Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny Kirwan

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I had head awhile back the Danny wasn't doing very well physical or mental health wise. Does anyone have a current update on his condition? thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Forgive me for being ignorant, but I had head awhile back the Danny wasn't doing very well physical or mental health wise. Does anyone have a current update on his condition? thanks
He's just a drunk on the streets. That's the choice he's made. Sad, but true.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
He's just a drunk on the streets. That's the choice he's made. Sad, but true.
That might be a bit of a generalisation, but in effect it's true. He does have a more permanent place to stay these days and his family is looking out for him, but as far as anyone knows he's still got a big drink problem and no direction in life. He's still in London and his financial affairs (royalties etc) are taken care of, but other than that we don't really know a whole lot. Nothing ever seems to come out about Danny's situation.

The debate on whether he's happy or not would be a very long one, and ultimately none of us can answer that
Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I do firmly believe that all people must ultimately bear responsibility for their actions, (past, present and future) your characterization of Kirwan's current state seems unduly harsh.
It would seem as if Kirwan was possessed of an extremely fragile psyche, even more so than Green, and his alcoholism widened the fissures over the years to the point where he can longer deal with even the pressures of living a "normal" life, let alone the pressures of being a performer.
As with Green, I can not believe that he has "chosen" the path his life took.
It seems a cruel irony that individuals who have given countless strangers, around the globe, so much joy, are unable to find even peace, let alone happiness in their own lives.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
It seems a cruel irony that individuals who have given countless strangers, around the globe, so much joy, are unable to find even peace, let alone happiness in their own lives.
I wonder, though, IS Danny REALLY "unable to find peace" or happiness? I question that.

There was a stretch of time in my life when I found myself "homeless" (and, yes, "a drunk", too)...I wouldn't want those days back again in the ever-so-slightest way, but I wouldn't say that I wasn't at peace or unhappy. Those tags were dumped on me by others. At the time, I felt "free" & unencumbered by life's troubles. To the rest of the world, (apparently) I WAS troubled, but in my own mind (however warped I may have been), I was just fine, thank you.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I wonder, though, IS Danny REALLY "unable to find peace" or happiness? I question that.

There was a stretch of time in my life when I found myself "homeless" (and, yes, "a drunk", too)...I wouldn't want those days back again in the ever-so-slightest way, but I wouldn't say that I wasn't at peace or unhappy. Those tags were dumped on me by others. At the time, I felt "free" & unencumbered by life's troubles. To the rest of the world, (apparently) I WAS troubled, but in my own mind (however warped I may have been), I was just fine, thank you.
Yep. It is a choice, IMO, for many people.
I have a cousin, who is highly intelligent, but just has NO interest in doing anything worthwhile(and will readily admit this). He's drunk everyday, and sleeps in an old camper behind one of his friend's houses, and uses an outhouse. He's a good mechanic, and carpenter, but simply has no interest in working, or owning anything. He helps them just enough to get his case of beer everyday.
He's made the CHOICE all by himself that he wants to be a homeless drunk. I think that's the same choice Danny made.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I think that's the same choice Danny made.
I dunno. From all I've read, Danny never seemed to be an especially stable person. I think he had mental health problems before he joined the band, and the lifestyle of a rock band like Fleetwood Mac back in the day, with all the drugs and alcohol, made those problems worse. Look at how drugs and alcohol affected so many others in Fleetwood Mac as well as other groups. Add a mental health disorder or two to the mix, and you end up with a Danny Kirwan. That being said, I also agree that he might feel a sense of peace and happiness with the way things are. It wouldn't be for me, but then I don't have to look at the world through Danny's eyes.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default response

Boy, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses to my original question. I am going through depression myself right now, and although I'm not homeless and I dont drink, I can at least somewhat appriciate what Peter and Danny went through and are still going through. I certainly hope for Danny's sake, he is able to get the help he needs before its too late. And judging by the 3 times I've seen Peter perforom live since 1998, he's done quite well in getting his mental illness at least somewhat under control. I don't think I really need to emphasize how important Peter, and Danny as well, are to the history of Fleetwood Mac. I pray that they can find happiness, Because they sure deserve it.