User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jeremy Spencer's Amazon.com list

Hi folks!

I did a search on Jeremy Spencer at Amazon.com ... planning to buy the reissue of "Flee". (Sorry Jeremy! I know you're not very pleased with that album, but I still gotta have it! )

Well, the search revealed a list of music that Jeremy recommends:

"The Sun Is Shining" ~ The Sky Is Crying: The History of Elmore James, Elmore James

This one stopped me in my tracks at 16 years old and motivated me to just want to play slide. When I first heard it, I could not believe my ears.

"Like a Prayer" ~ Like a Prayer, Madonna

She got my attention in a store in Brazil one day with this recording on her The Immaculate Collection album. She sounds positively heavenly on this one!

"Life for Rent" ~ Life for Rent, Dido

A deeply thoughtful song, gently and subtly produced to showcase what I feel is important.

"Angeles" ~ Shepherd Moons, Enya

Another heavenly one that helps me to look up.

"So Many Things" ~ Eden (US Release - 16 tracks), Sara Brightman

A very dreamy, wistful song that appeals to my Cancerian nature! Beautifully sung and produced with tasteful Spanish guitar and just the right amount of string padding. As you probably notice by now, I like to hear girls singing like angels!

"I Can't Quit You Baby" ~ Essential Collection: The Classic Cobra Recordings 1956-1958, Otis Rush

This original recording from 1956 is a prime example to me of those blues musicians playing and feeling the music together by magic. It's almost "orchestrated," the way they make room for each other. And Otis's vocal and guitar is tops, of course.

"Gone" ~ Ferlin Husky - Greatest Hits, Ferlin Husky

I like the melody and passion of this recording. And it's interesting to know that this track influenced the Nashville studios' country sound for years to come.

"Dust My Broom" ~ Blues Masters: The Very Best Of Elmore James, Elmore James

Of course! Another example of a good backing and "breathing" with the main artist. I still listen and marvel at this one.

Pachelbel: Canon in D

Vivaldi: Winter (from the Four Seasons)

Not being a strictly classical music fan, I am moved by the simplicity and emotion of these two pieces.

[Among the recordings available at Amazon.com are Pachelbel's Greatest Hit: The Ultimate Canon, Pachelbel Canon, and Pachelbel's Canon · Handel · Vivaldi · Gluck / AAM · Hogwood of the Pachelbel; and Vivaldi - The Four Seasons / AAM · Christopher Hogwood, Vivaldi: The Four Seasons, and Vivaldi: The Four Seasons; Violin Concertos of the Vivaldi -ed.]

"Let's Have a Party" ~ Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson

She may not sing like an angel, but I wore this single out as a 12-year-old. Just the right easy-going, yet powerful pace of good '50s rock and roll.

I thought it was interesting to read. A few surprises... I knew about Elmore (of course), Otis, Madonna and Dido. Also I was expecting to see Abba on the list.

Daniel