User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I hope you do the panel for Rock a Little, Mitzo!
And I hope you guys will be there too.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

"Rock A Little" is Tuesday at 8 pm Eastern! Anyone who isn't already on the list email me at deargloffy@gmail.com to get the info! See you all on Tuesday!
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I personally love the album, see it as a quantum leap ahead from BD, and get tingles whenever I hear the first bars of some of the tracks.
I agree with you about this. The received wisdom is that BD is her crowning achievement, but in terms of a solo statement, TWH is far more convincing. The sound is more unified, the vocals more assured, and most of the songs appear to have been written around the time of its making. Some of the arrangements are a bit precious by comparison to those on BD, but the overall vibe is one of genuine emotional commitment. Stevie holds nothing back here. She’s all in on every song. Whatever she has to give is lavishly spent.

I even love the silly sleeve design. That florid cursive lettering, the pinks and mauves and purples, the preponderance of ellipses...all of this suggests the world of unicorns, leotards, paper flowers, and canopied beds. She goes all in without apology. Whatever Fleetwood Mac vetoed or tempered has been released and runs amuck.

When the album came out, I asked my brother to get it for me on one of his trips to the mall with his pals. He was embarrassed to be seen buying something so girly. But I was a boy who didn’t give a f...k. She was too good then to ignore, too urgent to dismiss. And she’s knew it.

By comparison, RAL is seriously disappointing.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I agree with you about this. The received wisdom is that BD is her crowning achievement, but in terms of a solo statement, TWH is far more convincing. The sound is more unified, the vocals more assured, and most of the songs appear to have been written around the time of its making. Some of the arrangements are a bit precious by comparison to those on BD, but the overall vibe is one of genuine emotional commitment. Stevie holds nothing back here. She’s all in on every song. Whatever she has to give is lavishly spent.

I even love the silly sleeve design. That florid cursive lettering, the pinks and mauves and purples, the preponderance of ellipses...all of this suggests the world of unicorns, leotards, paper flowers, and canopied beds. She goes all in without apology. Whatever Fleetwood Mac vetoed or tempered has been released and runs amuck.

When the album came out, I asked my brother to get it for me on one of his trips to the mall with his pals. He was embarrassed to be seen buying something so girly. But I was a boy who didn’t give a f...k. She was too good then to ignore, too urgent to dismiss. And she’s knew it.

By comparison, RAL is seriously disappointing.
TWH is really good. It is. But the masterpiece is BD.

When I'm eventually banished to a desert island for my remaining years, with however many albums I'm allowed to bring, Bella Donna will be there. TWH won't make the cut. BD is GREATNESS.

Old thing should have had her trailer hitch WELDED to Jimmy Iovine's bumper!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
TWH is really good. It is. But the masterpiece is BD.

When I'm eventually banished to a desert island for my remaining years, with however many albums I'm allowed to bring, Bella Donna will be there. TWH won't make the cut. BD is GREATNESS.

Old thing should have had her trailer hitch WELDED to Jimmy Iovine's bumper!
100% Agree. Bella Donna is flawless. The Wild Heart is just good. TWH could be improved in so many ways. You cant say that about Bella Donna.
Let me count the ways:
Title track is good but not as good as BD. The version on the deluxe release is so much better. Its faster paced and more rocking. Plus WTF Jimmy Iovine with that weird ending. They definitely wanted a more easy listening version.
If Anyone Falls - would not change it
Gate and Garden - probably her best vocal of any song ever. She hits the highest notes and Roy's playing is his most brilliant but I hate the song. Hate it! I see why it made the album because of Roy and Stevie's singing but its one of my least favorites. Replace it with the deluxe version of I sing for the things. A third video and releasing Enchanted, I will run to you, or Nothing Ever Changes would have prolonged the album on the charts.
Enchanted - would not change it
Nightbird - Good grief those cheezy 80s keyboards in the beginning sounds like some microwaving cats. Scrap it and replace it with All the beautiful worlds
Stand Back - would not change it
I will run to you - ok but I think Tom could have submitted a better song
Nothing Ever Changes - one of my favorites no changes
Sable on Blonde - scrap Mick. The deluxe version is so good in the beginning. The song should have been a mix between the 2 songs. Her deluxe version is so freaking good.
Beauty and the Beast ok

The guitar took a back seat compared to Bella Donna where guitars were the showcase. It was now well into the 80s which was common to have more keyboards. Nothing killed this album faster than Nightbird as a single. No one understood it and its just not a catchy single. It was almost like they said, the tour is over so lets kill the album. Releasing Enchanted or I Will Run To You or Nothing Ever Changes with a video would have extended the album's run.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-09-2021 at 06:02 AM..
Old 03-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Stevie holds nothing back here. She’s all in on every song. Whatever she has to give is lavishly spent.

Great insights.

I must confess that I’ve never seen the “masterpiece” in Bella Donna. It sounds like either sloggy Nashville or Heartbreakers B-sides. The only reason I like it is because Stevie is on it (although I guess I could say that about all her albums).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Great insights.

