Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink New EAGLES album

Hey I picked it up today...against my will...(I DESPISE going to Walmart)...but I digress. The album is average at best (my rating is a 6.5 outta 10). I enjoy "How Long"..."Somebody"..."No More Cloudy Days"...and thats about it. Their vocals, however, sound amazing thruout.

However if you ARE an Eagles fan...you'll be glad to know the 2 disc set is only $11.98.

~B~
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

How is the lineup now? I heard there has been some member changes
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Frey, Henley, Schmidt and Walsh are the lineup...no Felder.

Can't wait to get the album!!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't really have any interest in buying it but I do need to go to Wal-Mart this week.
Why is this album only available at Wal-Mart?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
I don't really have any interest in buying it but I do need to go to Wal-Mart this week.
Why is this album only available at Wal-Mart?
Cause the Eagles obviously went to bed with Walmart.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This should have been a single disc there is way too much bland filler and it will make no one forget One of These Nights or Hotel California ..but the highlights make it worth it particularly if you are like me and grew up listening to that particular brand of frozen nosed El Lay noir rock ..and the voacls are stellar. It is comparable to Fleetwood Mac putting out a brand new album but with Mirage era vocals.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought the Eagles cd yesterday and I agree there are some bland fillers but as a whole the double disc is great. 20 songs 11 bucks you can't go wrong.

I think there are quite a few highlights on the cds. The first disc tends to be more on the older eagles style. How Long, Busy Being Fabulous, Guilty of the Crime, Waiting in the Weeds and No More Cloudy days are all great songs on this disc. How long and Busy Being Fabulous just sound like great radio hits. Guilty of the crime is Joe at his best and really adds some funk into the beginning of the cd. Waiting in the Weeds i just found to be a great Henley song. No more Cloudy days i can't say enough great vocals and words.

The 2nd cd kicks off with the title track Long Road Otu of Eden which reminds me of a hotel california epic about the war and state of the world. Somebody is another radio friendly sounding song by Frey love to hear him rock not enough of it on the discs. Frail Grasp on a Big picture is another Henley commentary on the world. He does a lot of it so I tried to just get over the political and enough his words. He does the same on business as usual. The last song I enjoy on the 2nd disc is Center of the Universe Frey and Henley each sing and the harmonies are great.

I hope this helps anyone who was debating buyin the cd.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

I am DYING to hear this. $11.98!!?!? Seriously!!??! Woot, I might be able to afford it then. Though I'm sure it's higher here in Canada (if it's available at all...sure we have Wal-Mart and all, but things have a habit of not making their way across the border), it can't be THAT much more. Maybe $14.98 or so, which is still great.

Some friends and I saw Glenn Frey solo live last summer, and he actually performed "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" back then, and I've been dying to hear it again ever since. It's so lovely live, I hope the CD does it justice. That's the only track I have heard thus far, so I'm really really curious to pick up the album. Filler or not, I adore the Eagles (though they are still second to the Mac, lol), so I'm quite sure I'll enjoy it.

Follow me "on tour" this fall! www.ladylucky49.wordpress.com. Bloggin' the Seeds We Sow tour, from the view of a traveling fan.

