Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Murphys, CA (Ironstone) preview article

http://www.lodinews.com/features/art...6532fc592.html

Fleetwood Mac's Buckingham, McVie bring duo project to Ironstone

Fleetwood Mac's Buckingham, McVie bring duo project to Ironstone
To celebrate the release of their new self-titled duo album, Fleetwood Mac veterans Lindsey Buckingham, left, and Christine McVie are going on tour. They'll be making their only California stop at Ironstone Amphitheatre in Murphys, joined by the Wallflowers. (John Russo/Courtesy photograph)

If you go
When: 8 to 10 p.m. Friday, July 21, 2017
Where: Ironstone Amphitheatre, 1894 6 Mile Road, Murphys
Tickets: $55 to $250; buffet tickets available for purchase
More information: www.ironstoneamphitheatre.net
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:10 pm

By Kyla Cathey/Lodi Living Editor

Three years ago — just months after she rejoined Fleetwood Mac for the "On With the Show" tour — Christine McVie and bandmate Lindsey Buckingham headed to the studio to reconnect and record new material.
Despite the time apart, the pair quickly got back in the swing of things. The result is their first-ever duo project: the 10-song album "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie," released in June.
The project's scope was unexpected, Buckingham said.
"It got sort of started as a lark," he told the News-Sentinel.
The pair began the songwriting project with their thoughts on a new Fleetwood Mac album. But once he and McVie began working together again, it took on a larger scope. They had admired each other's songwriting abilities for decades, and wanted to work on a few songs together.

When bandmate Steve Nicks' tour schedule caused delays with the band's next album, Buckingham and McVie decided to work on the duo project. Soon, they were turning out singles like the soulful "In My World" and African island-inspired "Red Sun."

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie contributed to the album's rhythms.
Now, Buckingham and McVie have launched a not-to-be-missed summer tour, and the only California stop is at Ironstone Amphitheatre in Murphys.
"I hear it's a great venue," Buckingham said.

The pair have — individually and together with each other and their bandmates — written some of the biggest hits in Fleetwood Mac's songbook.
McVie was behind songs like "Think About Me," "Songbird," "Don't Stop," "Save Me" (with Eddy Quintela), "Everywhere," "Hold Me" and "Little Lies" (with Eddy Quintela).

Buckingham — who was also named one of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone in 2011 — was the creative force on "Go Your Own Way," "Never Going Back Again," "Tusk," "Second Hand News" and "Can't Go Back."

He counts "Big Love" as one of his favorites to write — though choosing a favorite is hard.

"It was a band ensemble song, the way it was originally conceived and executed," he said.

But over time, it's also found a role as a single guitar piece as well.
"It continues to represent what one might call the high water mark of a style of playing I revere and want to put out there as what I do," Buckingham said.

It shows how a song can evolve, he added.

Solo projects like those he and McVie have taken on — as well as their duo project — are a big part of Fleetwood Mac's success. The band helped Buckingham launch his solo career, but his solo projects have helped him better work with the band, he said.

Often when a band turns out a hit — like Fleetwood Mac's album "Rumours" — their audience begins to expect them to follow a set of formulas.
But Fleetwood Mac took some risks with "Tusk," their next album, and it panned out, Buckingham said.

"That has led me to be wary of painting myself into a corner," he said.
Smaller projects like solo albums or "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie" help each of the band members continue to grow and stretch their musical and writing talents.

"That's what they represent, the ability to keep taking risks," he said.
The variety and chance to work on independent projects has been a change from the party lifestyle and "soap opera" of Fleetwood Mac's early days, Buckingham said.

Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac in 1987, and McVie stopped touring in 1991, though she did continue to record with the band for a time. In 1997, the band re-formed with Buckingham on-board ever since, but McVie soon left again, retiring for several years.

When she rejoined in 2014, the band made her promise she'd stay this time, Buckingham said with a chuckle.

Despite their trials over the years, the band remains close, he said.
"The family that is the five of us, this unlikely group of people to be in the same band together ... that's kind of what makes it work," he said.
It's a sentiment McVie echoed in a press release about the tour.
"Lindsey — and everyone in Fleetwood Mac — really has been my big, beautiful, crazy family, and I missed them, I missed making music with them. I missed their company," she said.

