Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't know why so many are making a big deal Stevie flubbed lyrics. It would not be a Stevie concert unless she did this. My first Stevie concert in 1983 had her sing the second verse of Dreams first and improvise so many other lyrics. Its part of how she performs. My all time favorite Stevie flub was her Concord, CA Timespace show where she sung the last verse of Outside the Rain over and over for the first and second verse. Then in the end she launces into her first verse. I don't know how but her band kept up with her. Blame it on the klonopin haze or not.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Nice..

We are all getting older, too. I love this for whatever weird reason.

Even though I enjoy watching the videos of the present band, I also really miss Lindsey so I kinda get this review.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Do the same thing? Post negative reviews of Lindsey's shows? In the Lindsey forum? i don't see anyone do that.
Exactly. I rarely even go there.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I don't know why so many are making a big deal Stevie flubbed lyrics. It would not be a Stevie concert unless she did this. My first Stevie concert in 1983 had her sing the second verse of Dreams first and improvise so many other lyrics. Its part of how she performs. My all time favorite Stevie flub was her Concord, CA Timespace show where she sung the last verse of Outside the Rain over and over for the first and second verse. Then in the end she launces into her first verse. I don't know how but her band kept up with her. Blame it on the klonopin haze or not.

Agreed, it’s very common for her to mess up lyrics but I think this was a first. Her stopping the song in the middle basically and explaining why she’s lost. Not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s just a first, unless one of you can a pull a clip of it happening before out of your ass (and I’m not ruling that out)

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Agreed, it’s very common for her to mess up lyrics but I think this was a first. Her stopping the song in the middle basically and explaining why she’s lost. Not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s just a first, unless one of you can a pull a clip of it happening before out of your ass (and I’m not ruling that out)
During the first night of the taping of the Dance MTV special, Stevie messed up during Dreams and had to start over, and she said in an interview later that it was due to nerves because of all the celebrities in the audience.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac paid tribute to its varied incarnations at San Jose’s SAP Center on Wednesday, Nov. 21, and despite a few surprising flubs, the storied rockers commanded the crowd as if they never broke the chain.

The band, which has survived decades of shifts in sound, personnel and personalities, performed an almost 2½-hour set rich in the soft-rock standards that defined its commercial peak in the 1970s and ’80s, as well as blues tunes from its formative years and a few obscurities, during its 50th anniversary tour stop.

It was a set that, regardless of which Fleetwood Mac era fans came to see, hit every note. The show may not have won over those who miss singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, recently replaced in a move that divided classic rock lovers, but the tour that is likely to please longtime followers planning to catch Fleetwood Mac when the band plays Sacramento’s Golden 1 Center on Friday, Nov. 23, and Oakland’s Oracle Arena on Sunday, Nov. 25.

The San Jose concert was particularly special for singer Stevie Nicks, who turned 70 this year but hasn’t ditched her shawls or heels. A homecoming of sorts, Nicks took several moments to give the South Bay city a proper shout-out. Born in Phoenix, she attended San Jose State University and made some of her first recordings in the Bay Area.

“It’s pretty darn good to be back in my own specific and very special hood,” she said. “This is where it all started, and I had to take a minute to let you know that.”

Nicks, who has done decades of shows worldwide with the band as well as solo, said she was a bit nervous to be back in the Bay Area and even forgot the lyrics at one point to “Landslide.” Whether it was nerves or overfamiliarity with one of her most popular songs with the band, it was an odd moment from a normally polished singer.

“What’s happening? … I’ve lost the key,” Nicks admitted in the midst the song, which she dedicated to longtime friends (including one who used to drive her to the College of San Mateo for “two solid years, back and forth”).

“This is my home, so I can do this,” she laughed off. “Seriously, I’m so nervous I’m never coming back here!

“I’m kidding. I will always come back,” she assured the crowd. “This is when you know, after 70 years, that you still get this nervous when you sing a song for people that you love.”

