User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Until those FKRs add Bob Welch, under FM's addition, they can suck it!

Don't get me started!

And, until LEON RUSSELL gets in, NOBODY should go in...nobody deserves to be in the R&RHoF more than Leon (of those not already in, that is...and even a ****load of them aren't as worthy as Leon...can you say "ABBA"? "Run-DMC"? "Grandmaster Flash"?)...if not as "performer", then at least as "sideman".

Look, without those '50's rockers, there wouldn't have BEEN '60's rockers, and so on. That said, where is the "Rock & Roll Trio"? Johnny & Dorsey Burnette/Paul Burlison. They're as deserving to being in the Hall as the rest of the '50s guys.

Oh...and jaycee, Frank Zappa IS in already....doubt that the entire MOI would get in.

And, the most disgusting thing of all is that Jann Wenner himself is in the Hall....what a self-grandizing crock o'crap THAT guy is.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Donna Summer? Now, this may just be because I don't know much of her music... but, I thought she was some Disco Queen? Not Rock?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Donna Summer? Now, this may just be because I don't know much of her music... but, I thought she was some Disco Queen? Not Rock?
Donna has actually won a best rock vocal Grammy, possibly two, and has also won Grammy's for Inspirational (gospel) vocal, and I believe in yet another category, but I agree with you that 'rock and roll' is not what one would think of when thinking of Donna Summer. The same goes for Billie Holiday, who is in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and Holiday died in 1959 and never sang a rock song. I wonder if Donna will actually make the cut this year.
I think Donna's rock category Grammy wins were for 'Hot Stuff' and for 'Protection' (edit: wrong; nominated, didn't win for 'Protection')- which Bruce Springsteen wrote for her circa 1982, which shows there was some support for her rock endeavors. She may have also had a rock vocal nomination for 'Cold Love'- I should google this, but that's off the top of my head, such as it is!
Edit: I have some of the above info wrong, this should be correct, below. She has won five Grammy Awards and has had a total of 17 nominations.

Grammy Wins for Donna Summer:
1979 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Last Dance
1980 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Hot Stuff
1984 – Best Inspirational Performance, He's a Rebel
1985 – Best Inspirational Performance, Forgive Me
1998 – Best Dance Recording, Carry On

Twelve Other Grammy Award nominations, for which she didn't win:
1979 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), MacArthur Park
1980 – Album of the Year, Bad Girls
1980 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), Bad Girls
1980 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Dim All the Lights
1980 – Best Disco Recording, Bad Girls
1981 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), On the Radio
1982 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Cold Love
1982 – Best Inspirational Performance, I Believe in Jesus
1983 – Best Rock Vocal Performance (Female), Protection
1983 – Best R&B Vocal Performance (Female), Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)
1984 – Best Pop Vocal Performance (Female), She Works Hard for the Money
2000 – Best Dance Recording, I Will Go with You (Con te Partiro)

--It may not be an accident that Donna recently (in the past 2 months) released a new single 'Love From Paris' and did a handful of concerts to up her chances at this year's nomination. I think she received a nomination last year also for the R&RHOF but didn't make the final cut.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-01-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Laura Nyro is one of my favorite singers, but she is far from rock. I say good luck to Alice.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
YES!~ I think Fleetwood Mac are much more interesting musically than Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Roy Orbinson combined. I mean no offense, but most rock music pre-1964 just hasn't held up, to my ears.
I guess 'rock and roll' started in the 50's, but the best of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s rock - when it was good- now seems timeless, while much of the 1950's rock seems 'quaint'- to me.
I personally like Fleetwood Mac more than Chuck Berry and Little Richard
combined. But that wasn't my point. Who's more important in the history
of Rock 'n Roll was more what I was getting at. Those artist in the 50's changed
the world, most especially Elvis. And you could extend that to the mid 60's
to a lesser degree with other artist.

And as far as the 50's music sounding quaint, I can remember when the
group Kiss was new. And I thought their music sounds so hard rock. But now
when I hear them it's not much different than some Rock music from the 50's.
You can't take people out of their time and be fair judging them by todays
sounds.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Registered

You can't take people out of their time and be fair judging them by todays
sounds
>>>wrote the formidable iamnotafraid

Iamnotafraid, I agree with your above quote, because it sounds very true and really deep, but I feel like I'm tripping when I try to understand what the ef it means, even though it sounds like it makes sense!