Buckingham and McVie will tour through the end of the month, and then Buckingham will be back at work on other projects.

"I'm pretty much done with another solo album. As of now, that is scheduled to come out as of January," he said. If his tour with McVie is extended, that could be pushed back, he added.

But it won't be the end of his collaboration with McVie and the rest of the band.
"Fleetwood Mac is planning on going out again," he said — maybe as early as next year.

The Wallflowers will be opening for Buckingham and McVie.

[with a risk of attracting more social meida hate from TL members who do not seem inclined to start threads themselves, posting the article that popped up in my feed. folks certainly do love to hate on TL all over social media, don't they?]

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.recordnet.com/entertainme...g-tour-to-lode

Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac bring tour to Lode

Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckhingham of Fleetwood Mac perform Friday at Ironstone Vineyards. [COURTESY]

By Lori Gilbert
Record Staff Writer

Posted at 4:36 PM
Updated at 4:36 PM

For 16 years, Christine McVie lived in self-imposed exile.

The keyboardist/singer/songwriter of Fleetwood Mac grew tired of living out of a suitcase and inexplicably, developed a fear of flying.

“I didn’t think about flying but toward the end, I started to think like some air stewardesses. They get the yips after so many flights and think, ultimately, one is going to go down,” McVie explained in a telephone interview. “I had the feeling every time I was on a plane everyone was going to die. It was a horrible phobia. A stupid one.”

Nonetheless, it helped drive McVie to quit Fleetwood Mac in 1998, buy a manor house in Kent, England, and become a homebody, devoted to refurbishing the place that dates to 1664.

“I spent five years or so restoring it, tile by tile, brick by brick, lovingly restoring the wood,” McVie said. “I think if I knew how damaged it was, I wouldn’t have bought it. It took an arm and a leg.”

If you go
What: Fleetwood Mac members Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie performing songs from their new duet album as well as classic Fleetwood Mac songs.

When: 8 p.m. Friday.

Where: Ironstone Vineyards Amphitheatre, 1894 6 Mile Road, Murphys.

Tickets: $55-$250 available through Ticketmaster.

And once she was done, she had a beautiful place but no one but herself and her dogs to enjoy it. Her friends were working in London. Or living in Los Angeles. Or touring as Fleetwood Mac without her.

She decided her isolated life was unhealthy, and rejoined Fleetwood Mac for its 2014 “On With the Show” tour, which indirectly, led to her current project with Lindsey Buckingham. The two recorded “Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie,” an album released in June that Rolling Stone has deemed one of the top 50 albums of 2017, and the duet is on tour promoting it.

They make their only Northern California stop Friday at Ironstone Amphitheatre, performing new songs as well as favorites from the Fleetwood Mac catalog. Tickets range from $55 to $250 and are available through Ticketmaster.

That McVie and Buckingham, the guitarist/singer/songwriter, worked on this project as a duet hasn’t ruffled the feathers of their bandmates. Drummer Mick Fleetwood and bass player John McVie, — Christine McVie’s ex-husband — played on the album, and all five members, including Stevie Nicks, reunited at Dodgers Stadium last week for a two-day musical celebration with The Eagles, Steely Dan, Journey, the Doobie Brothers and Earth, Wind and Fire. They’ll repeat the show in New York next week.

Next year, the five will embark on another Fleetwood Mac tour.

This summer, though, is the first-ever pairing of just McVie and Buckingham.

The combo came about when McVie overcame her fear of flying and decided she’d had enough of being a homebody. She was in contact with Fleetwood, and after he’d visited London, she returned with him to his Maui home, never thinking twice about being on an airplane.

“In Maui I played with Mick’s band, did a couple blues shows and got the bug again,” McVie said. ”‘What would it be like to rejoin the band?’ I ask laughingly. Mick said, ‘Crikey, Chrstine, are you serious?’ We had a conference call and everyone loved the idea, and that was that. That was the beginning of the carnival.”

Actually, to ease her way back into touring after a 16-year-absence, she started writing some songs at her piano and sent them to Buckingham.

“He started playing with them, putting them in order,” McVie said. “I went early to Los Angeles to rehearse for the world tour. I went to meet up with him and he said, ‘Why don’t we go into the studio and reconnect on that level. We hadn’t played together in 15 years. Let’s see if the magic is still there.’ It might easily not have been.”