With longtime singer-guitarist Buckingham fired amid reports of major bad blood with Nicks, his former lover he met when the two attended Menlo-Atherton High School, the band has been touring with Neil Finn of Crowded House and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty’s band, the Heartbreakers. Though neither had the manic magic that made Buckingham unstoppable onstage, they provided competent interpretations of Buckingham’s standards, with Finn handling the lead vocal in “Second Hand News” and “Monday Morning,” and Campbell tackling the frenetic guitar leads on “The Chain” and “Go Your Own Way
Neil Finn sings lead on songs popularized by Lindsey Buckingham during Fleetwood Mac’s show at the SAP Center.

The image
The band did a deep dive into its blues catalog, with Nicks providing a feminist spin singing “Black Magic Woman,” a haunting psychedelic gem later popularized by Santana; Finn dusting off “Tell Me All the Things You Do,” a melodic nugget from Danny Kirwan, a Fleetwood Mac member from 1968 to 1972 who died this year; and Campbell taking the spotlight on “Oh Well,” a powerful hard rock hybrid.

Nicks, even more of a focal point for the band with Buckingham out of the picture, gave the crowd what it wanted with “Dreams,” “Rhiannon” and “Gypsy.” She paid tribute to Petty, her frequent collaborator who died last year, with a spirited version of “Free Fallin’ ” featuring projected images of the two together and Petty with the Heartbreakers over the years.

Finn, whose solo career hasn’t received the attention it deserves after he created moody, melodic pop with Crowded House and Split Enz, took a deserved spotlight with a cover of “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” It was an unusual choice for a Fleetwood Mac concert, but it was well received — especially when Nicks joined in on the chorus.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood, still a solid player at 71 and probably the member who’s worked harder than anyone else to keep Fleetwood Mac together over the years, did his standard wild-man solo. Bassist John McVie kept his usual low profile but provided a solid foundation for the band. And keyboardist Christine McVie, who rejoined the band in 2014 after a lengthy semi-retirement, proved to be a grounding force with her smoky vocals on the mid-tempo staples “Little Lies,” “Isn’t It Midnight” and ”Everywhere.” She closed the evening with a duet with Nicks for the band’s third encore song, “All Over Again.” The deep cut is off the band’s poorly received 1995 “Time” album and is a song that only Fleetwood Mac’s die-hard fans remember — if at all.

McVie’s collaboration with Buckingham last year on an album of new material was such a pleasant surprise that it’s disappointing to know that Fleetwood Mac has no intentions of recording new songs again. New material could have taken away the sting for Buckingham fans who resent hearing the new guys covering songs he made famous. But as long as some form of Fleetwood Mac remains intact revisiting the band’s classic catalog, this incarnation passes the test.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mus...se-concert/amp

Last edited by kak125; 11-24-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the risk of feeding the troll.....I love that it somehow is wrong or surprising that people are fans of both the band AND some or all of the individual members. I hadn't realized that people weren't "supposed" to come into one forum or another if they'd expressed an opinion in a different forum.

I also am saddened but not surprised that the stans have taken over and we're in major snowflake territory-- anything that actually reports what happened at a concert-- in this case Stevie flubbed a few lines of a song -- is considered a negative review and therefore treasonous and should never have been mentioned because omg it shows our idol in a 'bad' light. Most people found the flub somewhat endearing. But sycophants think it's fake news and should never be mentioned because they're too fragile to handle reality. (btw, where's the outrage at the negative review of Mick's 'obnoxious' drum solo? Hmmm....) No one gives a sh*t if you posted a legit review from a legit newspaper in any forum. This whole site is meant to be a resource so people can use it to see articles and reviews or videos or whatever that they might have missed. Grow up.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-24-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
At the risk of feeding the troll.....I love that it somehow is wrong or surprising that people are fans of both the band AND some or all of the individual members. I hadn't realized that people weren't "supposed" to come into one forum or another if they'd expressed an opinion in a different forum.

