User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
doesn't matter.....that's the goal of merchandising... whatever the reason they bought tickets, once they're there, and she's talking about the songs on the album and she's PLAYING the songs on the album, you have a captive audience so to speak, and if they LIKED the songs off the album that they heard her perform, they are more likely to BUY the album right then and there when they are still in the glow of the moment (and as a souvenir of sorts) than once they get all the way home, days later, have to make it a point to remember to either go buy a CD or go on iTunes or wherever and download it. By then people think, Do I REALLY need it??

It's like why they have candy and gossip rags and such at the checkout in stores.... it's called impulse buying. It would mean more ka-ching in her coffers.

Now if as someone says, sales at shows (i.e. through non retailers) don't count towards Billboard rankings, and if in fact this is why Stevie and her people didn't have them for sale at shows, that would seriously damage my opinion of her/them.... because that would say they aren't about getting actual music out to actual fans (you know, all that blah blah in interviews about how "the real reason I write songs is to make people feel better, to bring some joy to them for 3 minutes of their day") but all about the image-polishing prestige of Billboard rankings. (not that I think those don't count but to piss on fans who keep you in private jets and all like that is crap)
First of all, I'm pretty sure they did indeed have the album displayed for sale at the shows.

So anyways, the thing is, as someone already mentioned, the tour did nothing to give the album any late boost or spike in sales. As far as I can tell, it didn't re-enter the charts or have any notable sale increase at all. So even with her performing some of those new songs and talking about them, people still didn't go and buy the album.

I very honestly believe that the majority of people who go to Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac or any 'classic' artist concerts go to see a greatest hits show.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A lot of people near me at the concert I attended appeared excited and into the 24KG and IYD songs, even dancing and singing along. People have maybe streamed the songs rather than buying them?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that CD sales sold at concerts aren't reflected on Billboard's charts.
Years ago, some artist (I want to say Prince?) arranged for their latest CD to be given away with the purchase of each concert ticket. Those CDs were not considered to have been "sold" and so did not factor into Billboard's sales chart. On the other hand, I understood that a CD sold as separate purchase at a concert venue did in fact count as a "sale."
Old 08-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Perspective and context are important. People have a hard time accepting that an artist's commercial success on new material is finite. Every big artist has experienced this in his/her career, and yet the scale by which success is measured remains. This naturally sets everyone up for disappointment.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Perspective and context are important. People have a hard time accepting that an artist's commercial success on new material is finite. Every big artist has experienced this in his/her career, and yet the scale by which success is measured remains. This naturally sets everyone up for disappointment.
Accurate!

I think it would be so cool if concertgoers got copies of new albums with purchase of tickets! At least you'd have no question that your music was being heard.

I brought my best friend to one of Stevie's recent concerts and she was captivated by Moonlight and New Orleans, both recent songs. I'm proud of Stevie for revamping Moonlight so that people will be forced to listen and understand what it means. It was actually my best friend's favorite song of the night other than Eo17. I don't think she would have given the album version a second listen had she not seen Stevie perform it the way she did!
Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

To put things into perspective even further. I was reading something about Christine's 2004 release In The Meantime. She did not promote it and most never knew it existed. However in 2004, it sold 50,000 copies. Not sure how many more it has sold since then. By today's standard, that album would have sold pretty good but in 2004 that was a horrible showing. I think Buck/McVie would love to sell 50,000 copies of their latest album.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Buck/McVie would love to sell 50,000 copies of their latest album.
To be fair they've already sold over 50,000 copies in the UK alone. In just 10 weeks.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
To be fair they've already sold over 50,000 copies in the UK alone. In just 10 weeks.
Oh wow that is really something, that is twice the sales in the USA, right?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh wow that is really something, that is twice the sales in the USA, right?
I think it's sold between 35 and 40k in the US so far. I think. But it's obviously a far better achievement to sell 50k in the UK.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

24kg sold 33,000 it's first week in the USA and is now around 100,000 in the USA
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Buckvie has sold more than 24kg has in the UK

Last edited by TheWildHeart67; 08-20-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Old 08-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
The Buckvie has sold more than 24kg has in the UK
I never understood why she was never embraced in the UK as much as she has been in the US. Same goes for Linda Ronstadt.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a strange thing. Just like in the US the Aussie band "Divinyls" are considered a "one hit wonder" for their song, "I touch myself," yet they had huge success and many hits in OZ and Europe.
The US band "Scissor Sisters" has a tiny cult following in their native US but in England have had number one albums and songs and one of the top selling albums of the 2000's.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not A Flop!

It wasn't for me. I'm still listening to it and got to see the tour 2X. The MSG date was awesome. To see her sing Twilight that night was HOF worthy.
Success!!!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Easily her strongest album since Wild Heart so definitely not a flop in my book.
I feel the same way about In Your Dreams.