Not a chance. McVie’s writing credits include “Don’t Stop,” “Songbird,” “Over My Head,” “You Make Loving Fun” and “Say You Love Me.” Buckingham penned “Go Your Own Way,” “Second Hand News” “The Chain” and “Tusk,” among others.

Neither time nor distance could diminish that talent, and together they’re a creative force.

“I get bored with myself, just me and the piano,” McVie said. “What I really love about Lindsey is the way he produces me. I sit in the back of the studio on the couch and and I don’t really have my hands at the board. My ears are really good. I’m a good listener. I enjoy what he does, and he doesn’t do anything without my approval. I just love the way he layers my songs. I like the way we work together. I enjoy being with him in the studio.”

And, she’s enjoying being with him on this tour.

“It’s going great,” McVie said. “It’s scaled down from the comeback tour. It’s family-oriented. We have the same crew and everything around us. It’s lovely. We’re doing a lot of outdoor shows and we’re loving them.”

Contact reporter Lori Gilbert at (209) 546-8284 or lgilbert@recordnet.com. Follow her on Twitter @lorigrecord.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

from the soundcheck earlier today -

Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wish You Were Here from soundcheck

Old 07-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

she sounds quite good. And it confirms what I heard.. she is playing a very basic chord or two on the synthesizer.

I love this part from the interview:

“What I really love about Lindsey is the way he produces me. I sit in the back of the studio on the couch and and I don’t really have my hands at the board. My ears are really good. I’m a good listener. I enjoy what he does, and he doesn’t do anything without my approval. I just love the way he layers my songs. I like the way we work together. I enjoy being with him in the studio.”

Sometimes I just have to wonder if someone in their respective camps checks in on this forum to see what we're nattering about. LOL
Old 07-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
she sounds quite good. And it confirms what I heard.. she is playing a very basic chord or two on the synthesizer.

I love this part from the interview:

“What I really love about Lindsey is the way he produces me. I sit in the back of the studio on the couch and and I don’t really have my hands at the board. My ears are really good. I’m a good listener. I enjoy what he does, and he doesn’t do anything without my approval. I just love the way he layers my songs. I like the way we work together. I enjoy being with him in the studio.”

Sometimes I just have to wonder if someone in their respective camps checks in on this forum to see what we're nattering about. LOL
It isn't the first time (although I haven't been a member for a long time, I've been lurking around for quite some time) that we say something here and we got a reaction on the other side confirming or denying it.

It seems she truly adores working with Lindsey. So refresh to hear this kind of recognition instead of the usual "he doesn't respect my work" we heard for so many years.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default review

lots of nice photos if you click on the link - http://rocksubculture.com/2017/07/23...review-photos/

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie at Ironstone Amphitheatre | Murphys, California | 7/21/2017 (Concert Review + Photos)
JULY 23, 2017 BY JASON DEBORD

“That was a beautiful and circular moment…” Lindsey Buckingham talking about Christine McVie coming back to the world of Fleetwood Mac in 2014 – after a 15 break from the band – and then the two of them working on a new album together. That album, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie, was released to much acclaim last month. Now touring together as a duo and playing a fairly even mix of old and new, the pair put on an amazing performance at Ironstone Amphitheatre at Ironstone Vineyards on Friday night. Of all of the dozens of shows I’ve personally seen at the venue, this one might be my all-time favorite.

Who: Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie
Supporting: The Wallflowers
Venue: Ironstone Amphitheatre at Ironstone Vineyards
Where: Murphys, California
Promoter: Richter Entertainment Group
When: July 21, 2017
Seating: (house photographer)

Richter Entertainment Group’s Summer Concert Season at Ironstone Amphitheatre in Murphys is about halfway done at this point, with concerts spread out across June, July, August and September. The venue has already hosted Toby Keith, Boston, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, John Mellencamp, The Moody Blues, and Jason Mraz, with matchbox twenty, Counting Crows, Steve Miller Band, Peter Frampton, Willie Nelson, Kenny G, and George Benson yet to come.

Richter Entertainment Group assembles an eclectic mix of musical artists, styles and genres every year, all benefiting from the state-of-the-art concert facility with top quality sound and lighting to placed each artist in the spotlight to showcase their music.

