Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter's playing on Enemy Within

In these "Who plays what" times I put on the Enemy Within album...
Just to see if I could finally spot Peter's contribution there among the many other guitarists.

I've avoided this album for a long time, but it isn't that bad. If you listen to the music there are many exciting rythms and grooves. And I really enjoy that atonal guitar, and those Chinese sounds on "Chinese White Boy" On the other hand, I still can't stand the singer (Raven) and those dreadful sound effects he put onto his voice. That's the main reason why I stayed away from it so long

Well, I "found" Peter at last.. On the track called "Eprom Song". During the "choruses/breaks" you can hear him play a few clear tones (along with a kalimba). Later in the end he is given more space and plays an free-form, jazzy solo - quite like the style he has these days.

The CD sleeve says that he also played bass during the sessions, and I guess that it could be him playing bass on "Chinese White Boy" - it seems very loose and made up on the spot. This is of course wild guessing...

Has anybody found Peter's playing elsewhere on this album?

And what about that album "Phenomena" by a band with the same name (1985-6)?? Somebody talked about Peter maybe playing on that album, some years ago (was it on the Views For Greeny forum?)... Does anybody know more about it?

Daniel
Old 04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you Daniel, I also hear Peter on "Ephrom song".
And Raven said in a Record collector interview that Peter played bass on "Chinese white boy",
though that was all he could remember...The liner notes say he plays guitar on that track too, but that could be wrong, of course.
Peter's also listed in some discographies as playing gon "Post modern blues", although what that info comes from is not clear.
On the "Phenomena" album a Peter Green is listed for backing vocals, no guitar though. But this is probably
not "our" Peter, maybe it is the guy called Daniel Boone, who played on the "Kolors" album, and who's
real name is Peter Green too... . Anyway, the music is really bad 80's metal.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

More info on Phenomena...Cozy Powell and Neil Murray from Splinter Group Mark1 play on the album...seems
to be an offshoot of the horrible Whitesnake.

"Phenomena was a project conceived by Tom Galley (Mel Galley's brother perhaps?). Under that monicker, he recorded three albums, although Neil only plays in the first and the second one.

In the first album, Phenomena, there are lots of Whitesnake-related musicians: Mel Galley (guitar), Cozy Powell, Neil Murray, Richard Bailey (keyboards), plus some other guests, like Glenn Hughes (vocals, from Deep Purple, Trapeze), John Thomas (guitar, from Budgie), Ted McKenna (drums, from Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Greg Lake Band and Cozy's replacement in Michael Schenker Group), Ric Sanders (fiddle, from Soft Machine, Albion Band), Don Airey (keyboards, from Rainbow and many others), etc. With a song co-penned by great guitarist Pat Thrall (he was involved with Glenn Hughes in the Hughes-Thrall project)."
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
....great guitarist Pat Thrall (he was involved with Glenn Hughes in the Hughes-Thrall project)."

Wasn't Thrall also Pat Travers' 2nd guitarist back in the early 80's?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
Well, I "found" Peter at last.. On the track called "Eprom Song". During the "choruses/breaks" you can hear him play a few clear tones (along with a kalimba). Later in the end he is given more space and plays an free-form, jazzy solo - quite like the style he has these days.
Thanks so much for pointing out this track, Daniel!

I'd listened before to "Chinese White Boy" and "Post-Modern Blues", which are the tracks usually associated with Greeny's involvement in this album. I sure couldn't pick out his playing in either one, and the music was so dreadful I never bothered to listen to the rest of the album. But I do believe you're right, that guitar on "Eprom Song" definitely sounds like our Greeny. Other than his playing, the music is still dreadful, though!

His playing on the Enemy Within album was his last recording prior to his '96 comeback, correct?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You're welcome sharkfan2000! I think you're right it was his last performance of that era.. I'm sure it was after the Katmandu project, and my only question was about this "Phenomena" thing.

I've also seen Peter linked to "Chinese White Boy" and "Post Modern Blues" but I've always thought that it was just coincidence .. after all, these two tracks have been issued on a couple of "various artists" blues-CDs.

But thank you Dino for the info on "Chinese White Boy". It could be him on bass on "Post Modern Blues" too, as far as I can hear. But again, just speculations from my side. The CD version that I have, does not state that Peter is playing on any particular track - just that he happens to play guitar and bass.

And thanks for the info on Phenomena .. no I guess I won't bother trying to get it. I thought I'd heard Nigel Watson's name assiciated to them, but I guess it really must have been Neil and Cozy...