User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Not That Funny, Mirage Video in Full

I'm looking for the entire version of "Not That Funny" from the Mirage video - not the 7:56 edited version on The Chain, but the full-blown 11 min.+ deal from the video. Does anybody have this? Does it exist? lol

Old 06-17-2002, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, I only have the shortened version from "the Chain." On another note, does anyone have I'm So afraid from the Mirage Vid? I've been looking forever, but can't find it.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not That Funny (& I'm So Afraid).

I'm glad you brought this up Nancy...because for aaaaages I've been confused about Not That Funny '82.......

The version that I have is in mp3 format (I don't have The Chain box set) and is labelled as L.A. '82.....but....not only is it shorter (7:56) than the Mirage Video version....but also...it's *different*!!.......

I never realised until by coincidence I listened to the mp3 and then watched the video on the same day and I realised that that little country-style solo Lindsey puts in after he lights up that......cigarette.....is actually different to the one on the mp3...it's similar...but not the same..........but it IS definitely from the same show because everything else (apart from the massively edited drum solo) sounds pretty much the same..........

....can anybody enlighten me as to what's the deal with these two versions....??.....

Also, one other thing, was the L.A. show worked on in the studio (like The Dance) after they did it???

Because all of their voices seem to be pretty much note-perfect, and this is definitely NOT the case in any of the other shows from the same tour......

jmn3......are you on Audiogalaxy....?....if you are I can send "I'm So Afraid" to your folder....

Old 06-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Not That Funny (& I'm So Afraid).

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
Also, one other thing, was the L.A. show worked on in the studio (like The Dance) after they did it???

Because all of their voices seem to be pretty much note-perfect, and this is definitely NOT the case in any of the other shows from the same tour......

How weird, so it's different in other ways, too? Here's my theory:

We know from Stevie's changing outfits on the video (and Lindsey's disappearing underwear line) that there were two shows edited together for the Mirage video. I don't think they worked on the vocals, just took the best of the two. The reason I don't think they reworked the vocals is because Lindsey's voice strains a couple of times and they didn't clean that up. The Chain and Go Your Own Way are two examples of that. Oddly enough, despite that fact, those are two of my favorite songs on the tape! lol

Unfortunately, this is only a guess. Anybody a little more knowledgable got an idea?

Old 06-18-2002, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There *were* two shows... I think they were recorded the same day too.

Laura.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They did 2 shows at the L.A. Forum-one on Oct. 21, 1982 and the next on Oct. 22nd. I believe the Mirage video is a mix of those 2 shows.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seteca, I am on AG, and my name there is also jmn3.....will it allow us to send things to individuals anymore?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3
Seteca, I am on AG, and my name there is also jmn3.....will it allow us to send things to individuals anymore?
Well, haha...I guess not...!!...Oh well....AG....R.I.P.....!!! Are you on Kazaa or WinMx...?? If you are then I get stick it up on there long enough for you to download it.....As a last resort I can email it to you but it's a huge file so I don't know if it will be email-friendly. Let me know.

Old 06-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not that funny full version

I have a full version from the Mirage video. If you have WinMX or AOLIM you can pm me and ask me to send it to you, I'll be glad to.

Matt
Old 06-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Hmm...

I have a feeling that there are parts of NTF on the "Chain" box set recording that aren't on the video "version" and it is more obvious that there are parts on the video "version" that aren't on the "Chain" box "version" so I would guess the FULL recording must have been about at least 12 or so minutes in length, (probably much longer though!) I think the video version clocks in at something like 10:38 so it sure would be cool someday to hear the COMPLETE version if it IS kicking around somewhere but who knows if we'll ever hear that!

John
Old 06-21-2002, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tape it!

When I first got my Mirage video I taped it on a tape recorder as I watched it. It wasn't too bad and I actually wore out both tapes almost!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE NTF. I love Lindsey on it...he's just so sexy in that clip. AND yes, he is smoking some mother nature but its all good! Im just surprised they could do that openly but rock stars can do anything I suppose

They key is to watch the video and play the cd at the same time and see what's missing. I don't really think its much...just some of the base vs guitar in the middle I think.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Not That Funny (& I'm So Afraid).

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
I never realised until by coincidence I listened to the mp3 and then watched the video on the same day and I realised that that little country-style solo Lindsey puts in after he lights up that......cigarette.....is actually different to the one on the mp3...it's similar...but not the same..........but it IS definitely from the same show because everything else (apart from the massively edited drum solo) sounds pretty much the same..........

There was some post-production tampering (or whatever you'd call it) of the soundtrack for the filmed concert. For example, the clavinet simulation on "You Make Loving Fun" was added later. And sometimes different parts of songs from each of the two nights filmed were edited together. Still, all in all, it's a pretty raw presentation, & the video manages to capture the essence of the actual performances. I can actually try to go through the vid scene by scene & break down which part came from which night, but that's probably a lot of silly work for nothing. I got to attend both shows & I taped them, which I often did in those days. Those tapes are buried under 20 years' worth of other garbage, & might be difficult to locate at this juncture. Offhand, I'd say that the majority of the video concert is from the opening night on the 21st, including "The Chain" & "Rhiannon."

Maybe the slight differences you're hearing between the box set & the soundtrack from the video are due to a possible remixing done on the box set version. Sometimes a remix brings a "hidden" element into audible view, so to speak.