The amphitheatre features traditional assigned seating in the section directly in front of the stage, with a vast area behind that is designated general admission and allows patrons to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets with an opportunity to find the best spot from which to enjoy the show.

The greater setting of Ironstone Vineyards is stunning a beautiful – one of the rare concert venues where you can show up hours early and just take in the scenery, do some wine tasting, as well as have a stellar meal.

Learn all the details about this year’s concert line-up and where to buy tickets on the official REG website at www.richtergroup.net.

Photos throughout the article are split between me and my wife, Shelley (her photos are watermarked with our Pixel Dust Moments photography business logo)…

The Wallflowers
Members:

Jakob Dylan (vocals, guitar)
Steve Mathis (bass)
Lynn Williams (drums)
Jimmy Wallace (keyboards)
The Wallflowers was formed in 1989 by childhood friends singer-songwriter Jakob Dylan and guitarist Tobi Miller. Jakob Dylan remains the lone original member. Their self-titled debut album was released in 1992. They released a total of five albums before going on a hiatus to pursue other projects in 2006, with Bringing Down the Horse in 1996 being their most popular.

The band reunited in 2012 and put out their sixth album, Glad All Over.

The band won two Grammy awards in 1998 – for “Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal” and “Best Rock Song” for their song “One Headlight”.

Jakob Dylan is the sole remaining original from the band, and his appearance on stage on Friday night really lit up the crowd, with many standing and cheering as the band built up momentum up through the end of their set.

Below are some photos of The Wallflowers performing on stage (scroll downward and photos will begin to appear – click any image to open a virtual lightroom with higher resolution versions of each photo):

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie
Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie are of course famously members of the most popular line-up in the history of Fleetwood Mac.

Fleetwood Mac have been touring frequently in the past several years, and Christine McVie returned to the stage with them in their “On With The Show” tour in 2014 (see past Rock Subculture review). As a result of this reunion, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie joined together this year to record their first album as a duo. They released their album – Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie – last month, and it features ten original songs. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie collaborated with them in the studio as well.

You can learn all about the new album on their official site at www.buckinghammcvie.com.

Fleetwood Mac, in it’s mid-70s forward incarnation, is the band that should have never been. Originally a 60s-era British blues band, the addition of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks had to have been fate, as there is no other real plausible explanation.

As wonderfully revealed in Dave Grohl’s Sound City documentary, it was nothing short of a bizarre accident that Keith Olsen (Sound City’s engineer) played Mick Fleetwood a track from Buckingham Nicks – “Frozen Love” – which was recorded at the retrospectively famous recording studio… and that Lindsey Buckingham just happened to be in the studio working at that moment. With Fleetwood Mac looking for a new guitarist, Lindsey Buckingham and then girlfriend and recording partner Stevie Nicks were a package deal, and music history was made.

The newly restructured band recorded their eponymous album together, which reached #1 in the U.S. and sold over 5 million copies. The follow-up, 1977’s Rumours, bowed countless hits, was awarded a Grammy for Album of the Year, and has sold nearly 50 million copies worldwide, making it the third highest-selling album of all time. The biggest tracks were “Go Your Own Way”, “Don’t Stop”, “Dreams”, “The Chain”, “Gold Dust Woman”, and “You Make Loving Fun”.

Tusk, the 1979 double album follow-up, was more experimental and long, clocking in with 20 tracks, and included more hits (“Tusk”, “Think About Me”, and “Sara”).

Though not as commercial or critically successful, 1982’s Mirage was a favorite of mine… at the dawn of the MTV era, I remember the video for “Hold Me” being in heavy rotation for a short period, at least. Of course, “Gypsy” remains one of their biggest hits.

1987’s Tango in the Night was the last album with the core line-up of Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks. Again, another album with fantastic songs like “Little Lies”, “Big Love”, “Everywhere”, and “Seven Wonders”. Afterwards, Lindsey Buckingham left the band and was replaced with other guitarists for the decade that followed. Stevie Nicks also left the band in 1991, and the line-up did not perform together again until requested to do so by then President Bill Cliniton for his 1993 Inauguration Ball.

The band had a proper reunion in 1997 to record a live concert for the live album The Dance. In 1988 They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Christine McVie then retired from the band and touring with Fleetwood Mac until 2014.

