The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default U2 and Christina Aguilera Cancel Concert Tours, opening the door for The Eagles

Published May 25, 2010 by:
Ron Hart

An Older Band Cancels Because of Medical Issues, a Newer Act Can't Sell Tickets While a Band Wrapping it Up Has a Last Gasp
The summer concert season was turned upside down today, as mega group U2 and solo star Christina Aguilera canceled their tours.

U2 canceled their shows due to their lead singer Bono's injured back while Christina Aguilera claimed that her work on two upcoming projects, a film called Burlesque, and her upcoming album, Bionic, did not leave enough time for her to rehearse fully for the tour.

While it has been well documented that Bono needed recent emergency back surgery and that U2 remains a very strong draw on the concert circuit, skeptics are saying that Aguilera's decision may have more to do with weak ticket sales than anything else.

With the economy struggling, and with music fans now consuming music in a very different fashion than they did twenty and thirty years ago, the future of the concert business is very much in doubt.

There remain a handful of huge concert draws, including U2, Bruce Springsteen, the Eagles, and some country acts. In many ways, though, Bono's injury only serves to underscore the fact that major concert draws are ageing quickly and the days of the mega-concert based on one band, much less a solo artist, may very well be drawing to a close.

Even the Eagles, arguably the biggest overall concert draw over the past fifteen years, have had to cancel concerts this year as their fan base ages. Recent announcements on the cancellation of Eagles shows, in which they were supposed to appear with the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban in both Philadelphia and Hershey, Pennsylvania have come with no explanation. Weak ticket sales are the only really plausible explanation, it would seem.

Historically, concerts were mostly means to promote albums and new music. But as the rock and roll generation aged into their peak earning years, concert ticket revenue for some elite acts actually surpassed album sales as a source of profits for big name rock bands. But as these acts aged and as the old music industry business model splintered, even the newer acts have been forced to look for other revenue streams.

With U2 cancellation, and with Bruce Springsteen on the sidelines this summer, the remaining 'dinosaur' concert tour is the Eagles. While their ticket sales seem to have been tepid to date, undoubtedly the U2 cancellation will help move, at least, incrementally, ticket sales in markets, such as New York City, where the Eagles and U2 were competing for the concert ticket dollar.

But as all of these acts age, the future of concerts beyond 2010 remains very uncertain.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rts.html?cat=2
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Has Ron Hart heard of Roger Waters?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Roger Waters?
I should be in Tampa for this show. But I won't be. Darn!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Published May 25, 2010 by:
Ron Hart

An Older Band Cancels Because of Medical Issues, a Newer Act Can't Sell Tickets While a Band Wrapping it Up Has a Last Gasp
The summer concert season was turned upside down today, as mega group U2 and solo star Christina Aguilera canceled their tours.

U2 canceled their shows due to their lead singer Bono's injured back while Christina Aguilera claimed that her work on two upcoming projects, a film called Burlesque, and her upcoming album, Bionic, did not leave enough time for her to rehearse fully for the tour.

While it has been well documented that Bono needed recent emergency back surgery and that U2 remains a very strong draw on the concert circuit, skeptics are saying that Aguilera's decision may have more to do with weak ticket sales than anything else.

With the economy struggling, and with music fans now consuming music in a very different fashion than they did twenty and thirty years ago, the future of the concert business is very much in doubt.

There remain a handful of huge concert draws, including U2, Bruce Springsteen, the Eagles, and some country acts. In many ways, though, Bono's injury only serves to underscore the fact that major concert draws are ageing quickly and the days of the mega-concert based on one band, much less a solo artist, may very well be drawing to a close.

Even the Eagles, arguably the biggest overall concert draw over the past fifteen years, have had to cancel concerts this year as their fan base ages. Recent announcements on the cancellation of Eagles shows, in which they were supposed to appear with the Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban in both Philadelphia and Hershey, Pennsylvania have come with no explanation. Weak ticket sales are the only really plausible explanation, it would seem.

Historically, concerts were mostly means to promote albums and new music. But as the rock and roll generation aged into their peak earning years, concert ticket revenue for some elite acts actually surpassed album sales as a source of profits for big name rock bands. But as these acts aged and as the old music industry business model splintered, even the newer acts have been forced to look for other revenue streams.

With U2 cancellation, and with Bruce Springsteen on the sidelines this summer, the remaining 'dinosaur' concert tour is the Eagles. While their ticket sales seem to have been tepid to date, undoubtedly the U2 cancellation will help move, at least, incrementally, ticket sales in markets, such as New York City, where the Eagles and U2 were competing for the concert ticket dollar.

But as all of these acts age, the future of concerts beyond 2010 remains very uncertain.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rts.html?cat=2
It's not so much that as people really don't want to spend $200 f*cking dollars for concerts anymore.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
It's not so much that as people really don't want to spend $200 f*cking dollars for concerts anymore.
No, its not that. Both Roger Waters & the Carole King/James Taylor '10 tours have many tickets priced $200+, and both tours are massive successes- primarily because they are unique events.

Eagles' tour year in and year out- with exorbitant ticket prices- with little to nothing compelling to appeal to anything but the casual fan- who has likely already seen them & been there/done that by now.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel so bad for Bono; I have a bad back myself, so I know how painful it can be. I love U2, but I wasn't going to see them this year anyway.

As far as Christina goes, there has been some speculation that she washed up & sales for her concerts aren't going so good. When she tours next year, it'll be at smaller venues. I don't know if I personally would ever go to see her live. She's alright though, & I don't think she's washed up, JMO.

Wouldn't go see the Eagles, etc. either. Not too into country music.

Lee
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
As far as Christina goes, there has been some speculation that she washed up & sales for her concerts aren't going so good. When she tours next year, it'll be at smaller venues. I don't know if I personally would ever go to see her live. She's alright though, & I don't think she's washed up, JMO.
She needs a producer who can rein in her melisma & a management team who can convince her that slutting it up (both wardrobe/material) isn't the best image to go with moving forward. She has some actual talent to work with. If she wants to sell albums/move concert tickets, she should follow the Susan Boyle/Michael Buble route (in terms of song choice)... because the general public obviously saw right through her warmed-over Lady Gags-lite garbage single (which went over like a lead balloon... album might get scrapped too)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She needs a producer who can rein in her melisma & a management team who can convince her that slutting it up (both wardrobe/material) isn't the best image to go with moving forward. She has some actual talent to work with. If she wants to sell albums/move concert tickets, she should follow the Susan Boyle/Michael Buble route (in terms of song choice)... because the general public obviously saw right through her warmed-over Lady Gags-lite garbage single (which went over like a lead balloon... album might get scrapped too)
The albums already leaked...
Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
No, its not that. Both Roger Waters & the Carole King/James Taylor '10 tours have many tickets priced $200+, and both tours are massive successes- primarily because they are unique events.

Eagles' tour year in and year out- with exorbitant ticket prices- with little to nothing compelling to appeal to anything but the casual fan- who has likely already seen them & been there/done that by now.
I agree.... You can't keep doing the same thing year in and year out with no breaks and expect the same.... from the same markets. Do a big tour.... Take a big break, or change it up big time!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow thats to bad about Bono,And I know to about back problems myself.I alway like U2 tunes.Eagles I always like probably because of their the backbone of southern rock music which I love,But they have to come down to earth with those 3 digit ticket prices,I cant imagine what would the tickets would be if they play at the Foxwoods MGM here in Connecticut.They probably would be $250 dollars after comparing Stevie's $135.00.For Christina ,I'm not into her music,but shes cute.As an Eagles country tour,yes I'm for it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016