The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 AM
Ledgie

Stunning. She can really deliver when the right producer is with her. Get her in the studio with Rick again! He could do magic with her demos and he clearly knows how to highlight the strengths of her voice.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rick could just be the appropriate producer for the "Rhiannon Songs Project"... Imagine this type of production for "China Doll" and the others. (Wish he'd been involved in "She Loves Him Still" - the 24KG version is vastly inferior to the RAL demo.)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i was skeptical about how stevie's voice would mesh with lana's but it sounds absolutely stunning! this song turned out so well i am beyond impressed!
here is a review of the song here:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/lana-...ms-review.html

For as long as she’s been known, it’s been a given that Lana Del Rey has “features” in abundance, but not on her albums. If her persona has been the outcome of a carefully, even poetically arranged series of gestures and looks, maintaining that particular image has mandated that she only appear far from the distorting presence of other artists. She could at times lend her voice to others (to the Weeknd most recently and prominently), but it didn’t work the other way around: her neo-retro aesthetic didn’t harmonize with the sound and tone of the vast majority of contemporary artists’. Kanye and Nicki are decent fits for a Katy Perry album, and Ed Sheeran made for a plausible guest on Taylor Swift’s Red LP, but who was fit to pay a call to Lana? No one, apparently. As an artist busy shaping a distinctly different style of her own, over the course of three albums, she was too self-possessed to play with guests.

But Lana has also always possessed a precious capability to surprise her audience. Since her fourth album’s Weeknd-featuring title track dropped in April it’s been understood that Lust for Life, released in full last night, would be her first with any featured artists; since the A$AP Rocky features “Summer Bummer” and “Groupie Love” came out last week it’s been clear that Lust would be her first album with multiple guests. The track listing, similarly released last week, also numbered Sean Ono Lennon and Stevie Nicks as collaborators.

Naturally, fans were quick to speculate on the known but as-yet unheard guests, particularly in the latter case. Given the ’60s vibe of the album art and a lead track citing Woodstock in its title, enlisting Ono Lennon made sense — and in fact “Tomorrow Never Came,” the superb song on which he features, exudes a love-and-peace vibe. But with Stevie Nicks and Lana Del Rey, the conjunction was just as logical, but also harder to imagine ahead of time. There had never before been a Lana track with two women, and figuring out exactly how Nicks’s own mature and self-possessed voice would meet Lana’s halfway seemed a hopeless task. One could only wait and learn in due time how “Beautiful People Beautiful Problems (feat. Stevie Nicks)” would ring out.

The track is very good. Lana’s opening verse, a brightly colored quatrain from a bird’s-eye view, exemplifies the album’s partial shift, relative to its predecessors, from being seen to being an observer. After casting larger than life shadows for three albums, Lana has decided, on roughly half of Lust for Life (the other half being a fresh dose of the nectar and ambrosia her fans know well), to view the world and its people at large, encroached on by darkness yet still worthy of faith. “We get so tired and we complain / ’bout how it’s hard to live / It’s more than a video game,” Lana adds, calling back to her earliest hit while revising its message. It’s not enough to get lost in images anymore, and when she launches a chorus about how we’re just beautiful people with beautiful problems, the tone is inclusive and grounded, less glamorous and more personal. That “we” isn’t royal; it’s everyone who’s tired but trying to go on.

If you’re wondering where the old Lana went, Nicks, on her own verse, seems to be possessed by her spirit. It’s a jolt to hear Nicks’s own oiled-leather voice delivering four Lana-esque lines, about love for a hard man, capped off by a perfect summation of the old Lana aesthetic: “My heart is soft, my past is rough.” When the two finally sing in unison, the effect is hair-raising:

But when I love him, get a feeling
Something close to like a sugar rush
It runs through me, but is it wasted love?
Let’s not waste it, love.