I have seen Fleetwood Mac a few times (with and without Christine McVie) as well as one of Lindsey Buckingham’s incredible solo shows a few years ago. This special show is certainly one that I will never forget. Even with the absence of the other members of Fleetwood Mac, it served to highlight and augment the gifts of Lindsey and Christine, and highlight the special signatures each bring to the Fleetwood Mac songs. But the new music was just as spectacular, and showcased the duo in new light.

The show started as an acoustic set with just Christine and Lindsey on stage as they played through two Lindsey Buckingham songs and two Fleetwood Mac songs. Both bring so much raw yet focused energy and passion to life with their performances. This mini set really showcased their vocals and delivery.

Afterwards, they moved into the balance of the show with their full touring band, who were remarkable in their own right. I was especially impressed with the work on the drums. Just incredible.

The lighting for this show was spectacular – the best stage lighting I’ve seen this year – no contest. They were well lit with nice color and contrast and mood that fit each song. Huge props to the lighting technician(s)/designer(s).

Following a section of new material, they went through three Fleetwood Mac covers with “Hold Me”, “Little Lies”, and “Tusk”.

I was thrilled with “Hold Me”, as it was one of my favorites as a kid (and maybe isn’t among the top choices of most fans) and it sounded amazing. My one quibble with the original studio recording was that it didn’t seem to know how to end, and they seemed to solve that old puzzle with their live performance of the song.

One of the more interesting songs performed was “Little Lies”, which is known for blending the vocals of Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks in the chorus. The backing band filled in for Nicks in the main sections of the song, and they elected to leave Nicks’ chorus out in the performance, which actually worked wonderfully in a weird way. Not an approach I would have thought of but I think it had an interesting effect.

I was honestly never a big fan of “Tusk”, but it actually sounded really great with this rendition of it at Ironstone.

At one point in the show, Lindsey shared some thoughts about the two of them and how they came together to make the new album:

One of the things that really blew our minds when Christine and I got in the studio, was that on paper this was a great idea that we had, but I think we both wondered, once we got together and started the process, would we be able to pick up the thread? Would we still have the tools that we had, the dynamic that we had, the chemistry that we had? All that time before? And, as it turned out, all of that – the dynamic, the chemistry – the whole creative process for the two of us was somehow better than ever.

So I thought about that and tried to figure out why that was be the case, because it seemed to me that probably the opposite would be more likely. And the theory that I came up with is that when you look at people – most people – who have been doing what we have been doing for as long as we have been doing it… many, many artists begin to sort of chase the brand, if you will, perhaps doing very much what is expected of them, and stop feeling like there’s so much of an appropriate need to take risks and to define oneself as an artist who keeps moving forward by taking risks.

If you look at Christine’s journey during those 15 years and my journey as well, they were very different but there was one thing in common. Now she had left the band to really just make a clean break from the life that she had been living for many years before that and went on a journey of self-realization, of self learning and really confounded everyone’s expectations; did it on here own terms. You know, it’s hills and valleys. And if you look at my situation, even though I did not leave Fleetwood Mac, really, I was able to really concentrate for much of that time on solo work, which was much smaller scale, which was where you continue to be able to take risks and to define yourself as an artist. So I think we both had this thread of really doing things on very much our own terms, so when we came back together, it really showed I think in the synergy we were able to find.

Christine and Lindsey seem to have remarkable chemistry together, as well as a great deal of respect and admiration. With some of the songs in which Christine took the lead, Lindsey would literally step back in an effort to let her shine (you don’t see this a lot in rock and roll).

Hopefully this isn’t a one off effort with recording new material and touring it, as the duo compliment one another really well.

As I mentioned, this was probably my all-time favorite show at Ironstone, and I wouldn’t be surprised if others feel the same way.

Set List:

Trouble (Lindsey Buckingham cover)
Wish You Were Here (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Shut Us Down (Lindsey Buckingham cover)
Sleeping Around the Corner
Feel About You
In My World
Too Far Gone
Hold Me (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Little Lies (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Tusk (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Love Is Here to Stay
Red Sun
You Make Loving Fun (Fleetwood Mac cover)
I’m So Afraid (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Encore:

Everywhere (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Lay Down for Free
Game of Pretend
Below are some photos of Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie performing on stage (scroll downward and photos will begin to appear – click any image to open a virtual lightroom with higher resolution versions of each photo):