I must confess that I’ve never seen the “masterpiece” in Bella Donna. It sounds like either sloggy Nashville or Heartbreakers B-sides. The only reason I like it is because Stevie is on it (although I guess I could say that about all her albums).
BD has mostly forgettable songs and horrible production. She had so many brilliant demos by then and had the chance to make a mindblowing album and, no. The attempt at "rock" and the Heartbreakers influence really flatten and deaden her talent.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BD has mostly forgettable songs and horrible production. She had so many brilliant demos by then and had the chance to make a mindblowing album and, no. The attempt at "rock" and the Heartbreakers influence really flatten and deaden her talent.
You're just a ray of sunshine.

BD is her masterpiece to me, because it sounds like the Eagles are her backing band. BD is perfection! The Highwayman!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You're just a ray of sunshine.

BD is her masterpiece to me, because it sounds like the Eagles are her backing band. BD is perfection! The Highwayman!
Highwayman. Now I know for sure you are joking.

How Still My Love, E of 17, and Outside the Rain. That's it, the rest is filler.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MacMan must be a brother from another mother because I would've written pretty close to the same about the Wild Heart, especially the beloved Gate and Garden. Wow, what a vocal, and in hindsight amazing that this moment was captured. She has never ever, sounded this good on a solo song- the song itself is bad but what a vocal!

Sable on Blond also, good idea on a mash up- that intro on the deluxe, just oozing sexiness and better without Mick's Dreams 2.0.

While we're on the topic, that killer Sorcerer outtake- woozier!

Hard to top Bella Donna but the Wild Heart came damn close. I don't think I felt the same vibe until In your Dreams (which I love, but doesn't have the same lasting effect.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Highwayman. Now I know for sure you are joking.

How Still My Love, E of 17, and Outside the Rain. That's it, the rest is filler.
I'll bet you hate real country music with a passion?

The Highwayman and After The Glitter Fades are at the top of my list. I love both.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
MacMan must be a brother from another mother because I would've written pretty close to the same about the Wild Heart
MacMan?! I haven't seen that sweet Avatar of Stevie blowing a kiss in forever!

You meant Macfan4life?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
MacMan?! I haven't seen that sweet Avatar of Stevie blowing a kiss in forever!
MacMan Peter! Whatever happened to MacMan?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-10-2021, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
MacMan must be a brother from another mother because I would've written pretty close to the same about the Wild Heart, especially the beloved Gate and Garden. Wow, what a vocal, and in hindsight amazing that this moment was captured. She has never ever, sounded this good on a solo song- the song itself is bad but what a vocal!

Sable on Blond also, good idea on a mash up- that intro on the deluxe, just oozing sexiness and better without Mick's Dreams 2.0.

While we're on the topic, that killer Sorcerer outtake- woozier!

Hard to top Bella Donna but the Wild Heart came damn close. I don't think I felt the same vibe until In your Dreams (which I love, but doesn't have the same lasting effect.
If you put a gun to my head I could not decide which version of Sable on Blonde is better. The deluxe version is so great in the beginning how the song builds and then the drums crack in and the song is at a new level. However it needs editing because the ending is too long. The album version is better towards the end and is a slightly better vocal.

Although I don't think Wild Heart is as good as BD its frustrating to me because it could have been a better album. I would have to disagree with you that TWH came close to Bella Donna. IMHO, it falls short in many areas. This is one of the few times I agree with the majority of critics and album sales. They did not love TWH as much as BD and it sold less which is odd considering the video era TWH was released in.
Most important is The Wild Heart is the last vocals of Stevie's career before cocaine and the hole in her nose ruined her voice. Even the WH tour her vocals were not the same.

She had such amazing material still in her collection. It blows my mind that Sleeping Angel was a demo since 1976 and never found its way on a Stevie solo or Mac album and given to a movie soundtrack to almost get lost. I also would have liked Garbo to be included on the album if you could have 11 or 12 songs. The album so desperately needed an acoustic guitar somewhere.

I actually like the album cover of the WH better than Bella Donna but BD is in a league of its own. Not only is it my favorite Stevie album but I think its one of the best albums of the 80s decade. Having said that, IMHO RAL is one of the worst albums of the 80's.

Long story short, THW is in the winners circle but I leave with too many frustrations over what could have been and the singles released and what was excluded from the album. The title song Bella Donna is epic. Its a lyrically masterpiece and the music is wonderful in so much building and breaking over and over. It sets the tone of the album. The title track Wild Heart is meh.... superb vocal but the piano sounds so amateur. It does not yield the power Bella Donna had. However listening to the deluxe version I hear what could have been. Clearly the deluxe version needed work. Her vocal almost seems rushed but it has power, something the album cut does not have. And as I said, good grief that ending is so dumb. An epic song does not have a fade out especially when the vocalist is getting louder. Its almost like Jimmy had no idea how to end the song so he just faded it out. He was in a rush to go to lunch or something?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-10-2021 at 07:17 AM..
Old 03-10-2021, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey MacFan (eyes played tricks on me- saw MacMac LOL)
Sleeping Angel, my god what a beautiful song and an excellent replacement for either Nightbird or I will Run to You, it did not deserve obscurity on a throwaway movie soundtrack. She also should've found room for Garbo and All the Beautiful Worlds and it would've raised the bar considerably for the Wild Heart. As for the title track, like Gate and Garden, the awesome vocal makes up for any arrangement or lyrical flubs.

Glad we have this wonderful singing captured forever from Stevie, it was never the same after this. And Rock a Little, that's a whole other story isn't it