Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Lindsey's videos

Anyone know how many solo videos Lindsey has made? I know of Trouble, Go Insane and Countdown, but I'm assuming that others were made (Soul Drifter? Wrong?)

I had the misfortune to download a copy of the Trouble video from WinMX last night. What a terrible video to accompany a great little song. Just a white room with two lines awkward-looking guitarists and drummers (inc. Mick Fleetwood), and Lindsey pouting ridiculously. That's it. Whoever directed it shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near a video editing suite.

Anyone seen the Go Insane video? I saw Countdown on a video stream, and that's great. Pity it's not downloadable though.

Simon
Old 08-07-2002, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Trouble
It Was I

Holiday Road

Go Insane
Slow Dancing

Wrong
Countdown
Soul Drifter
Don't Look Down

I think that's all of them. Am I forgetting anything?
Old 08-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the worst video by ANYBODY, EVER is "It Was I"
What a stinker. Lindsey sounds like Donald Duck and looks pretty bad (if you can believe that) I think it is the way he is standing in many of the shots, poking his stomach out or something...

I was kind of embarrassed for him while I was watching it.

On a much more positive note, however, "Slow Dancing" is sublime........Love it!
Old 08-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow salumith...

I totally agree, Slow Dancing is greatness!!! "The kiss" is so AWESOME!! *imagining self in place of ghost girl* LOL

My fave videos of Lindsey's are Slow Dancing and Countdown. He is having a BLAST during Countdown!!
Old 08-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
Well the worst video by ANYBODY, EVER is "It Was I"
What a stinker. Lindsey sounds like Donald Duck and looks pretty bad (if you can believe that) I think it is the way he is standing in many of the shots, poking his stomach out or something...

LOL!!! You're right. It is pretty bad. And he sounds so weird. How about Go Insane? I like the dancing skeletons and when his head spins around. LOL.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 08-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Trouble:
This video is very simple...Mick is in this video and its probably the only one people really seem to remember, except for Go Insane. But Lindsey dons his Johnny Cash gear and looks sexily into the camera...this time of his career he always seems to be playing...knowing he could be sex symbol or a total rock crazy man and he seems to be standing on that line, never willing to go either way here. Same with SNL performances...I never quite can get what he's trying to portray other than the music itsself. But its a good video, I give it a B+

It Was I:
I don't like Carol Ann, and she is in this video in the end . I just don't like her. The video was very cheaply done I believe but its cute and the song is cute. I give it a C.

Go Insane:
This video has special effects and probably took alot of money to take. Lindsey was pushing the insane factor here big time and also trying to make a state of the art video..and you can tell in 1984 it was probably just that. He looks ok, the eraser do was never HOT but him curled in a ball in jeans IS hot hehehe. I give this a B

Slow Dancing:
Lindsey was on a high on the success of GO INSANE so he got the good director and made SD. He envisioned using a glass bed but instead he draws on his sex appeal, gives sexy looks into the camer and makes out with a Stevie look alike in the end. The song is so good and the making out is enough to make the whole video a A+!!!!

Holiday Road:
This is a nice video...it has a concept and Lindsey wears a suit. The song is very good and catchy and the video ( once you get a good quality of it) is to. I give it a B

Countdown:
Some people really like this video. I think he looks too skinny in this video personally. Its VERY Lindsey 1992...it just oozes his style. It was made in his backyard I believe and its just him , a man in his 40's doing music and being himself...he disses the sex symbol crazy rocker and just acts like himself. B

Wrong:
I love this video! It has a whole story line, Lindsey dresses up in different characters and its just awesome. No making out but his acting and tight jeans give it a A+

Soul Drifter:
Beautiful arty video. Lindsey looks like a model in his short parts. He really is just very toned down here...not really performing...just mouthing the words. Its just wonderfully done. I give it a B.

Don't Look Down:
Ahhh, Lindsey in 1993. Weight gained, hair longer and on tour and happier than ever. He looks so happy and joyful! He dances and acts very playful and LOOKS great in his shades and black jacket. A purely YUMMY videos that gets a A+ for sure!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Trouble has a certain so silly it's almost charming factor going for it. At least for me.

I actually rather like Go Insane. Interesting ideas. It fit the song and it fit Lindsey at that point in time. Sort of high tech (for the time) effects, and him in his jeans and "technicolor dreamcoat."

I quite like all of the OOTC videos. Wrong and Countdown capture Lindsey's totally goofy sense of humor. Soul Drifter lacks any real focus, but it's very pretty. Don't Look Down is a favorite for all the reasons Janet mentioned.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Lindsey's videos...

1. Trouble - Boring video but Lindsey expressions are PRICELESS!! Gotta love that "come hither" look! LOL

2. It Was I - Good gravy, this is the chessiest video EVER, and I agree, why is he sticking his stomach out? He's too funny sometimes!!

3. Go Insane - Interesting video for an interesting song...love the "I'm in a box, help me"....snow... thing at the end!!

4. Slow Dancing - I LOVE this video...sigh....just wish he had lower hair is all.

5. Holiday Road - THOSE BLUE EYES!! AAHH!!! He's so adorably sexy in an office-y, serious, goofy sort of way. LOL

6. Countdown - I have only seen this one on Launch.com, but I'm gettin a copy soon (thanks John!!!) and it is AWESOME, love how he is having fun in this one!!