I also am saddened but not surprised that the stans have taken over and we're in major snowflake territory-- anything that actually reports what happened at a concert-- in this case Stevie flubbed a few lines of a song -- is considered a negative review and therefore treasonous and should never have been mentioned because omg it shows our idol in a 'bad' light. Most people found the flub somewhat endearing. But sycophants think it's fake news and should never be mentioned because they're too fragile to handle reality. (btw, where's the outrage at the negative review of Mick's 'obnoxious' drum solo? Hmmm....) No one gives a sh*t if you posted a legit review from a legit newspaper in any forum. This whole site is meant to be a resource so people can use it to see articles and reviews or videos or whatever that they might have missed. Grow up.
I didn't get the sense this had anything to do with somebody writing about Stevie's flubbed lyrics in their review. It would be odd not to mention it, even in a positive review. I'm definitely one of those people who finds moments like that endearing, or at least interesting. Having seen so many shows, and so many performances of certain songs, it's actually kind of cool to have something make it memorable.

I agree that the site is meant to be a resource. All reviews should get posted, and the vast majority of them do. Kudos to the Ledgies who keep up with all the news and post it for the rest who don't have the time. But if you haven't regularly been posting reviews, but the one headlined "FM flops with LB" is posted less than 6 hours after the show's end, it's going to be perceived as selective posting and will probably be called out as a way to push people's buttons. I would expect no less if I did that in the Lindsey forum.

It's a band, fans are going to have their likes and dislikes, and all of this is magnified 100x in a band like FM with multiple singer/songwriters, not to mention a drummer with his own unique personality. I can't believe it's this hard to just read and post the things that interest you and ignore the things that don't. No one changes their mind because they're antagonized on the internet; if anything, they just dig their heels in deeper. See any discussion of politics as an example.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's about the ugliness of rooting for someone to fail. I'm not hoping that Lindsey fails. Quite the opposite in fact. And not everyone who posts here is a fan of every person in the band or the band overall. That has been made abundantly clear. I was probably one of the first to call out the sexism and misogyny and now I'm being called those very things which just underscores to me that people either have no idea what those things mean or have been so conditioned to ignore it they don't know what it is when it's standing right in front of them. People including the reviewer were thrilled about the non issue with Lanslide. Elle was thrilled to post a negative review. But none of you want to see Lindsey back in Fleetwood Mac either. There is no happy ending here for you. I never said who could or couldn't post somewhere, just that they were posting that review here for a specific reason. Are they going to post other show reviews here? Only if they're bad or if Kristen Buckingham wants them to.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 11-24-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I didn't get the sense this had anything to do with somebody writing about Stevie's flubbed lyrics in their review. It would be odd not to mention it, even in a positive review. I'm definitely one of those people who finds moments like that endearing, or at least interesting. Having seen so many shows, and so many performances of certain songs, it's actually kind of cool to have something make it memorable.

I agree that the site is meant to be a resource. All reviews should get posted, and the vast majority of them do. Kudos to the Ledgies who keep up with all the news and post it for the rest who don't have the time. But if you haven't regularly been posting reviews, but the one headlined "FM flops with LB" is posted less than 6 hours after the show's end, it's going to be perceived as selective posting and will probably be called out as a way to push people's buttons. I would expect no less if I did that in the Lindsey forum.