I don't even know what I think of today's sounds. I can't remember much of the 1960s, little bits here and there, my memory bank really seems to kick in around 1973, when I was 9. So, I can appreciate 60s, 70s ,80s,and 90s music equally, but wasn't alive in the 1950s, so maybe you mean I'm taking people like Chuck Berry out of their time? That could be true. But how can one take another out of their time? I just meant that I don't think his music has endured, though his foundation has.
I was maybe a year old when the Rolling Stones starting getting big, and certainly can't remember 'Mother's Little Helper'' or even 'Gimme Shelter' being hits, but they sound awesome and timeless, even if I was teething to "Mother's Little Helper"- or 'Satisfaction'
I'm open to music of all times and types, but haven't connected with 50s songs, yet--Though, if Keith Richards was as inspired as he seems to have been by Chuck Berry, I guess I get the rewards of what Berry inspired in performers I like.
I should've pasted your entire message, sorry! It was interesting and even enlightening, if enlightenment and confusement can coexist. I never hear Chuck Berry or Little Richard on the radio. Fleetwood Mac are still on the radio all the damn time with all the same damn songs,- so, I think maybe they've culturally had a more enduring legacy than Chuck Berry or Little Richard, but maybe you meant without CB or LR, FM wouldn't have had the chance to make a larger impact than their elders?
I know that you know what you're talking about, so don't think I'm disputing you.
Maybe the people that you mentioned were the initial architects, and that's the point I missed? But their buildings (the songs) don't seem to be standing anymore, so could the later generations-- The Stones, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and beyond- u2? - be the ones who have left the enduring monuments that now have surpassed and outlasted what I not generously called the "quaint" foundation?
Oh, and KISS sounds the same way KISS has always sounded- Like sh*t!!
They were all about makeup, light shows, smokebombs, warped showmanship, impressive codpieces and a massive tongue. I don't have anything against any of those things! Or against them, even. KISS endured a long time, so they had something people liked.
You initially asked if Fleetwood Mac could compare to any of the people on your shortbread. shortstack. shorthairs.
NO, SHORTLIST, that's it!
I think that nobody is as good as The Stones were, they're "it" for me, even more than Fleetwood Mac.
But they don't have a Ledge!
Goodnight, Sir. "Yie-yie- yie- yie"*-- that's 50s music... Hate that song.
*that's called 'Little Darling", maybe?

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-02-2010 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: Just some 4:15 am dumb fun. Um, Dumb to have 4:15 fun
Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Registered

Nikolaj -

Whether individuals feel like something still "stands up" today isn't quite the point, in my opinion. You might not hear a Chuck Berry song on the radio as often as you hear "Go Your Own Way," but his influence on rock music as a whole cannot be denied. I mean, they don't call Chuck Berry the father of rock n' roll for no reason - he was one of the pioneers, from lyric structures to guitar licks that are now standards to stage presence.

Without people like him, we wouldn't HAVE much of the music we each now treasure in our own ways. You don't have to personally enjoy the music to be able to acknowledge and appreciate the influence and reach it has had, but I do feel like not acknowledging that influence or reach is a big no-no. That IS an enduring legacy. It will last far past the time he's dead, and far past the time all of those musicians he influenced and that came after him are dead, because he helped lay the foundation, and everyone else keeps on building.

I mean, if we rely solely on current radio airplay, Justin Bieber should go straight to the head of the line, and I don't know about you, but I'd personally rather slam my head in a door than see that happen.

Also, Chuck Berry still sells out venues at the young age of 83. I'm willing to bet not all of those seats are occupied only by people in their 80s, so his music is still touching people even after his heyday and even if they're not hearing it on the radio constantly.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered

^
Great points, Zombie! I agree- with both you and i.a.n.a.
Without those who gave us the roots of r&r, we could be- as Martin Scorcese once said, still be listening to music with the 'quality' of 'How Much Is That Doggie In The Window' which he said was his grim background while growing up until rock really exploded-- I like how MS has used Stones music in several films of his, then paid them back by directing the 'Shine A Light' documentary.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Oh...and jaycee, Frank Zappa IS in already....doubt that the entire MOI would get in.
I was expecting someone to quip that. Anyway, the albums Frank Zappa made with TMOI (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_Out!) were highly original and influential in many ways, and worthy (well, beyond worthy) of inclusion in the Hall Of Fame. It would be like crediting Lou Reed without The Velvet Underground.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't see the big deal about Little Richard or Elvis being the "firsts" to do what they did. If they don't eventually somebody else would've. Don't include them with the list of indictees that are somehow elevated above future inductees including but not limited to Fleetwood Mac.