7. Wrong - I am gettin this one soon also....can't wait to see it, I've seen clips on VH-1 and I've heard cool things about it!!!

8. Soul Drifter - This is a very "classy" video...he looks so good in it!!

9. Don't Look Down - Gettin this one soon too...can't WAIT!!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default But where to get them?

How did you get to see these videos? I keep checking WinMX, but only the Trouble video is ever available.

If anyone's up for a trade, then post me a message. I gotta see 'em!
Old 08-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default GREAT THREAD!

I love Lindsey, but he is so over dramatic in the early videos (like the second to the last "Ahhhh" in the "Trouble" video). I completly understand your sentiment, Sulamith, about feeling embarassed for him. But you have to remember this is the early days of video and these things were often done on a shoestring. But speaking of the "Trouble" video...(tee hee)

Did anyone else ever notice (and you need a good clear copy of the video to see it, not one of these 6000th generation copies) in the "Trouble video during the last "I should ariiiiii-ive, on the double" when he says "double" he kind of spits on his own chin! The "sexy" dragging his teeth over his bottom lip right after it is him slurping it up off his chin! I noticed this on a copy I got about 15 years ago. Guess they didn't have another take in the budget!

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 08-09-2002, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ldfgln cjgoyupngm............

Oops!!
Sorry!
I fell on the keyboard during a huge belly laugh!

I gotta go check that out.
Although my copies are far from clear!
Also, we had a thread earlier about videos where we were ragging poor Linds-babe about not being able to lip-synch. I guess this is just further evidence of his problems in that area.

I know alot of the early videos by anyone were not real inspired and were done low-budget, but Linds was also in this real pared-down creative vibe at the time. It started with his music on Tusk, and ran right over into Law & Order. I just figured he wanted the vids from that to be real stripped-down as well. His interviews from the time seem to have him lamenting about not being able to do things according to his creative vision.

Well, there's alot to be said for a little "spit" haha! and polish, because he sure cleans up well in some of the later efforts!

Unfortunately, in the MTV age, the visual eye candy that goes along with a song can make it or break it. There are some very bland songs that have great videos and vice-versa. I think in the early days it was hard for some of the already existing rock stars, like FM, to make the transition to the visual of the music.

Lindsey only seems like he is comfortable or having a good time in the performance vids. In all of them except Slow Dancing (ahhhh) he seems a little lost without that guitar, or even when he has it and he is fake-playing.

I love him best when he isn't attempting to "act" anything out.

Just give the man the guitar and let him play. Roll the camera. That's perfect!

Oh, and brass monkey, if no one has PMed you yet about getting videos, most of us have traded with other people who have copies. That's one reason we all have, like Sugar said, 6000th generation versions!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I seem to remember some interview of Lindsey's in which he comments that he either doesn't like videos or thinks they're silly because of the lip synching or something like that.

My all time favorite is Don't Look Down - it's a perfect Lindsey video and a great song. He's very natural and comfortable, as is his little band . . .and they all look like they're having a great time!

Barbara
Old 08-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Actually...

I like all the OOTC videos. I think there's a world of difference between his other solo videos and the OOTC videos. In the older videos he seems so pretentious, over-dramatic, he's just trying to hard! A lot of posing and posturing. Anything but natural.

But all the OOTC videos (especially "Don't Look Down" and "Countdown") he seems free, goofy, and natural. Like a man finally at ease in his own skin.

And besides, who doesn't love a barefooted Lindsey?

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 08-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The problem with Lindsey's early videos is because the music video itself was in its early stages. To say that the Trouble video now, or the It Was I video or any of the other early Lindsey videos are bad now is easy to say. We're spoiled with all of this technology and stuff that that's what we expect in a video nowadays. But back then, with a new format and a new art, people weren't sure what to do. That's one of the reasons why Trouble is so simplistic.
Now if you fast forward to 3 years later to the Go Insane video. Most anybody who watches that right now would most definately say that it's a cheesy video and to a degree it is, but at the time it was groundbreaking (it was a nominee along with Slow Dancing for a few MTV Video Music Awards.) Camera tricks like that with Lindsey looking in each of the boxes and all of that stuff hadn't been seen in the genre before. 3 years later, Big Love. Again, another video that probably would be termed "cheesy" today, yet, it's another groundbreaking video. And probably the most unappreciated thing about the video is the camera work in it. The editing is seemless and the camera movement is fluid. It pulls out from shot to shot and takes you through the entire thing until the end.
My point is, yeah, Trouble isn't a GREAT video but let's appreciate it, along with all of Lindsey's/the Mac's/Stevie's videos for the small contributions they gave to the music video we know of today.

Matt
Old 08-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Aw, C'mon, I appreciate everything Mac or I wouldn't be here.

Now, you can't tell me that even LB hasn't popped in a copy of Trouble or It Was I and had a good old laugh at least once.
It's like looking at your Prom picture 20 years later and thinking "Holy Crap, what was I thinking?!"

If you can't have a sense of humor about these things, then where is the fun in life?

None of us meant to belittle any contributions.

I'm sorry, but those early vids are a hoot!