It’s unclear exactly how the first verse fits with the second, which is to say how Lana’s new vision fits with the old one she’s mastered. Our first impression (and first impressions of Lana are, to be fair, extremely deceiving) is of the album as two smaller albums merged together under one name. All of the songs are excellent, but we’re not sure yet if they’re quite as excellent together. What’s already certain, though, is that Lana Del Rey and Stevie Nicks sound thrilling on the same track: For now, that should be enough.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Long live our reign

Blue is the color of the shirt of the man I love
When I first heard this song I though Lana sang: Long live Iran (and I was so turned off by hearing IRAN that it almost ruined the song for me)

As soon as I first heard SN sing:Blue is the color of the shirt of the man I love, I instantly thought of Blue Denim(Lyric wise, not musically).
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

few more reviews:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...tors-producers

Stevie Nicks
The singer-songwriter legend has been making a return to prominence of sorts, featured on both the Lust for Life track “Beautiful People Beautiful Problems” and duetting with Harry Styles in concert. Talking about working with the Fleetwood Mac star, Del Rey told KROQ in a recent interview: “She’s everything you hope she’s gonna be. She’s so contemporary, and she knows all the new music that’s out weekly. She loved the track and she added so much to it.” When chatting with Del Rey herself for V Magazine, Nicks said the collaboration changed her forever. “We are witchy sisters and that’s it. That’s where ‘Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems’ comes from, because we are trying to ride above all the problems and have hope in everything else, but it’s still a world filled with problems no matter how hard we try to change it.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...ream-download/

In an in-depth interview with Pitchfork, Del Rey discussed what it was like recording with Nicks:

“She came in straight off a plane from her last show of like 60 cities, which I was actually supposed to open for. She had asked me, and I was like, ‘Oh my god.’ But I couldn’t because I don’t want to do a 60-show tour.

She flew through the door. Blond highlights, rose gold glasses, gold-tipped nails, rose gold lipstick, gold chains, gold rings, black on black on black. Very stylish. And meanwhile, I looked like a housewife of 15—flannel on flannel, because it was a cold night. And I was like, Why did I not dress up for Stevie Nicks?

At the end of the track, she sings, then I sing, then she sings. I was kinda embarrassed. I was like, ‘I sound so little compared to you.’ And she was like, ‘That’s good, you’re my little echo.’ And I was like, Stevie called me her little echo. It’s a stupid little thing, but she was very nurturing in that way, and not belittling of the fact that I had a more breathy voice. Which I wasn’t even aware of until I was shoulder-to-shoulder on a track with someone with less air in their voice. I felt a little more exposed in that moment. But she was like, ‘That’s you. You just be you.'”

omg lana could have opened for stevie? that would have been a dream come true i have always wanted to see her live. wow!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Or a very soft shirt in a light blue
Old 07-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Harry Styles, Katy Perry, Lana Del Ray, Taylor Swift, Courtney Love, Adam Levine, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Kenny Loggins, Don Henley, Vanessa Carlton, Chrissie Hynde, Prince, the list goes on and on of her collaborators and/or singers who speak so highly of her. Really incredible.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Or a very soft shirt in a light blue
I thought of that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms_x View Post
It's hard to say, but it's a slow burn that ends with the competing back ground vocals, from both, that are up front and center, like her older songs used to be produced.

Yes to this!

Jimmy understood this and worked it into many of her songs but subsequent producers have not, and Dave Stewart absolutely did not.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a gorgeous verse melody.

It's wonderful to hear Stevie working so much lately in her softer, higher range.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow another one that really works..Please get this woman in studio for a solo album soon.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is listed as a cowriter on this song.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie is listed as a cowriter on this song.
omg i refuse to believe stevie wrote these lyrics.
the music is fine and she sounds great but i hate lana del rey's lyrics deeply lol.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
omg i refuse to believe stevie wrote these lyrics.
the music is fine and she sounds great but i hate lana del rey's lyrics deeply lol.
She is 1 of 4 songwriters on the song.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She is 1 of 4 songwriters on the song.
she probably just helped with the melody or some words here and there because this song is typical lana lyrics
Old 07-22-2017, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
she probably just helped with the melody or some words here and there because this song is typical lana lyrics
Lana is a critics darling and she deserves to be. Once again she had delivered an excellent album.