevie really had to fight to get her songs heard and put on the record because Lindsey either didn't like them or didn't want to do them. Maybe that's why Stevie only has 5 and Lindsey has 9. I think Lindsey probably should have saved a lot of his ideas and songs for his solo album and worked more as a band member. He wanted to be boss and the band let him so he wouldn't leave. I love Tusk and things worked out the way they did, but I can understand the frustration of Ken and John who even had to fight to play his bass parts and then Lindsey would re record them. It just wasn't a good situation for a band. And of course the tension between Stevie and Lindsey. LOL. It's an interesting read and It helped me understand Lindsey a little bit better also. He really wanted to get away from the Rumours sound

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Lindsey probably should have saved a lot of his ideas and songs for his solo album and worked more as a band member. He wanted to be boss and the band let him so he wouldn't leave.
If you listen just to the Lindsey songs, it sounds like a solo album.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My overall impression of this book is that Lindsey came in and said we are doing this my way and that's that. But he really had no idea what it was he wanted to do at first. And there were huge chunks of time where he wasn't in the studio and so no one had anything to do but hang out and party. Also it seems Stevie really had to fight to get her songs heard and put on the record because Lindsey either didn't like them or didn't want to do them. Maybe that's why Stevie only has 5 and Lindsey has 9. I think Lindsey probably should have saved a lot of his ideas and songs for his solo album and worked more as a band member. He wanted to be boss and the band let him so he wouldn't leave. I love Tusk and things worked out the way they did, but I can understand the frustration of Ken and John who even had to fight to play his bass parts and then Lindsey would re record them. It just wasn't a good situation for a band. And of course the tension between Stevie and Lindsey. LOL. It's an interesting read and It helped me understand Lindsey a little bit better also. He really wanted to get away from the Rumours sound
Stevies songs are MUCH longer hence she has less songs. If you go buy song length, I bet they are about the same.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Stevies songs are MUCH longer hence she has less songs. If you go buy song length, I bet they are about the same.
yeah, i think somebody compared the time in minutes each of the songwriters has on Tusk - i'm sure someone here will know. the times are all very close. in fact, either Stevie or Christine if not both have longer time than Lindsey. most of his songs on Tusk are about 2 minute mark.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-05-2020, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
If you listen just to the Lindsey songs, it sounds like a solo album.
That’s what I thought about Say You Will After I listened to it for the first time in years today. Stevie’s songs sounded like Trouble in Shangri La part two, except with Lindsey added because he definitely has his own sound that has infiltrated his songs for years. Perhaps that’s as it should be.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After much digging around and catching up on events of the last five years and reading a sample of Kens new book, I broke down and ordered a hardcover copy. Should be here Monday. Makes me wonder how long they’re gonna flog this old nag of a horse.