User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Mike Campbell and Neil Finn have had legendary careers before joining the band. They have their own very public images/personas.
And those personas are being subsumed beneath the Rumours juggernaut. Even the Rumours band was a prisoner of the Rumours juggernaut forever after. What do you think the Classic East West promoters and agents wanted for the customers in July 2017 — a Kiln House experience?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When the band announced this tour with Neil and Mike I pretty much guessed 90 per cent of what the setlist would be (which is pretty much the same as it's always been) including two Neil Finn tracks, although it's very telling they have already dropped one of those. (Is anyone really going to this tour thinking I really hope I hear Neil Finn sing Monday Morning and Second Hand News!!?)

I was a little more impressed with the setlist for the first few shows than I thought I would be but they've already dropped three of the most interesting songs. All the promises Mick and Stevie made about delving deep into their back catalogue is really just three additions (I'm not including Oh Well because that is a well worn live tune), Black Magic Woman, Tell Me All The Things You Do and All Over Again. Given Lindsey's songs were a big part of the set I do find that hugely disappointing.

Imagine what they could do if they dropped Mick's drum solo in World Turning. Does anyone actually enjoy it? Given Mick's importance in Fleetwood Mac it's funny that, for me, he's the one member of the band I really don't care if he's there or not and that solo is just a huge ego-thing for him because it adds nothing at all to the show other than a bathroom break for the audience.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
When the band announced this tour with Neil and Mike I pretty much guessed 90 per cent of what the setlist would be (which is pretty much the same as it's always been) including two Neil Finn tracks, although it's very telling they have already dropped one of those. (Is anyone really going to this tour thinking I really hope I hear Neil Finn sing Monday Morning and Second Hand News!!?)

I was a little more impressed with the setlist for the first few shows than I thought I would be but they've already dropped three of the most interesting songs. All the promises Mick and Stevie made about delving deep into their back catalogue is really just three additions (I'm not including Oh Well because that is a well worn live tune), Black Magic Woman, Tell Me All The Things You Do and All Over Again. Given Lindsey's songs were a big part of the set I do find that hugely disappointing.

Imagine what they could do if they dropped Mick's drum solo in World Turning. Does anyone actually enjoy it? Given Mick's importance in Fleetwood Mac it's funny that, for me, he's the one member of the band I really don't care if he's there or not and that solo is just a huge ego-thing for him because it adds nothing at all to the show other than a bathroom break for the audience.
Good lord yes, yes, yes.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Precisely. None of that material has been reimagined as anything other than a faithful duplication of the old albums. Even the general progression of the traditional set is kept (The Chain and Dreams early on, acoustic songs halfway through, and Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop as closers).

If the band wants the big money, it needs to do this. I would never blame the band for doing this, but I certainly won't pretend that something else is happening musically.
i find it interesting that Don't Dream Is Over is now played acoustically at the last few shows. i listened to it for Pittsburgh because i wanted to hear Neil's dedication and it made a complete sense there. but in that Ottawa review it's again described as acoustic rendition. i thought full band version i heard was a horrible cover and Neil looked like he's almost in pain bracing and trying to not hear what's happening around him while he was playing it. maybe he finally just put his foot down and decided to do it acoustically instead?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well when Lindsey was there, at least it gave a chance to fans to talk to him and get stuff signed. and Lindsey's seeming enjoyment of it made it fun to watch. now it's just a complete waste.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That didn't happen to Billy or Rick, either. Steve is full of it.
No. Total figment of my overactive imagination. They totally didn’t dress up Billy like Lindsey when they did that initial press conference and photoshoot.

And, I’m sure it was purely coincidental that Billy played a white Les Paul Custom. I never said that it didn’t end or that Billy came into his own, but he was minor enough that they could do that with him.

Quote:
Unfortunately for the band's music, nobody played the idiosyncratic (and syncretistic) studio visionary experimenting with instrumentation and vocals and concocting elaborate arrangements (the Brian Wilsonish musical equivalent of "personal filmmaking") to "shake people's preconceptions about pop."
Which is why this version has more potential, at least in the studio, of making a great record.

Quote:
Every configuration of the band since 1987 has been profoundly unwilling or unable to even partially shake off the Rumours band and its effect on the culture.
Even in their solo/duo sets. That will never change. For any of them. I’m not sure that should be the goal, though.

Sometimes, swapping out a few spices here or there can be enough of a change to warrant that change.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That drum solo being moved back up into the main set is one of the biggest abominations of this tour. It seemed to be shorter and shorter over the last few tours and with it being in the encore since ‘03, it was naturally not as good of a time for beer or bathroom breaks. But back to mid set like it’s 1987? Who thinks this is a good idea?

I said this elsewhere, drop the drum solo and let John play the bass solo in The Chain for five minutes straight and I’d find that 1000% preferable.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. Total figment of my overactive imagination. They totally didn’t dress up Billy like Lindsey when they did that initial press conference and photoshoot.

And, I’m sure it was purely coincidental that Billy played a white Les Paul Custom. I never said that it didn’t end or that Billy came into his own, but he was minor enough that they could do that with him.

Which is why this version has more potential, at least in the studio, of making a great record.

Even in their solo/duo sets. That will never change. For any of them. I’m not sure that should be the goal, though.

Sometimes, swapping out a few spices here or there can be enough of a change to warrant that change.
These pictures prove one thing - the 80’s fashion is truly terrible. They’re all bad but Rick Vito makes my eyes hurt.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
These pictures prove one thing - the 80’s fashion is truly terrible. They’re all bad but Rick Vito makes my eyes hurt.
The sad thing is this was pretty tame by ‘80s standards. Hell, this was the least ridiculous this lineup ever looked.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The sad thing is this was pretty tame by ‘80s standards. Hell, this was the least ridiculous this lineup ever looked.
Oh man Stevie had some doozies over the years.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Oh man Stevie had some doozies over the years.
Billy and Rick got a little ridiculous as it went along, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It actually seems like “old” people trying to look hip and cool. Hard to believe considering their ages today, but they were definitely old at that point!

Stevie kinda looks like she’s still wearing similar outfits. Wtf is Chris doing? Rick wins though....
Old 11-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i find it interesting that Don't Dream Is Over is now played acoustically at the last few shows. i listened to it for Pittsburgh because i wanted to hear Neil's dedication and it made a complete sense there. but in that Ottawa review it's again described as acoustic rendition. i thought full band version i heard was a horrible cover and Neil looked like he's almost in pain bracing and trying to not hear what's happening around him while he was playing it. maybe he finally just put his foot down and decided to do it acoustically instead?
I agree with you. And, if he didn't like how his song sounded, I hope he did. It's his song and he's earned the right. I really do hope Neil and Mike don't become "the unintended consequences" of this tour.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Billy and Rick got a little ridiculous as it went along, too.
Agreed. Mick's uniform, as ridiculous as he looks, is largely unchanged. Christine weathered thru the 80's okay. I have to say, once John got rid of the cut-offs, I think he's been pretty consistent throughout the years. I think it's Stevie's big "80's" Hair coupled with some horrendous outfits that really gives her the edge.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie will say ANYTHING to fit her narrative. ANYTHING.