It's a band, fans are going to have their likes and dislikes, and all of this is magnified 100x in a band like FM with multiple singer/songwriters, not to mention a drummer with his own unique personality. I can't believe it's this hard to just read and post the things that interest you and ignore the things that don't. No one changes their mind because they're antagonized on the internet; if anything, they just dig their heels in deeper. See any discussion of politics as an example.
Exactly. I'm never going to think Lindsey didn't have a hand in his own demise with Fleetwood Mac. On the other side of that I don't think the people who hate Stevie are going to change their minds about anything. Its just the way it is. When you start calling people troll, stans or snowflake no one will be interested in the point you're trying to make either if that's really your goal. Not talking about you Mike.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 11-24-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
It's about the ugliness of rooting for someone to fail. I'm not hoping that Lindsey fails. Quite the opposite in fact. And not everyone who posts here is a fan of every person in the band or the band overall. That has been made abundantly clear. I was probably one of the first to call out the sexism and misogyny and now I'm being called those very things which just underscores to me that people either have no idea what those things mean or have been so conditioned to ignore it they don't know what it is when it's standing right in front of them. People including the reviewer were thrilled about the non issue with Lanslide. Elle was thrilled to post a negative review. But none of you want to see Lindsey back in Fleetwood Mac either. There is no happy ending here for you. I never said who could or couldn't post somewhere, just that they were posting that review here for a specific reason. Are they going to post other show reviews here? Only if they're bad or if Kristen Buckingham wants them to.
Where do you get that the reviewer was thrilled about what happened during Landslide? He merely reported on it, which is fair, and said Stevie didn’t have a good night. Also fair - he’s a reviewer. Another review posted in this thread has a different, more positive take.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Where do you get that the reviewer was thrilled about what happened during Landslide? He merely reported on it, which is fair, and said Stevie didn’t have a good night. Also fair - he’s a reviewer. Another review posted in this thread has a different, more positive take.
He wrote the headline. I don't have a problem with the review or the reviewer anyway. Like I said I was going to post it. Between Viv, Kak and I, we've managed to post all the reviews. Done talking about it now. Anyway they're in Oakland tonight and hopefully lots of good things to talk about with that.
Oh and to this guy:
https://youtu.be/-yVXI_AC5Xs
If you want to keep using bits and pieces of my posts from here on The Ledge the least you could do is credit me or write your own copy.
Rhiannon:
https://youtu.be/2qNVgVzglrA

DDIO:
https://youtu.be/ZP4t_4cNnN4

The Chain:
https://youtu.be/Pna8t_WpFiU

Dreams:
https://youtu.be/4VZ8WblEhys

Second Hand News/Say You Love Me:
https://youtu.be/7usiNqH_9Z0

Last edited by gldstwmn; 11-24-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Knew we could count on you, Elle. thanks a million for this.
you're welcome. and that's right. if i stumble on something that i think is informative to the fandom, i try to post it even if it's in forums i have no interest in (like SN forum). i posted once the info about some Stevie event and many thanked me. then those same people turned around in another thread and started yelling at me to never dare show up in SN forum again. i was like - dude - decide: you want the info that i shared with you, or you want me to stay outta here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Besides, the actual review doesn't even support the sensationalistic headline.
exactly. it's a very neutral review. people going stir-crazy about it all over social media makes no sense. but then again when did this fandom make any sense?

guess people are too used to revitalized / reinvigorated / better without LB PR nonesense.

you know, coming into the fandom late i had no reason not to believe when people insisted SN is just as good now as she always was. then i watched and listened to some of her perforamnces from 70s. and man did that woman have a charisma! people are selling her short insisting that she's just as fantastic now as she was then.

Quote:
An old friend of mine used to say "What do you expect from a hog but a grunt?"
Quote:
Thanks for this, I now have to clean the coffee off my keyboard and screen...
this is so very sad.

so now i'm gonna be like all others complaining about the current state of these forums. in the old times calling fellow posters pigs, hogs, or whatever nasty names some who obviously are trying to bully people away can come up with while some others cheer them on would not be tolerated. and no this cannot be justified as a joke or j/k or so funny. the fact that i see these people still on here posting today and trying to somehow make themseles victims - because i dare to post reviews on The Ledge - and no, it is not the first time i posted a review in this forum - i posted at least 1 other that i can remember but i don't keep track of my posts as closely as some apparently! (and then Gldstwmn inexplicably posted exact same one 3 posts down i guess because she sees red when my posts appear in her view ) just signifies sad state of these boards.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 11-24-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly. I'm never going to think Lindsey didn't have a hand in his own demise with Fleetwood Mac. On the other side of that I don't think the people who hate Stevie are going to change their minds about anything. Its just the way it is. When you start calling people troll, stans or snowflake no one will be interested in the point you're trying to make either if that's really your goal. Not talking about you Mike.
When you start calling people hogs no one will be interested in the point you're trying to make either if that's really your goal.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
When you start calling people hogs no one will be interested in the point you're trying to make either if that's really your goal.
I didn't call anyone a hog. That was a metaphor. You can Google it. Do you have any original thoughts? You know, ones that you express using your own words? No? Perhaps you're a parrot? And yes I'm suggesting that you may be a parrot. See the difference?

Last edited by gldstwmn; 11-24-2018 at 11:57 PM..