Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Jumping at shadows

The boston performance of this track in my opnion features the finest electric blues performance of all time. I have never heard a better blues guitar solo, sheer genius.
The solo to me it sounds so sophisticated for a blues, peter´s timing, dynamics, choice of notes blow me away, wes montgomery would have been proud of this!

I know crossroads by clapton and whatever srv tune get plaudits but they dont come close to this.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Ledgie

I couldn't agree more. But which version do you refer to? disc one or disc three? They are both amazing, but I have always been partial to disc three, it's a liitle more "in your face"... I have heard four live performances of this song, all are great, all are different, the BBC sessions is also a standout.

Evan
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Disc 1, i remember i had it on vinyl years ago an album just called flletwood mac live, i was always in awe of it.
The solo almost feels like its composed it so perfect, obviously its improvised but there is no fat on it, no showboating just pure genius!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

I agree with you both as I always loved Jumping at shadows live, I suppose I'm a bit partial but to me the live performances of this song recorded at the boston tea are awesome and I prefer them to the duster bennett original. I can also say that the worst version of this song I've ever heard is the one by Gary Moore (i think it was on the after hours album). How can such a great song sound so so boring??????

But to me the best blues solo in the world is the one Pete made on the live performance of I've got a mind to give up living at the Warehouse. Every time I listen to it I get shivers down my spine and I get close to tears. It's just...mindblowing.

When I listen to it i always think how come someone so young be so special, and different as Pete was. How can someone make me feel so much without saying a word. To me, it's the highest peak of Peter's magic. To me.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the master at work

Peter was absolutely at top form in boston and both versions had their special something.

I too, though was on the floor when I heard him do "The Letter" at the Warehouse.

another close second for sheer simplicity is "Before The Beginning" at the shrine auditorium
"Shrine 69"

doodyhead
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Debate oh yeh!

Cool i was hoping to get other peoples idea what they think is best, i Don´t have the warehouse recordings, whats the name of the disc please?
I´m dead keen to hear stuff i´ve not heard before and to have my opnion changed .

And Mr doody i agree the shrine 69 before the begining is outstanding, another great disc with sublime playing.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Ledgie

Default Jumping at Shadows

Greenmanastrat,

I am pretty sure that the Fleetwood Mac Live track that you mention is from one of the Boston Tea Party recordings, probably night one. I've heard that album sometime in the distant past, but when the Tea Party recordings were finally remastered and released in 1998, I was amazed at the difference in sound quality. Check out this release if you get a chance, as I said previously, both versions are stunning.

As for the Warehouse recording of I've got a mind to give up living mentioned by Aida: This is my favorite Peter Green Bootleg, the other two bootlegs of this song are now on Youtube. I think one was recorded at the Filmore West in January 1969, and the other in Sweden in early 1970, supposedly just after the infamous Munich incident. I like them all, the version that was recorded in Sweden is probably the darkest of the three, but the Warehouse recording is impossible to beat. For me, it has the geatest guitar solo that I have ever heard in any genre.

Evan
Old 07-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

Default Dead Bust Blues

Greenmanastrat,

I forgot to mention that the version of I've got a mind to give up living that Aida spoke of is from a bootleg recorded on January 31st 1969 at the Warehouse in New Orleans, known as Dead Bust Blues. The title refers to a concert given by Fleetwood Mac on night three 02/01/69 to help cover the legal costs of a Greatful Dead drug bust. It is difficult to find but does appear on Amazon.com from time to time. I have looked in vain for other sites to download this song from, when a copy finally became available on Amazon it was selling for $65.00 Canadian, with shipping it cost me over $85.00 but was worth every cent. This song is also known as The Letter, and All Over Again.

Evan
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Ledgie

Default Dead Bust Blues Revised

Sorry Greenmanastrat, the dates that I listed for Dead Bust Blues should be 1970 not 1969, I better quit while I'm ahead.

Evan
Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All Over Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post
Greenmanastrat,

As for the Warehouse recording of I've got a mind to give up living mentioned by Aida: This is my favorite Peter Green Bootleg, the other two bootlegs of this song are now on Youtube. I think one was recorded at the Filmore West in January 1969, and the other in Sweden in early 1970, supposedly just after the infamous Munich incident. I like them all, the version that was recorded in Sweden is probably the darkest of the three, but the Warehouse recording is impossible to beat. For me, it has the geatest guitar solo that I have ever heard in any genre.

Evan
My favorite was always the 31/1 1970 Warehouse version of All Over Again. But inspired by the recent posts on this thread I have just listened to the Stockholm 1/4 1970 version - and that is ALSO out of this world! More fluid somehow but extremely painful. I tend not to listen too much to the bootlegs of lesser quality sound, but in this case it doesn't matter. I can now hear that it is the the singing that is distant, not the guitar(s). Danny does a very good job backing him on this one...Pure Bliss

Ms Moose
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Junior Ledgie

"I can now hear that it is the the singing that is distant, not the guitar"

If this is the song from Stockholm that I'm thinking of then the singing is so distant and muffled I've never been 100% sure what the actual song is! The guitar is certainly loud and clear, and becomes too loud and distorted at one point before the recording levels are turned down, does this sound like the same track?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post
"I can now hear that it is the the singing that is distant, not the guitar"

If this is the song from Stockholm that I'm thinking of then the singing is so distant and muffled I've never been 100% sure what the actual song is! The guitar is certainly loud and clear, and becomes too loud and distorted at one point before the recording levels are turned down, does this sound like the same track?
I think so. It runs at 07:21. Do you hear the turning down of levels at the beginning?

Ms Moose
Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks Ms Moose

The recording level drops near the start of the solo, and then the magic begins...

To use the term "mind-blowing" is not exagerating here, this solo goes beyond just good guitar-playing! It's so good I actually think it's unfair on anyone else who's ever 'tried' to play guitar!

Possibly if Greeny does ever doubt his guitar skills he'd do well to check out live examples like this and Jumping At Shadows, Before The Beginning, BMW etc etc etc etc!!!

JonsonP
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post
Thanks Ms Moose

The recording level drops near the start of the solo, and then the magic begins...

To use the term "mind-blowing" is not exagerating here, this solo goes beyond just good guitar-playing! It's so good I actually think it's unfair on anyone else who's ever 'tried' to play guitar!

Possibly if Greeny does ever doubt his guitar skills he'd do well to check out live examples like this and Jumping At Shadows, Before The Beginning, BMW etc etc etc etc!!!

JonsonP
Yes it is beyond any other guitar sound ever made and it cannot be imitated. A lot of the FM bootlegs are full of these gems! They are beautiful even when the sound is rubbish!

As we have dicussed before on The Ledge - common to a lot of really gifted people, Peter Green is ALWAYS in doubt about his guitar skills, so IF Peter Green checked out his former guitar soloes, he would probably find that he made "too many mistakes". This is the comment he usually makes in interviews to baffled journalists who just don't believe their own ears. It is SO frustrating and heart-breaking that PG won't - or can't - recognize and accept this gift of his.

Ms Moose
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

"he would probably find that he made "too many mistakes"

Yes very true, although the "mistakes thing" is purely a technical way of looking at it, and as we all know the best guitar-playing is anything but technically perfect

JonsonP