The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's Show Some Love For... Mystery To Me!

Lucky me, my import orders for HAHTF and MTM came through a few days ago. I collected them on Saturday, and I've already played each album three times! They're both simply amazing albums! I'd go so far as to say that MTM was flawless! So let's hear it for MTM!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Lucky me, my import orders for HAHTF and MTM came through a few days ago. I collected them on Saturday, and I've already played each album three times! They're both simply amazing albums! I'd go so far as to say that MTM was flawless! So let's hear it for MTM!
Actually the three albums (if you include Penguin) are the best three albums Fleetwood Mac has ever produced. Ever. End of story.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Actually the three albums (if you include Penguin) are the best three albums Fleetwood Mac has ever produced. Ever. End of story.
I'm surprised to hear some praise for Penguin. At least, I think I'm supposed to be surprised...
I love "Did you ever love me", which I heard on (Selections from) 25 Years - The Chain. If all of the songs on Penguin are of that quality, then I see no good reason to give it anything other than the highest accolade!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear some praise for Penguin. At least, I think I'm supposed to be surprised...
I love "Did you ever love me", which I heard on (Selections from) 25 Years - The Chain. If all of the songs on Penguin are of that quality, then I see no good reason to give it anything other than the highest accolade!
Well I love Penguin, but then there is a lot of what I call "Dave Walker Hate" out there which tends to cloud people's judgement of Penguin. I've bashed my head against the wall over this matter so many times I've given myself concussion.

I think that Heroes is better than Mystery to Me which in turn is better than Penguin. The white album and Rumours were only a logical progression of this, and probably suffered for the lack of Welch on those (Buckingham out, Welch in - I can dream can't I?).

In fact Bob Welch was the consistent factor on those three albums, much more so than on Bare Trees or Future Games, his songs were consistently good. Even Christine produced some great songs (and coming from me that is a big compliment).

Oh yes but then on Penguin we have Dave "The Voice" Walker and The Derelict. Universally criticised and one of my favourite FM songs...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that Heroes is better than Mystery to Me which in turn is better than Penguin. The white album and Rumours were only a logical progression of this, and probably suffered for the lack of Welch on those (Buckingham out, Welch in - I can dream can't I?)..
Live at the Roxy has "Gold Dust Woman" with Bob Welch in place of LB and CM (in case you didn't already know)...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I enjoy both Mystery To Me and Penguin. I am sorry to say that I don't care much for Dave Walker's vocals (sorry Chris!!) Penguin is good as a whole though. Even if I don't care for certain songs, I still wouldn't want them to be changed because then it wouldn't be the same album.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Live at the Roxy has "Gold Dust Woman" with Bob Welch in place of LB and CM (in case you didn't already know)...
Yep already knew - and it is nice to see/hear those little bits of Stevie and Bob together (as with Cal Jam 2 as well), in my opinion a much under-rated combination. You can't go past Devil Wind from Three Hearts as the ultimate Bob/Stevie combination though...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I enjoy both Mystery To Me and Penguin. I am sorry to say that I don't care much for Dave Walker's vocals (sorry Chris!!) Penguin is good as a whole though. Even if I don't care for certain songs, I still wouldn't want them to be changed because then it wouldn't be the same album.
You just aren't trying hard enough are you?

Oh and apparently the boys from the current Dave Walker Band are trying to get Dave onto the internet - so I'll try to encourage them to get him to come over here and see how much love there is for him!

Last edited by chriskisn; 01-25-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You just aren't trying hard enough are you?
I promise, I've been trying since 1989. His vocal still hasn't grown on me.