Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face First Time Flying

My dad and I are vacationing in Sanibel, Florida in middle-end May, and of course we'll be flying. I have never flown before, and was just wanting to get your experiences on the matter. I am looking forward to it- not too nervous, just curious I guess!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What exactly do you want to know? Have any of your friends flown?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, you've never flown before Ethan? I love it - the whole atmosphere and the fact that you're flying over the world. Make sure to bring gum so you can pop your ears! My dad always makes fun of me because i'm the only one in the whole flight who gets excited about the teeny tiny turkey sandwich they give you on Continental Flights...hehe, they're sooo good! The only thing i don't like about flying is the landing. I always feel like the plane won't stop and we'll crash, but it's fine! Have fun on your trip!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love flying, I really do.

When I was a little kid my Dad had two single-engine Cessna propeller planes - he paid for them by renting them out to people over the weekends, etc. Then the prices of both the airplane fuel and the insurance went up much higher at the same time, that he pretty much had to get rid of them at that point. But it was awesome while it lasted.
We also have a small airport near my house - both for propeller planes and small jets (up to about 727s, I guess). Sometimes the noise is a pain but for the most part, it's sort of "hand-in-hand" with loving planes. Sometimes I STILL get a kick out of watching them take off! One thing's for sure, when you're actually on the plane, you learn what real power is. Not this whimpy stuff like Chevrolet Corvettes or Mack Trucks - - - These engines have some SERIOUS power that they can deliver!!!

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 04-27-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love flying!

My first flight was in 2005 (I was 15) and it was direct from Houston to Honolulu.
That's a nine hour flight so you can imagine I was pretty nervous. But it turned out I loved it!

I like being in small spaces, eating little pretzels (and yes, those turkey sandwiches on Continental are so good!) and listening to music/reading. No really, I do.

I fly quite a bit, and the only thing I hate is how you're not on your own schedule. I'd much rather drive somewhere than fly there because I can leave when I want, stop when I want, take as much luggage as I want, etc.
But I like it and Continental has been good to me these last couple of years.

If there's some turbulence, I wouldn't recommend looking out if your seat is the window seat right behind the wing. You see the wing bouncing around and it kind of makes your stomach upset. At least it did for me haha.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unlike a lot of things in life, your first time is almost always the best. Flying is still exciting at that point and not just a hassle that you have to go through to get to an end goal. Enjoy it while it lasts!
You're so like me
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was 14, almost 15 when I went on the first flight I remember. (I had been in a plane before but was only 2) I loved flying! I would easily get carsick so I hated it when we had to drive long distances. I didn't feel sick at all in the plane. Once we were up,I could barely even tell we were moving. It was a long flight (West Virginia to Oregon) but I really enjoyed it.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, before I forget, here's a couple of tips - - -

1.) Don't forget to bring I.D. Sounds silly to mention it, I mean, I know it's probably obvious - - - But still, if you do forget it, you could end up totally screwed. And make sure you don't lose it while you're down there, because that could cause a REAL hassle for the flight back.

2.) Think a bit carefully about how many bags you're going to bring, and what size and weight. These days, of course, there's restrictions on how many carry-ons you can have, and they're starting to charge for those. And I believe they're charging based on the total weight of all your bags, as well. So maybe look it up for your specific airline on the net, and see if you can save some money there. (1 large bag instead of 2 smaller ones, for example - - stuff like that.) And really, do be careful about putting valuables in your luggage. 5 or 6 years ago, my parents had gone on a plane trip, and they both put their new cell phones in their luggage. I had kind of cautioned them against doing that. Well, it turned out I was right - - - One of them had their cell phone stolen out of their luggage.

3.) I think maybe they've relaxed about it a little bit; but just the same, the earlier you get there, the better. 2 hours before the flight leaves might not be such a bad idea. And remember to leave time for traffic when driving to the airport.

4.) Remember that these days there's restrictions at times concerning "moving about the cabin," as they say. Translation: Don't drink too much coffee and soda, etc., you might be trapped in your seat for more than an hour, unable to use the bathroom. That would spoil the fun of the flight for you.

5.) DEFINITELY try to get a window seat if you can! ....
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love very few things more than flying. I seriously adore plane flights. I look forward to them more than the actual trip most the time.

Then again, I'm extremely strange.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

I fly all the time, but I resent just about everything regarding air travel. The combined monotony/lack-of-consistency amongst the TSA security checkpoints in this country is a major buzzkill right there. As for the actual flight experience- if I could have even a couple inches more legroom and a slightly bigger seat (and don't say "first class"- such a ripoff), I'd fly a whole lot more. US Airways is on my ****list these days, but that's not appropriate here (may/may not be a JTIS, not sure)

But the actual physical experience of flying? Unless you have a pre-existing phobia, no big deal. It is, in 2010, pretty unusual to be ~20 and flying for the first time, though. Why did it take you so long to explore the world outside Kentucky? (ironically, my very first airplane flight- in 1987- was to Kentucky. Ha!)
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first time I flew I hyperventilated and was handed a paper bag lol. I flow several times after. It's a bit scary at first, but then traveling is so much faster flying, so I do prefer it to long car rides.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered

With how infinitesimally rare air fatalities are, I think it takes a pretty massive ego to think/assume/fear that your plane- the one you're on- is going to crash. At some point, there's an element of ego involved, even if its on a subconscious level. Get over yourself!

(and, ILoveFM- this shouldn't be taken as a direct response to you- its just more an addendum of what I was saying before )
Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
With how infinitesimally rare air fatalities are, I think it takes a pretty massive ego to think/assume/fear that your plane- the one you're on- is going to crash. At some point, there's an element of ego involved, even if its on a subconscious level. Get over yourself!

(and, ILoveFM- this shouldn't be taken as a direct response to you- its just more an addendum of what I was saying before )
Well the first time I flew it was to New York and I was so terrified to fly there after 9/11. After take off, I was able to relax and enjoy the flight. I've had bad experiences with flying, but I don't hate it. It's really cool to see the world from that height.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveFM View Post
I flow several times after.
Well they always say "go with the flow" so I think he'll be safe and sound.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Unlike a lot of things in life, your first time is almost always the best. Flying is still exciting at that point and not just a hassle that you have to go through to get to an end goal. Enjoy it while it lasts!
My thoughts precisely!

The magic has really worn off for me (Ireland to Australia does that to you) and I hate taking off but I love landing. I don't know why, but I love the moment of hitting the ground and the ferocity and roughness of it.