User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2003, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Sounding dated?

Okee...I was just wondering which albums sound dated and which sound timeless? IYO.

White Album: a tad bit dated...but for the most part..Nope.

Rumours: NOT AT ALL, IMO...it sounds just as fresh today as I'm sure it did back in the day....I'm guessing as I was only 1 year old in 1977.

Tusk: NOPE...sounds wierd and crazy and not at all like I would peg it as being from 1979!!

Mirage: a lil dated, but IMO, Gypsy is timeless...

Tango in the Night: most dated of all albums, just due to the instantly recognizable 80's sound...but I LOVE Tango because I love the 80's sound...and it's tied with Rumours/Tusk as fave FM album.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I picked...

"Mirage" as the album with a dated sound. For along time it was my favorite FM album, But that now belongs to "Tusk" which I think is timeless...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-31-2003, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Sounding dated?

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Tango in the Night: most dated of all albums, just due to the instantly recognizable 80's sound...but I LOVE Tango because I love the 80's sound...and it's tied with Rumours/Tusk as fave FM album. [/B]
Because the members of Fleetwood Mac have had such strong musical sensibilities about what makes a "good" song, most of their albums will be standing indefinitely!

However, I do agree that Tango does sound a bit dated. It's that old synthesizer-happy thing. It's my least favorite album of the Rumours line-up.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah I definitely vote for Mirage (sans Gypsy, like Christy says), and the white album. Tango is not totally dated, IMHO - the hit singles have a certain 80s sound, but except Big Love are not distractingly 80s. Seven Wonders, Little Lies, Everywhere etc just fit into that category of 'good songs that happened to be made in the 80s', and for me aren't as dated as many criticise, or at least that's not in the least an important critique. Not that this thread was about criticism.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 01-31-2003 at 08:01 AM..
Old 01-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree about Tango but for me I strongly associate Tusk with the year 1979 specifically and the new wave experimental pop stuff that was floating around by quirky guys like Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe and Joe Jackson. Sara being outside of that being standard Nicks and probably much of the reason I finally got a CD version of Tusk.

The blues albums are sort of dated to a specific period of time in English music where that was a progression of a major theme from The Stones on.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Tusk" is the only album that doesn't sound dated. "Rumours" DOES have that 70s classic rock sound for sure. I does not sound like something that would come out today.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think they all sound dated. I love the stuff from the 70's the most.

N.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours has some undated songs but listen to the little guitar solo things in You Make Lovin' Fun...it doesn't get more 70's sounding than that!!

I agree that Tango is very 80's but really -the hit songs still sound to me like they could be hit songs on the radio today-I mean synthesizers are still used today. And the non-hit songs, well I don't think Welcome to The Room...Sara fits in any (ehmm) timespace.

I think Mirage is actually sort of timeless in a sense because it's not total 80's over production and a lot of the songs are 50's flavored !
Old 01-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by nae
I think they all sound dated.
I totally agree. I don't think "dated" is a bad thing though at all. To me, most of the White Album and Rumours sounds totally 70s classic rock. A lot of Tusk has that late 70s/very early 80s sound (which I guess Lindsey was one of the pioneers of) all over it. In contrast to most people's opinions I think Mirage actually has stood the test of time the best, simply because half the album already sounded like the 50s anyway! So yea, it sounds REALLY dated, but it doesn't sound really "80s". Tango In The Night, yes, signature 80s pop (with the exception of the pre-guitar solo section of Tango In The Night and Mystified.)

They're all absolutely awesome, and I love the fact that they're music has evolved with time...I would have got bored of a Fleetwood Mac who only made White Album/Rumours-sound songs.

Old 01-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Cool ya'll!!

What a great discussion this has turned into!! I agree that sounding dated is not a bad thing...I mean, it doesn't change the way I feel about the music. The "sound" of FM is so unique that you can pretty much spot it instantly anywhere you go...but yet, there's an evolution of their music too! That's only ONE reason I love this band!! If you take a lil while and listen to their albums back to back from the very first album to this new album coming out...it's absolutely frickin amazing stuff....so much AWESOME music from various personalities...which is another thread in and of itself.

Mirage is very 50's inspired...I agree. Tusk most DEF is the least dated...in that it's just WIERD sounding...and is just off the map!! Even listening to Danny's, Bob's and Peter's music...it transcends time....it's so etheral, really....I really do think every member of FM is from another planet...far, far away. I've NEVER in my life been touched, amazed, awed, in love with a band as I am this one...and Lindsey has frickin changed my life!! I truly believe God sends you music/people to touch your life...and for me, that is Fleetwood Mac (along with Justin Guarini)!!
Old 02-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Justin that guy from that show American Idol?oooooooK

Old 02-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Cool ya'll!!

"I've NEVER in my life been touched, amazed, awed, in love with a band as I am this one..."

I love the way you put that, I feel the same way.

Nae
Old 02-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, none of the albums sound like they could come out today. IMHO, the most dated is Tango.
Sofie