The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What was the first music you bought?

What was the first music you bought? Singles and albums (and anything inbetween).

I think I was about 12. My mum took me shopping and while we were out she gave me money to buy some single records of my choice. I bought;
  • Europe: The Final Countdown
  • Bon Jovi: Living on a Prayer
  • Debbie Harry: French Kissing in the USA
  • Huey Lewis & The News: Hip to be Square
  • Status Quo: You're in the Army Now

Tango In The Night was my parents record but I secretly loved it. I put it on the Midi HiFi everytime they left the house. Eventually after I'd played it 500 times I had money to buy my first album which was Rumours (cassette). I then bought Behind The Mask, followed (I think) by Fleetwood Mac (1975). I think my first non-Fleetwood Mac album was probably Road To Hell by Chris Rea.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an interesting thread!
If my memory is correct, the first 2 albums I owned were New York Tendaberry by Laura Nyro and Stand! by Sly and the Family Stone. The first single I owned was Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells (I don't remember what songs are on the B-side though). And the first 2 albums I bought was Tapestry by Carole King and Pearl by Janis Joplin.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 05-16-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was 13, and I used my Christmas money to buy "Rumours" which had just been released. Thus my lifelong love affair with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first album i bought, and my little story from 1977

I had just arrived home from school so i turned on the radio, tuned into the groovy station, they had just announced that after the commercial break they were going to play 3 or 4 songs from this new album called Rumours. I stopped in my tracks when the first song came on called Dreams, i loved the hypnotic beat and THAT VOICE whoever that was, had me captivated.. The next day i begged mum for my early pocket money, fortunately we lived just around the corner from this tiny little bootleg record shop ,called JB HI which is now a multimillion company here in Aust.
i wagged school the next day and listened to the album on repeat all day, studied the photos and tried working out who was who, Stevie and Lindsey in particular. I invited my 6 or so friends to come to my house at lunchtime the following day to listen to this amazing new album by a band called Fleetwood Mac.. My Dads stereo was one of the best you could buy at the time, as he loved listening to his Jazz records, he had a huge collection which i hated.. So while he was at work we blasted Rumours, we learnt the words and sang them with hairbrushes in hand our pretend mic's, lol.. I saw them live in concert a few months later, but that's another story.. No other band has impacted this level of appreciation, and love to this day..

Last edited by Aussie W/Heart; 05-16-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No It wasn't FM. Don't LOL at me. I think it was Olivia Newton John 's Have You Never Been Mellow single and later her earlier stuff . I got her album with the same name for my birthday from my mother in 1975.Others follow like ABBA,Elton John and others.I still have the records in my collection.I used to enjoy listening to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on the radio in the 1970's and 80's and hearing the stories that Casey had about the artists and bands.The 1970's and 1980's shows are currently rerunning on radio stations around the world. check your local station to see if they air it .More info on this forum that I belong too . http://at40fg.proboards.com/.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 05-17-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
No It wasn't FM. Don't LOL at me. I think it was Olivia Newton John 's Have You Never Been Mellow
I hope its not sexist of me to say she was (and still is) such a babe.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of ONJ, The Grease soundtrack was one of the first albums I played relentlessly, that along with Abba Super Trouper, I must have been around 5 or possibly younger
The first single I remember buying for myself was Cyndi Lauper Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and the first Album was maybe True Blue Madonna (possibly something else before then, but I had a lot of music bought for me so it's hard to remember). I LOVED my eighties pop music.
I didn't listen to FM until I was about 13 when my parents bought the Greatest Hits.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:56 PM

I was 13 or 14, I bought Nevermind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
What was the first music you bought? Singles and albums (and anything inbetween).
Elvis: Burning Love And Hits From His Movies Vol. 2.

This album came out in 1972 and I picked it up sometime in '73
at a local K-Mart. RCA slapped his #1 hit on an album of movie
songs from the 60's. What a concept. Still it went multi-platinum.

As I think I've written before. My mom gave me a choice that day
in '73. Toy gun or Elvis record? I chose wisely.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Oh dear. I think it was Wham! Or Madonna. I bought them on cassettes in 1985.

I didn't even like Fleetwood Mac back then or Stevie's solo work. Took time to discover them.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was 11 when I got my first record with my own money:

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 05-29-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first album I remember buying was Donna Summer's Bad Girls.
When I got my Walkman I bought The Police's Ghost in the Machine and Rick Springfield's Working Class Dog.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
The first album i bought, and my little story from 1977

I had just arrived home from school so i turned on the radio, tuned into the groovy station, they had just announced that after the commercial break they were going to play 3 or 4 songs from this new album called Rumours. I stopped in my tracks when the first song came on called Dreams, i loved the hypnotic beat and THAT VOICE whoever that was, had me captivated.. The next day i begged mum for my early pocket money, fortunately we lived just around the corner from this tiny little bootleg record shop ,called JB HI which is now a multimillion company here in Aust.
i wagged school the next day and listened to the album on repeat all day, studied the photos and tried working out who was who, Stevie and Lindsey in particular. I invited my 6 or so friends to come to my house at lunchtime the following day to listen to this amazing new album by a band called Fleetwood Mac.. My Dads stereo was one of the best you could buy at the time, as he loved listening to his Jazz records, he had a huge collection which i hated.. So while he was at work we blasted Rumours, we learnt the words and sang them with hairbrushes in hand our pretend mic's, lol.. I saw them live in concert a few months later, but that's another story.. No other band has impacted this level of appreciation, and love to this day..
Loved this recollection but I'm sure that doesn't surprise you.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first album I bought was the BEN soundtrack album cause I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson song.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely revealing my age a bit here but I think the first CD I bought for myself was L.A.M.B. by Gwen Stefani. Early 2000s pop...