I mean Elvis just ripped off much more talented black musicians anyway. The original Hounddog is the best example of him ruining a song. Like Nikolaj has already pointed out, the artists who emerged roughly 1962-64ish were trailblazers in making signifigant, memerable, truly great rock and roll, not just the first to "get that ball rolling" which is really what iamnotafraid, Chili and probably tens of thousands out there tend to overly glorify.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

I mean Elvis just ripped off much more talented black musicians anyway. The original Hounddog is the best example of him ruining a song. Like Nikolaj has already pointed out, the artists who emerged roughly 1962-64ish were trailblazers in making signifigant, memerable, truly great rock and roll, not just the first to "get that ball rolling" which is really what iamnotafraid, Chili and probably tens of thousands out there tend to overly glorify.
In this politically correct world the sentiment "Elvis ripped off more talented
black musicians" gets a lot of play. It's a result of our over the top correctness
to make sure that since Elvis was white he shouldn't get the credit he deserves.
If you had read or listened to as many interviews that Elvis gave throughout his
short life as I have, you'd find out he always gave credit where credit was due.
But you won't find that true from many black artist the other way around. And
that's due to pure bitterness and jealousy.

And to say Elvis ripped off blacks musicians almost gives him more credit
than just his own musical genius. So he was clever enough as a teenager to plot
out "you know when I'm 18 years old I'm going to steal all the best black music
and make it my own. And I'm going to add other influences like Country & Western
mixed with a little bit of Gospel. And then get Sam Phillips of Sun Records to record
it for me. It should only take about two years for a big record company like RCA
to pick me up as an artist. And I'll change the world...

John Lennon said "before Elvis there was nothing". That might be a little over
the top, but those artist from the 50's are the foundation of rock. And Elvis is
the cornerstone.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
Laura Nyro is one of my favorite singers, but she is far from rock. I say good luck to Alice.
She gets in for "Wedding Bell Blues" alone.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up ****in' A!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
And, until LEON RUSSELL gets in, NOBODY should go in...nobody deserves to be in the R&RHoF more than Leon
I got your back on this one brutha...

Leon is an Oklahoma institution (As much as Woody Guthrie, Roger Miller, Charlie Christian, Wanda "The QUEEN of Rock" Jackson, Pattie Page and many other talented Oklahomans in music are considered), and if the Crock & Blow Hall of Sham doesn't see it, then to hell with 'em...keep on being a glorified tourist attraction moreso than a real hall of fame such as the ones in Canton & Cooperstown.

At least us Oklahomans honor our own, as Leon is a 2006 inductee into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in my hometown of Muskogee:

http://www.omhof.com

Oh, and on November 12th Leon is playing the BOK Arena with Sir Elton John, wanna guess who will get the bigger ovation that night, Sorry Sir Elton....The admission would be worth it just to hear Leon possibly do his signature version of "the Rainbow Station" 97.5 KMOD's (Before it became a Clear Channel crap station) former title track "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

Edit: and if funk/hip hop artists are allowed into THAT hall (Which should be more accurately titled "The Music Hall of Fame"), then how about ANOTHER Oklahoma legendary group, from the legendary GREENWOOD District of Tulsa ( http://digital.library.okstate.edu/e...s/G/GR024.html ) The Gap Band: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_Band

For the record, the Gap Band invented the who 'izzle fanizzle' thing on a track back in the late 70's/early 80's, long before Snoop Dog was even around...Their classic "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" is the B-O-M-B!!!! Thank God, my Mom liked funk music.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 10-07-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Where the hell are Stevie, Linda Ronstadt & Heart? enough said.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartboy View Post
Where the hell are Stevie, Linda Ronstadt & Heart? enough said.
In there with some of the other members of Fleetwood Mac?

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr