User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
She was offered "Call Me" but turned it down. Worked well for Blondie.
Yes, but only after Debbie Harry completely re-wrote the lyrics. Apparently Giorgio Moroder's English wasn't that great, so his lyrics were awkward. The original title was either "Man Machine" or "Machine Man." The song that Stevie was given was not necessarily a guaranteed hit.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re: Springsteen.....I remember this as well.....and she DID change the title to "BABY, Don't You Lose Heart!"

Re: YES.....they also offered her "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" and she turned it down.

Re: "Call Me".....it ws offered to someone else like Pat Benatar or Martha Davis after Stevie turned it down....that's when Debbie convinced Georgio to let her rewrite it with him!

There's also Warren Zevon's "Reconsider Me", which is such a great song. I really think Stevie could have done a killer version of this song if A) she had put her heart and soul into it, and B) Jimmy hadn't pushed it on her at a point when they were either just breaking up or just not really getting along (can't remember what it was at that point....I THINK they had already broken up.....or were breaking up!)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Yes offered her the instrumental track that became "Love Will Find a Way" Courtney also reportedly offered Stevie "Malibu" for TISL which ended up the second single from Hole's Celebrity Skin..that one she should have taken.She could have dunped That Made me Stronger for it.
You're correct that Courtney and Billy Corgan set out to write a song(s) for Stevie, But when they finished "Malibu", Courtney loved the song so much she ducked out and decided to keep it for Hole instead (she admitted this on twitter last year). Supposedly they also wrote a song for her called When It Falls Apart. Stevie recorded a bunch of material for TISL during 1996 for her next solo album, but put it all on hold when The Dance came together. Afterwards came "Enchanted", then she went to work on a whole new set of songs in late 98' through late 2000. It would be interesting to to hear what was recorded pre-"Dance" era.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

During the whole Corgan & Hole supposed writing campaign for Stevie, there was also another group called "Blinker The Star" that was either recording with her, for her or something. I just came across the article not to long ago-and looked up the band, who is still around, but haven't made much of a splash.
I also thought there was a Dave Koz song FOR Stevie. Seems I'm missing a few people. I had no idea about YES though. SN doing Owner Of A Lonely Heart w/ Waddy tearing up the guitar solo...I can see it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 02-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

I don't have anything to add to this discussion except to say that I love this thread. I think it's so interesting that Stevie didn't record "These Dreams," because it's such a great song. I always think that Stevie was offered "Black Velvet," but I know that's not true. That would have been cool, too.

"Thrown down through the arms of sleep she fell through the, ivory morning"
Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Re: Springsteen.....I remember this as well.....and she DID change the title to "BABY, Don't You Lose Heart!"

Re: YES.....they also offered her "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" and she turned it down.

Re: "Call Me".....it ws offered to someone else like Pat Benatar or Martha Davis after Stevie turned it down....that's when Debbie convinced Georgio to let her rewrite it with him!

There's also Warren Zevon's "Reconsider Me", which is such a great song. I really think Stevie could have done a killer version of this song if A) she had put her heart and soul into it, and B) Jimmy hadn't pushed it on her at a point when they were either just breaking up or just not really getting along (can't remember what it was at that point....I THINK they had already broken up.....or were breaking up!)
"Baby, Don't You Lose Heart" is a reasonable and modest gender-neutral change to the title, making more appropriate if a woman is to sing it. I just don't buy the story - that the song did not come to fruition because Bruce had issues with the gender switch. What is so damn precious about an innocuous song, where a few words are changed? I don't think Bruce is that fickle.

Also, if this song was ever officially considered, was Bruce going to be involved in some manner, as this news tibbit implied? Stevie makes small changes to almost all of songs she's covered. I don't thing the publishers of the song don't have artistic veto power if the writer has issue with a particular rendition; this is strictly a business transaction.

Does anyone know if the the song had any development in Stevie's camp? I suppose it amounts to nothing more than speculative comments. No song, just a little press.

Was the song ever officially slated to be recorded? Did any recording take place. It was likely a non-starter,

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-22-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
During the whole Corgan & Hole supposed writing campaign for Stevie, there was also another group called "Blinker The Star" that was either recording with her, for her or something. I just came across the article not to long ago-and looked up the band, who is still around, but haven't made much of a splash.
Jordon Zadorozny, from Blinker The Star, wrote a song with Courtney that was intended for Stevie. According the US copyright site, the only song Courtney & Jordon have submitted jointly for copyright was "Reasons To Be Beautiful" -- which was released on Hole's 'Celebrity Skin' in 1998.
Hard to say if that was the song they wrote for Stevie, however.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Jordon Zadorozny, from Blinker The Star, wrote a song with Courtney that was intended for Stevie. According the US copyright site, the only song Courtney & Jordon have submitted jointly for copyright was "Reasons To Be Beautiful" -- which was released on Hole's 'Celebrity Skin' in 1998.
Hard to say if that was the song they wrote for Stevie, however.
ha, cool! there's a vid of Blinker The Star and LB noodling around in the studio that was uploaded by the band some time last year - since the song they were recording with LB made their last year's album, i believe. looking at LB it must have been some time in maybe 2001-2002 (so that must have been after the time when they were writing song(s) for SN?) -

Jordon Zadorozny seems to be a really nice guy and he is around on FB, so you guys can probably ask him about the song you are wondering about.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was around 1997 that they were writing for Stevie. At the time Zadorozny said:

"Courtney and I wrote a song together to give to Stevie Nicks. It was very California, very Stevie. It was a total collaboration and the song was written pretty quickly."

"We wrote it quite quickly, actually. She's definitely an extraordinary person. I found her quite easy to work with and hang out with. Her mind moves quickly and so does mine, so it was fun ... We just sat down with acoustic guitars actually. We worked really well together. I've actually never sat down one-on-one with acoustic guitars and written. With her, it was great because we both have little patience and she was very quick to say, 'That sucks,' and I was very quick to say, 'Don't sing that.'"

Here's a Dance article that mentions the song, in passing.

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...v2&id=604&c=18
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
"Baby, Don't You Lose Heart" is a reasonable and modest gender-neutral change to the title, making more appropriate if a woman is to sing it. I just don't buy the story - that the song did not come to fruition because Bruce had issues with the gender switch. What is so damn precious about an innocuous song, where a few words are changed? I don't think Bruce is that fickle.

Also, if this song was ever officially considered, was Bruce going to be involved in some manner, as this news tibbit implied? Stevie makes small changes to almost all of songs she's covered. I don't thing the publishers of the song don't have artistic veto power if the writer has issue with a particular rendition; this is strictly a business transaction.

Does anyone know if the the song had any development in Stevie's camp? I suppose it amounts to nothing more than speculative comments. No song, just a little press.

Was the song ever officially slated to be recorded? Did any recording take place. It was likely a non-starter,
As I stated before, Stevie said Bruce never sent her the song. It's the dumbest myth ever.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

While a very beautiful song.... I think that "These Dreams" seems far more well suited for Nancy Wilson or even Pat Benatar. I would have to re-imagine this in an entirely different key to "hear" Stevie sounding right for this one-or is it just me?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Besides Malibu and When It All Falls Apart, I know Courtney also wrote Pacific Coast Highway for Stevie to sing originally. I think the problem is when Courtney wrote these songs for her, it just so happens to have been right when Stevie had no real album in the works. Malibu is basically from during the Dance, and PCH was on Hole's album Nobody's Daughter that was recorded in 09. If Stevie was ever actively working on an album when Courtney had a song for her, i'm sure it would've come into fruition, but since CL doesn't know when Stevie's next album will be, she probably gets impatient and just records them herself.
Here's the PCH demo if you've never heard it (I prefer it to Hole's studio version), I actually love this song and Malibu. Courtney did them both amazingly when I saw her live. I love that she's such a Stevie fan and even has pictures of SN framed in her living room. Too cute.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Didn't tom petty offer her I Won't Back Down?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

Prince offered her to WRITE 'Purple Rain'
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding the Bruce song, I read it in one of the Dreams fanzines that were popular back in the late 80's, early 90's. I'll look through my stash to see which issue it was and the exact quote.

I have changed, but you remain ageless