http://baublesandbeadles.etsy.com ~*~Handmade Beaded Jewelry And Accessories

~~~The hurt that you feel makes you strong... Lindsey Buckingham~~~

Dancin' Across The USA: Lindsey Tour '06-'07
Ten shows. Ten thousand miles. My favorite song in the setlist. Hugs, kisses, and handshakes. Heaven.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LngPrmsdRd View Post

Some friends and I saw Glenn Frey solo live last summer, and he actually performed "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" back then, and I've been dying to hear it again ever since. It's so lovely live, I hope the CD does it justice. That's the only track I have heard thus far, so I'm really really curious to pick up the album. Filler or not, I adore the Eagles (though they are still second to the Mac, lol), so I'm quite sure I'll enjoy it.
They have Walmarts in Canada sorry to hear that...but I will say if you like "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" then you should be happy with the album since it is one of the weakest tracks on there and one I would have axed if it was a single disc.There really are some fine songs and the title track is one .Even at over 10 minutes it never gets boring and the Walsh solos in it are awesome.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Got it!

I bought this last night @ Wal-Mart, & when I got into my car, on the radio I swear, my local, classic rock radio station was playing How Long. I just heard the end of it. It was so weird because I hadn't heard it at all. Anyway, I've been playing it on my way back & forth to work. I've almost gotten through the first CD. I really like it. They sound really good. It kind of has the vibes of Hotel California & The Long Run.

Lee
Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I bought this last night @ Wal-Mart, & when I got into my car, on the radio I swear, my local, classic rock radio station was playing How Long. I just heard the end of it. It was so weird because I hadn't heard it at all. Anyway, I've been playing it on my way back & forth to work. I've almost gotten through the first CD. I really like it. They sound really good. It kind of has the vibes of Hotel California & The Long Run.

Lee
yeah they sound really good...i just think the songs are boring.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
yeah they sound really good...i just think the songs are boring.
Pretty much how I feel about Say You Will.

I was really wanting to dislike the album (since I've had this hatred for the Eagles the past few years), but I've heard the first 7 tracks of the first disc and I love it so far. It's really got a feel that seems to be geared toward COUNTRY radio airplay (and at the same time, a retro feel of their first couple of albums) The opening track sounds like an old Tim Schmit era Poco tune.

I don't think the songs are all that boring, just that the production is so meticulous that all the rough edges are filed off. I can see where Don Felder got pissed off that Henley & Frey would take so long over each little sound of the instruments. I can hear that without him, that "edge" that they used to have is now gone.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Looks like tons of people bought this thing... First weeks sale indicate about 700,000 units sold. That's HUGE!!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Looks like tons of people bought this thing... First weeks sale indicate about 700,000 units sold. That's HUGE!!
That's Wal-Mart shoppers for you...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Eagles Black Out Britney

Eagles Black Out Britney
by David Jenison

Britney Spears might sit at number one when the Billboard charts come out Wednesday, but according to Wal-Mart, it's the Eagles who truly soared to the top.

A year ago, the easy-rocking supergroup inked a deal with Wal-Mart that led to the release of an exclusive deluxe DVD reissue of Farewell 1 Tour—Live from Melbourne. More important, the arrangement made Wal-Mart and Sam's Club the exclusive U.S. distributors for the band's first studio album in 27 years, Long Road Out of Eden.

The critically praised double album hit the big-box stores—as well as the Eagles' Website—last week. And per figures released Tuesday by Wal-Mart, Eden sold more than 700,000 copies in its first week. That's the second biggest opening sales week of the year, behind Kanye West's Graduation, which moved 957,000 copies in September, to the chagrin of 50 Cent.

Still, it'll be Spears' Blackout sitting atop the Billboard 200 despite selling a fraction as much—about 289,000, sources say.

Because of its exclusive arrangement with Wal-Mart, the Eagles' new album does not qualify for the Billboard 200. In fact, Billboard notes that titles "not generally available at retail" appear on the Top Comprehensive Albums chart instead, which covers catalog and proprietary releases. Fair or not, this means the Eagles will be a no-show on the Billboard 200, and Blackout will take the number one spot by default.

Nonetheless, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers set an undeniable sales record at Wal-Mart, the country's top music retailer.

"We were confident Eagles fans would embrace Long Road Out of Eden, but it has exceeded our first week projections," Gary Severson, Wal-Mart's senior vice president of entertainment, trumpeted in a statement.

"With the holiday season approaching, we are confident the double-CD package will be one of the biggest sellers in Wal-Mart history. We’ve notified the RIAA of the sales, to quickly certify Long Road Out of Eden’s multiplatinum status.”

Eagles manager Irving Azoff added: "The band produced and delivered an album of integrity that was in keeping with their legacy…and the fans responded. The phenomenal first-week sales of Long Road Out of Eden are a testament to Wal-Mart’s marketing and distribution.”

Meanwhile, across the pond, Eden was made available through general retail outlets, which allowed the album to sail past Blackout and give the Eagles their first U.K. number one. With several countries releasing their charts before the U.S., Eden has also already hit the top spot in Australia and the Netherlands.

The Eagles last topped the U.S. charts in 1994, when their live album Hell Freezes Over spent two weeks at number one.

I got this from eonline.com
Lee